[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Mind if I ask why? I mean, does the experience differ significantly for you depending on platform. I don't have an Xbox, but from what I gather Fallout 3 is a much smoother experience on that platform. If that's the case, I can't imagine being willing to put up with the bugs in the PS3 version. Don't get me wrong though, as it's the only version I have I've racked up a ridiculous amount of hours on the PS3 version and I do think it's a great game. In fact, when I get a new PC eventually, Fallout 3 and New Vegas will be amongst my first purchases (maybe after Skyrim), so I can enjoy smoother versions of games I love.

I'm currently struggling a bit near the end of new game plus, on of the last predator bits. Haven't figured out good hiding places and most of the guards have body armour, precluding silent takedowns. I'll get it though.

Oh, and once I finish new game plus I'm planning to pick up Tokyo Jungle, just because I like the premise. What I don't get though, is if I buy it on the UK PSN it's about £10, but if I buy it on Japanese PSN (where it's been out for quite a while) it's closer to £40. I wanted the Japenese version as there's currently more content available, but with that price difference I'm definitely opting for the UK release.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

angloconvoy wrote:Mind if I ask why? I mean, does the experience differ significantly for you depending on platform. I don't have an Xbox, but from what I gather Fallout 3 is a much smoother experience on that platform. If that's the case, I can't imagine being willing to put up with the bugs in the PS3 version. Don't get me wrong though, as it's the only version I have I've racked up a ridiculous amount of hours on the PS3 version and I do think it's a great game. In fact, when I get a new PC eventually, Fallout 3 and New Vegas will be amongst my first purchases (maybe after Skyrim), so I can enjoy smoother versions of games I love.
Because I enjoy the games.
If I didn't buy the same games then I wouldn't have any PS3 games, because I've an Xbox 360 longer than the PS3.
If I love a game on one platform (I mean I got the PS1, Sega DC, and N64 version of Resdient Evil 2) then I why shouldn't love on a different platform.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Just picked up Dawn of War 2 Gold Edition from Amazon UK for £6.66 on PC

And I've downloaded the beta for Playstation All-Stars through PS+ (also, Bulletstorm, Resident Evil 5, Double Dragon Neon)

PS+ really does pay for itself :D
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Got DOOM 3bfg edition and its blast from the past, brings back so many memories from back in the day, they havent messed with it one bit and i dont miss the old flashlight at all. Next game on my list is Halo 4 ONLY 2 weeks or so to go! Then the week after that black ops 2, tis a good year for gaming.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:Because I enjoy the games.
If I didn't buy the same games then I wouldn't have any PS3 games, because I've an Xbox 360 longer than the PS3.
If I love a game on one platform (I mean I got the PS1, Sega DC, and N64 version of Resdient Evil 2) then I why shouldn't love on a different platform.
There's no reason why you shouldn't - but I don't get why you'd spend double the money just to play the same game. You could buy the game on one platform, and spend the rest of the money on a different game - or just save it.

I just finished Sleeping Dogs this weekend. A truly brilliant game, which I heartily recommend to anyone.

Next up is Assassin's Creed 3, which I've preordered and am eagerly awaiting.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Forza Horizon Limited Collectors Edition.

I'm considering whether I should play the previous ones as well.
Destruction is my specialty
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:I got Mass Effect 3: Leviathan DLC last week for the Xbox 360 and PS3.
I've played through this myself, finally. It's probably my second-favourite sequence in the game, after the geth/quarian set of missions. It reminded me of the first game a bit, in that it's a side-quest that sends you hopping across several different planets before you can complete it (although the production values are obviously a lot better). All four of the main locations in the DLC are well thought out -- the detective work you need to do in the Citadel lab is especially cool since there's nothing else like that in the rest of the game.

I'm pretty sure I did it earlier in the game than they anticipated, though, because Liara already knew what Bashees were even though I hadn't been to the Ardat-Yakshi monastery yet.

(Side-note: I'm really impressed by the game's replay value. The enemies whose heads I was blowing off in one hit as an Infiltrator give me a lot more trouble as an Adept, and vice-versa -- my biotics bitchslap the enemies I struggled with on my first playthrough. I didn't notice nearly as much difference replaying the second game.)

I'm usually pretty cold toward Mass Effect DLC, because so much of it is laughable profiteering -- charging money for content that's already on the game disc but locked out, or charging players on one platform while including it for free on the other -- and the prices are often way out of whack compared to the content you actually get. This one, however, was definitely worth the price. I'm glad you mentioned it or I probably wouldn't even have noticed it existed.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Well, I preordered the Join or Die edition of Assassin's Creed 3 from Tesco, and due to a supplier issue they were unable to fulfill the order. However, they're sending me the standard edition for free. A little annoyed that I won't get to play the bonus content on my first playthrough, but fair play to Tesco - that's a great goodwill gesture on their part.

And as I'm going away on a stag weekend tomorrow anyway, I'm hardly losing out on any playing time. Bonus!

Do you still work for 'em Dalek? If so, thanks!

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Using some b-day cash I went to my local used game store and picked up Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and Gears of War 2 on 360.

Sure I've had Twilight Princess for the Wii since launch date, but I've been hankering to play a modern-day Zelda without having to waggle my arm all over at midnight when I play; I get to use a GC controller again... one of my absolute favorite controllers of all time. Plus I'm interested to see how the mirror-image thing goes from what I remember with the Wii version.

I'm looking forward to playing Gears again; recently I finished off Gears 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it. And for $6, how can I go wrong?

Too bad all of this gaming will be put on hold when Halo 4 comes out Tuesday (pre-ordered that already from GameStop for all the quirky little bonus items). SUPER excited for that one! Woot!!!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:Plus I'm interested to see how the mirror-image thing goes from what I remember with the Wii version.
I'm still outraged by that, to this day. Link is left-handed, dammit! Stupid Nintendo, reversing the game so that they can use motion controls...

It's still a good game, though. I'm hoping to replay it myself, some time in the near future.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I bought Assassin's Creed III Freedom Edition (PS3), Assassin's Creed: Liberation (VITA), Medal of Honor: Warfighter Collector's Edition (PS3), the latter two came in the mail.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Warcry wrote:I'm still outraged by that, to this day. Link is left-handed, dammit! Stupid Nintendo, reversing the game so that they can use motion controls...

It's still a good game, though. I'm hoping to replay it myself, some time in the near future.
I wasn't so much bothered by the switch, just that Nintendo forced the motion controls onto the game. They do this with every game for the Wii, and I understand they were just supporting their motion control system, but I believe Nintendo is savvy enough to be able to develop a control switch in between motion and traditional control. At least it would be nice to have the option between the two so I don't have to break my wrist fighting Ganon.

By the way, I popped it in last night and I'm glad I purchased. The game starts slow but is one of my faves; the display isn't quite as nice as the Wii version, and the audio seems a bit compressed, but overall I'm happy to play it again with a traditional input device.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I know what you mean. The motion controls for Skyward Sword were intuitive, well thought out and almost (though not perfectly) replicated the motions you'd go through if you were actually handling a sword. I liked them quite a bit even though I'm not a fan of motion controls in any other Wii games other than simple multiplayer or party games (like Mario Party or Wii Sports). The motion controls for Twilight Princess were nowhere near that polished, since you had no way to control how Link was swinging...basically they just mapped the Gamecube's sword button to the "controller shake" input, and the whole thing felt really tacked on.

Which only makes switching everything right-to-left come across as even more stupid since there was absolutely zero connection between the movements you're making and what he's doing on the screen. Screw you, Nintendo! Us left-handed people have few enough video game heroes to identify with, without you taking away the most popular one!

Er...I probably take this way too seriously, so feel free to just ignore my demented ranting. :)

I'm surprised that the graphics are different, though. I thought they'd built Twilight Princess 100% as a Gamecube game and then ported it over with motion controls hastily glued on. I didn't realize they'd made any other changes.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Maybe I didn't mind the changes as much since I'm a righty. You lefties have it rough! The only other game I didn't mind motion controls on was Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel. Even then it could have been button mapped.

Maybe the graphics are the same and the only seem muddier since I have been playing nothing but my 360 lately. The big difference is that TP on Gamecube only supports Progressive Scan, while on the Wii it supports true 16x9. On a HD TV that may make a difference but I'm not a techie enough to know for sure.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

HALO 4!!!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

The WiiU is an HD console and it will be able to play all your Wii games. Does this mean it will be able to upscale them in some way? I've not read anything about it yet.

I know you can't buy an HDMI for the Wii because it's not hi-def, and a composite is the only option which I guess is somewhere between Scart and HDMI. I bought a composite cable for my PS2 last year, and it just made the games look too um... jaggedy and forced. I preferred the smoother scart output to a standard definition TV. Does composite on a Wii produce similar results to what I saw with the PS2?

I know it's a lame question, but I don't think I've ever seen a Wii hooked up in a shop to a big HDTV.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Auntie Slag wrote:The WiiU is an HD console and it will be able to play all your Wii games. Does this mean it will be able to upscale them in some way? I've not read anything about it yet.

I know you can't buy an HDMI for the Wii because it's not hi-def, and a composite is the only option which I guess is somewhere between Scart and HDMI. I bought a composite cable for my PS2 last year, and it just made the games look too um... jaggedy and forced. I preferred the smoother scart output to a standard definition TV. Does composite on a Wii produce similar results to what I saw with the PS2?

I know it's a lame question, but I don't think I've ever seen a Wii hooked up in a shop to a big HDTV.
I don't have a big HDTV, but I've had my Wii hooked up through a 32" 720p TV with component cables (red/blue/green video cables). Personally, I thought the games looked much crisper and had better definition, especially in regards to textures than when using the composite cables (yellow video) on the same TV. The same holds true when playing on my 26" 720p HDTV in my man cave. How that would translate to a 50" Plasma screen, I don't know.

I would imagine using an HDMI cable on the Wii U will make Wii games 'upscale' and they will look fine, but nothing earth-shattering. Much like playing DVDs on my Blu-Ray player (PS3). They look good, but not stunning.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

By the way, I also got Madden 13 for the PS3 from my lovely wife for my birthday. She got me a sweet package deal that came with the game, a 1/2 year of Sports Illustrated, a couple DLC cards for the Madden Ultimate team, and a DVD of greatest Super Bowl moments, all for $50. Pretty damn sweet deal if you ask me!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

WWE '13 Stone Cold Edition plus Austin 3:16 came in the mail a lot faster than I anticipated (usually it takes 2 weeks, this time it took 3-5 days! Fed-Ex must be a lot faster than regular, even though I don't think Ipaid that much extra on shipping). I also bought Halo 3 Limited Edition with a couple of Halo themed t-shirts.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Ok ive beat halo 4 twice played tons on multiplayer and im hooked on spartan ops. I can say without a hesitation that this is by far the BEST halo gameever if not the best 360 game ever!
Wont spoil anything but 343 did things bungie never had the stones to do. And they by far top anything bungie EVER did!!! Thank you 343 you gave us the halo game weve always wanted!

Also going to midnight launch of black ops 2 its gonna be packed halo 4 covered the whole shopping center anx took me 20mins to get out of a parking lot the size of postage stamp and well im sure bo2 will b at least twice as big. cant wait for nuketown zombies! Look it up its just so... Amazing! Normaly dont care about multiplayer in cod but the changes theyve made really excite me. and well to anyone who plays cod on here th campaign has cutscenes!! And multiple endings!! This is what call of duty needs to be! not the same ol rehashed crap that was MW3. Weither ur a cod fan or not you will love this game.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99