Ed Norton off The Avengers.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Ed Norton off The Avengers.

Post by Halfshell »

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28327

Marvel feel "the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members."

Which basically translates as "he's not a team player." Not a surprise, considering from some accounts he basically tried to direct the last Hulk film himself.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I was never especially enamored with him in "The Incredile Hulk", anyway. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. I just felt nothing. In fact, I felt that way about mot of the cast for that movie, saw whatsisface that turned into the Abomination and otherwhatssface that was hinted at becoming the Leader. Theyy seemed like they had a little personality, anyway.

Banner can't be that hard a character to cover, anyway. Just get a nerdy white guy, "don't make me angry", and the special effects take care of the rest.

In regards to franchise continuity, well, if I can get over Terrence Howard-Don Cheadle, I can get over some guy replacing Ed Norton without issue.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

DrSpengler wrote:whatsisface that turned into the Abomination
Boo! Tim Roth should be in everything.
In regards to franchise continuity, well, if I can get over Terrence Howard-Don Cheadle, I can get over some guy replacing Ed Norton without issue.
:up:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Hard to be bothered, he was fine as Banner (though him being upset at the dull stuff getting cut out suggests he didn't really get it) but not as much a standout as RDJ was as Stark. It'll take some really amazing performances by Captain America and Thor for the Avengers not to basically be Iron Man and Those Other Guys anyway.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek wrote:Hard to be bothered, he was fine as Banner (though him being upset at the dull stuff getting cut out suggests he didn't really get it) but not as much a standout as RDJ was as Stark. It'll take some really amazing performances by Captain America and Thor for the Avengers not to basically be Iron Man and Those Other Guys anyway.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking.

Norton just didn't own the role the way Downey did as Tony. If they were to replace Downey a lot of people would cry foul. But Norton? I doubt most of the people who'd even notice would care all that much.
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

Man this is such disappointing news! I thought Norton did a great job with the Hulk.

By the way what did Edward Norton do during the last Hulk to piss off everyone at Marvel?

The last I had heard he was supposed to be helping with directing it and writing it or something like that.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

miked23 wrote:The last I had heard he was supposed to be helping with directing it and writing it or something like that.
The problem was that he was helping with writing and directing The Incredible Hulk when nobody asked him to.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

DrSpengler wrote:The problem was that he was helping with writing and directing The Incredible Hulk when nobody asked him to.
All that creative control was part of his contract though. Maybe they didn't expect him to execute it to that extent, but it's ironic they were originally so keen to get him they chucked those concessions at him.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I quite liked Nortons performance in "The Incredible Hulk" I have a hard time imagining who will replace him... just hope it's not the kid from Spiderman.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
TMM

Post by TMM »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:I quite liked Nortons performance in "The Incredible Hulk" I have a hard time imagining who will replace him... just hope it's not the kid from Spiderman.
well, it's Mark Ruffalo to replace him - should be officially announced at comic-con
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

It's probably for the best. The Avangers is going to be a team movie and all the actors need to at least be on the same ground.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Er, one of them's going to be Robert Downey Jr. To make them all on the same ground as that they'd need to round up Richard Burton, John Hurt, Nicol Williamson, James Coburn, Richard Harris and Johnny Depp.
Sades

Post by Sades »

http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx ... =hollywood

Funnily enough, the part that really caught my eye in this article was this:
Earlier this week, Walk the Line star Joaquin Phoenix, who claimed to be retiring from acting in 2008 to pursue a rap career, was also linked to the role.
lolwut.

edit:Oh, now I remember.

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2010/ju ... ntary-real

Bwahahaha.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Tim Roth is awesome in Lie To Me and he did really well in Reservoir Dogs.
Destruction is my specialty
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

So when's this supposed to be out?

Don't they still have to do individual films for Thor, Cap. America, and Lantern?
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

They're filming at least the Thor film right now. Thor's supposed to be out May next year, Cap in July; then The Avengers in 2012.

(Green Lantern is a DC Comics hero; the team film he'd need to get out ahead of is a Justice League one. Ant Man is one other Avneger who has had a solo movie in consideration; but it looks like that film will come out later, and may even be about one of the other characters to take that mantle.)
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Nathan Fillion should have been cast as Banner...nuff said!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Well, there was very serious talk that he was going to be Hank Pym, so serious that it came up in Joss Whedon's Comic-Con stuff...

Personally, I'm holding out for him to be Guy Gardener, bringing Green Lantern in again... Maybe doesn't have quite the voice I'd imagined of Guy - though, as Halfshell, I believe, pointed out to me, the Fillion does have several voices -but, certainly has the smirk....

Banner would've been cool. He'd need to go back to his pre-Capt Hammer build, I think, but otherwise... Oh, wait - you said nuff said :o

(As far as Whedon alums go, some rumor about Morena Baccarin has floated... And I don't think I'm the only one on the net, either, who can totally see Eliza Dushku as Tigra...)
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

To quote my oft-name changing cohort and tag team partner, Nathan Fillion should be in every movie...
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Galvatron91 wrote: tag team partner

There are like.... four people left to get that joke.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."