Idiot downloads music files, gets caught, writes long whiny article about how unfair the world is...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Springer007 wrote:from foxnews, if i read correct, it was close to 450 grand to 600 grand, either way it is a huge figure. and either way both the teen and the RIAA itself look like asses.

Unless he was a super genius i don't think that guy was a teenager considering he was doing a PhD. More likely he was late 20's.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Jetfire wrote:Unless he was a super genius i don't think that guy was a teenager considering he was doing a PhD. More likely he was late 20's.
holy crap, if that is the case, he should get his money back considering a PhD should know better truthfully. i'll have to read a bit more into the case then and be further appalled...
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

http://blogs.computerworld.com/riaa_win ... uit_090803
The trial was an almost entirely one-sided affair. Plaintiffs built their case with forensic evidence collected by MediaSentry, which showed that he was sharing over 800 songs from his computer on August 10, 2004. ... And when he took the stand on Thursday, Tenenbaum admitted it all, including the fact that he had “lied” in his written discovery responses and at his first deposition in September 2008.
Screwed himself right there.

Looks like they only chose to sue for 30 songs out of those 800. $675,000 ($22,500 per song). Draconian measures. Neither off them really come off smelling like a rose.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If I was the professor heading the legal team, this is what I would tell my students:

"The moral to this is, when your client is a moron, keep him sedated."

True, the RIAA doesn't come out smelling like a rose, but they came out of it far more intact than the downloader.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642