KFC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I just have to ask (and this is not directed specifically at you, Notabot)...when did so many people at the Archive decide that they'd try to be "funny"? Cliffy, help me out.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I think it's just that we've heard a lot of this before. (And I'm not taking it personally. It was a lame "joke", and I even had many days to think about it.) After being beaten over the head about everything you do in life (not that that's what you are doing in this thread), eventually you just disregard a lot of the "horrors". Eat fish=kill dolphins. Wear Nike=support child slavery. Use disposable diapers=destroy the planet for generations to come. You can really only feel bad for a certain length of time before it all becomes somewhat comical. And if not comical, at least non-horrifying.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Vin Ghostal wrote:You're missing the point...no one's brought up injections...the bottom line is that I don't even have a problem with the animals being raised, then killed for food...just don't break their wings and legs or toss them into the oil BEFORE slitting their throats. I'm not asking a lot, but you're missing the point. I've killed an animal for food as well, but that does not build credibility or "perspective."
I see your point, and I didn't mean to justify how they kill them. I was just saying that it might be a little less gruesome to people who have killed their food. 99% of people don't, so when they see that kind of thing, so to them, it's a massive tragedy. That's all.

And I agree with you, the animals don't need to be put through that before death, I just went with the extreme example (injections) because maybe there's some financial means to the way they do it. But I guess if they're taking the time to break legs and wings, a little head chopping can't save too many pennies.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Notabot wrote:But the terror and adrenaline is part of the secret recipe!
As are, possibly, the extra proteins from the feathers.

And now, moving on to the problem of boiling lobsters...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Clogs wrote:As are, possibly, the extra proteins from the feathers.

And now, moving on to the problem of boiling lobsters...
Speaking of which, I've never boiled a lobster, but from what I understand they "scream" sort of. Does anyone know if that's true?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

ganon578 wrote:Speaking of which, I've never boiled a lobster, but from what I understand they "scream" sort of. Does anyone know if that's true?
It's true, in a way. They have no vocal chords, but the air inside them, expanding as they hit the boiling water, escapes noisily. Frankly, I'd hate to test it out myself!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

secretcode wrote:What? I'm not trying to generalize the group or anything, but the workers aren't even monitored at all, and every time I went there, there was always something they did to the food.
Maybe it was just your food.;)

But I agree, their food is really bad. Every time I’ve eaten there in the past five years I heave dysentery an hour later

The problem is the oil isn’t cooked hot enough, and the chicken is really greasy instead of crispy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

You know, I actually took the time to read every nook and cranny of that website this morning. The facts that are laid out are not that the chickens are being cooked alive (this is in fact disproved as an urban legend over at snopes), but that the workers at one facility in West Virginia were observed doing what could only be summed up as playing idiotic redneck games with the chickens. Spitting tobacco in their eyes, squeezing the shit out of them (literally), kicking them like footballs, twisting their heads off, ect.

Now these things are bad and all, but is it really KFC's fault that some inbred rednecks got caught on camera acting like idiots? I doubt the screening process is very strict for working at a chicken house, lets be honest here. Most likely the majority of employees at this place are high school drop outs, dope heads, and possibly just ****tards. Lets face it, the shittier the job, the shittier the person who does the job, on average.

Now while this is bad news and all that, the poor chickens are treated badly before they are cooked and eaten, its hardly the fault of the KFC joint down the street. And from the research I did in a 10 minute time span, this particular chicken supplier supplies much more than just KFC.

I guess what I'm getting at, is maybe people should place the blame more on those responsible, and not try to guilt me into feeling shitty for eating KFC chicken once or twice a year.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

But surely PETA would never misrepresent anything and we should take that website at face value and boycott KFC!? Won't somebody please think of the chickens!?
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

ganon578 wrote:I see your point, and I didn't mean to justify how they kill them. I was just saying that it might be a little less gruesome to people who have killed their food. 99% of people don't, so when they see that kind of thing, so to them, it's a massive tragedy. That's all.
Fair...it's just that, as someone who's hunted deer, you know better than most that there are certain ways to do away with an animal, and certain ways that one would consider inhumane, even when killing animals on a macro level.

And, to be fair, PETA is certainly NOT the most reliable source of information, but these practices have been documented by both independent non-PETA affiliated sources and the media, so there is certainly some truth to them.

You guys know I'm no hippie. Hell, I can't remember the last day I got through without having either a meat dish or eggs. It's possible to be both an animal lover and a voracious carnivore, that's all.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

On another note, I saw a KFC commercial last night, and it was lookin' mighty good. Might have to go there soon. Hopefully they'll have biscuits this time. I mean seriously, how do you run out of biscuits? But I guess it would be worse if they actually ran out of chicken instead.
BOOBS1

Post by BOOBS1 »

I use to be a vegetarian. It lasted 7-8 years. I stopped at the age of 17. I very rarely eat fast food and the last time I ate at KFC, I was pregnant (about 3 years ago). I hardly eat meat now,especially red meat, but after seeing this, i think I'll go back to being a vegetarian again, with the exception of organic eggs and shellfish.
Sir Auros wrote:But surely PETA would never misrepresent anything and we should take that website at face value and boycott KFC!? Won't somebody please think of the chickens!?
I don't think too highly of chickens, I don't hate them, but they're not that bright,at the same time I think if you're going to kill something to feed yourself and your family then give the animal a full life and kill them humanely.