Disney's Robin Hood...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nobody's actually seen Bambi. Cultural osmosis means everybody thinks they've seen it, but realise upon careful reflection that they never have.

They don't correct it. And anybody who claims different is a liar and a communist.
Denyer wrote:You're complaining about pedantry?
I'm pedanting other people's pedantry. This is how hardcore I is.

It didn't need an "aside from" indicating that I'd omitted information that was implicit. The key point of my post was dalek's muppetry, not to underline that Khan is a tiger.

The key point of most of my posts is to underline somebody's muppetry.

Then again, I'm always willing to entertain the notion I might be wrong. If there's anybody reading who's read the Jungle Book (or seen the Disney film... sod it, or even read the relevant issues of Fables) and didn't know what type of animal Shere Khan was... feel free to say your piece.

People who have the terms "A1" or "rattrap" in their screen name need not apply.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd highly recommend Emperor's New Groove. Dynamite little film, nowhere near as cloying and twee as most Disney this side of Little Mermaid.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

This side of Little Mermaid...you didn't like The Lion King or Aladdin? They're two of my favorites.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Most. Not all.

Those two are a given.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I also have a soft spot for The Rescuers Down Under...obviously not as high-quality as some others, but fun, at least.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Personally I like bits of The Lion King (especially the songs, even if it did start a unfortunate trend of just grabbing any old pop star to do them) but a lot of it leaves me a bit cold, I suspect mainly it's the Jeremy Irons effect.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, the Lion King... I dunno, I find it over-rated. Good, but not great. The two comedy mentoring guys pissed me off, though it's been a while since I've seen it... Aladdin? Robin Williams deeply, deeply irritates me. I hate to say it because it goes against a lot of my broader principals, but anything with Robin Williams in it (even his voice... actually, especially his voice, if he ever did a silent film I'd give it more of a go...) I can't watch.
inflatable dalek

I find Williams all over the place in terms of quality, sometime great sometime punchable. I think he's one of those people that needs a very controling director to keep him in check. That episode of Mork and Mindy where Mork meets Robin Williams probably did my brain in as a 8 year old.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The best thing I associate with Williams is the bit in the last Futurama DVD when they run into an army of Morcs during an extended D&D/LotR spoof.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I think Alladin was the best of the 89-99 disney films.
Come on and wind me up.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Never seen Ichabod & Mr. Toad,
That's actually my favorite Disney animated flick. Er, the Sleepy Hollow half, anyway. The Wind in the Willows half is good, but not nearly as good.

Disney did implode pretty badly after Lion King, all things considered. One moment they'd be doing something really cool, like Emperor's New Groove (which felt more like a WB cartoon, honestly) or Lilo & Stitch, and the next it would be an animated travesty, like Pocahontas (which gets my vote as Disney's worst animated feature ever).

And somewhere in the middle of all that is Tarzan, which a part of me loves and a part of me feels awful for loving it. Woulda been better without Rosie Odonnel, anyway.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'd highly recommend Emperor's New Groove. Dynamite little film, nowhere near as cloying and twee as most Disney this side of Little Mermaid.
Yes! Emperor's New Groove is easily one of the best recent Disney movies. I didn't think I was going to like it, but my wife convinced me to watch it, and I'd recommend it. Good fun.

I haven't seen anything of the newer films like Atlantis, etc., and I don't think I want to. They just don't interest me (not counting Pixar movies, if you count those among Disney animated).
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

I love the sheriff,too. He was little too fat for a wolf or dog at that matter. The Jungle book was about animals supposedly being animals while Robin hood is about them acting human. They were humans in the Jungle book. Prince John is played by Peter Ushiov while Shere Khan was played by Geogre Sands. There are African lions who don't have manes.They are either female or maneaters. Maybe this could explain why they confuss Khan with Prince John.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
inflatable dalek

DrSpengler wrote: and the next it would be an animated travesty, like Pocahontas (which gets my vote as Disney's worst animated feature ever).

Yup, mainly because it picked entirely the wrong bit of history for a wacky romantic Disney comedy. That reminds me of the main reason I don't like the Lion King, all the "Circle of Life" stuff (it's OK to be a meat eating animal because when you die you'll wind up feeding the plants that feed the herbivores that feed your descendents) is completely undone by the bit where Penn and NotTeller get the lion to eat plants rather than them. The whole theme of the film (for which there is a song that opens and closes the movie) goes for a bugger because Disney couldn't come up for a good way of either dealing or just ignoring the fact the lead character eats all the animals that are normally "good" in Disney films.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek wrote:Yup, mainly because it picked entirely the wrong bit of history for a wacky romantic Disney comedy. That reminds me of the main reason I don't like the Lion King, all the "Circle of Life" stuff (it's OK to be a meat eating animal because when you die you'll wind up feeding the plants that feed the herbivores that feed your descendents) is completely undone by the bit where Penn and NotTeller get the lion to eat plants rather than them. The whole theme of the film (for which there is a song that opens and closes the movie) goes for a bugger because Disney couldn't come up for a good way of either dealing or just ignoring the fact the lead character eats all the animals that are normally "good" in Disney films.
Actually, Timon and Pumbaa teach Simba to eat bugs, not plants. So technically still meat. So the Elton John song is maintained.
inflatable dalek

DrSpengler wrote:Actually, Timon and Pumbaa teach Simba to eat bugs, not plants. So technically still meat. So the Elton John song is maintained.
If they were maintaing the circle wouldn't they be eating BUGS (Jesse Birdsall does have a big enough nose for all) and Samba be eating them? That's even more unfair really, "Hey, we can't have our hero eating actual animals people care about, but no one likes bugs, let lots and lots of bugs be eaten by him! And as a growing lion he'll kill and eat more bugs in a day to sustain himself than a hog would in a lifetime". Bastards.

I did love how in the Sega game he started out as a cub and became a full on lion as the levels progressed. It seemed so futuristic.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

inflatable dalek wrote: I did love how in the Sega game he started out as a cub and became a full on lion as the levels progressed. It seemed so futuristic.
It was AWESOME. Always remember, B-A-R-R-Y.
~
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

[youtube]watch?v=oozGotV-Xcs[/youtube]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oozGotV-Xcs

The best ever take on Robin Hood.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Halfshell wrote:Nobody's actually seen Bambi...
*Raises hand* I have...
Halfshell wrote:The key point of most of my posts is to underline somebody's muppetry.
... and I like the Muppets...

It's good to know that I'm not alone out here in my liking (and sometimes loathing) of animated Disney features; the whole shebang is a curate's egg, but that's the same with most studios.

My favourite short is Sleepy Hollow, which is a wonderfully spirited attempt at the original story, and my favourite movie is The Sword in the Stone even if it's only a teensy bit like parts of the T. H. White novel. I also like the hotch-potch of Robin Hood, particularly those little hints at the Errol Flynn films.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Speaking of The Lion King, has anyone seen the live play? My wife and I went to it last year, and it was frickin' awesome!