Happy Holidays

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
User avatar
starlord
Protoform
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:24 pm

Happy Holidays

Post by starlord » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:24 am

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.

User avatar
Ackula
Posts: 3679
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by Ackula » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am

Happy Saturnalia.
Image

User avatar
secretcode
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Contact:

Post by secretcode » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Happy Festivus.

User avatar
rattrap23
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:56 am
Location: ont,canada

Post by rattrap23 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:53 pm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.

User avatar
Halfshell
Posts: 19167
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Contact:

Post by Halfshell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Christmas is still two weeks away. Learn time.

User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:49 pm
Location: In your base, stealing your flag
Contact:

Post by Skidmark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Merry Christmas to you Starlord.I'm glad to see that some people are also tired of the "happy holidays" crap.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen

User avatar
electro girl
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Robot Republic of Yorkshire.
Contact:

Post by electro girl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Ho ho ho and a merry christmas to all archivists. my mum has bought me uni Powerglide, anyone else with transformers on their christmas lists?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!

User avatar
Halfshell
Posts: 19167
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Contact:

Post by Halfshell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Skidmark wrote:Merry Christmas to you Starlord.I'm glad to see that some people are also tired of the "happy holidays" crap.
Not everybody's a Christian, and there's more than one festival in December. So it's hardly "crap".

User avatar
Denyer
Posts: 32326
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2000 4:00 am
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Denyer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 pm

I stick with Merry Christmas because as far as I'm concerned it's an entirely secular occasion. However, people who choose to get vocally annoyed with someone politely wishing them a good festive season -- whatever mix of greeting they choose -- come across as pretty dickish.

Image

User avatar
secretcode
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Contact:

Post by secretcode » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 pm

electro girl wrote:archivists
I thought it was Archiver?
Image
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32

User avatar
Cliffjumper
Posts: 32206
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:00 am
Contact:

Post by Cliffjumper » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:53 pm

I thought it didn't actually matter.

User avatar
Sir Auros
Posts: 12980
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Contact:

Post by Sir Auros » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Every time some knob-polisher whines about "Happy Holidays," I want to slap him around and point out that Christmas is based on pagan holidays, and the only reason Jesus was shoehorned into it was because it made converting people easier.

Also, like Denyer, I celebrate it as an entirely secular holiday. All the good traditions were swiped from the Scandinavian heathens, anyway.

User avatar
Cliffjumper
Posts: 32206
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:00 am
Contact:

Post by Cliffjumper » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:10 pm

TBH, I think going out of your way to call it something else is a bit mad. It's an excuse to kick back a few days, be nice to people and exchange gifts with loved ones, the word is just an excuse. I don't care where it comes from, bluntly. But then at the same time I think getting worked up about it either way is missing the point somewhat.

User avatar
Grufflock
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 pm
Location: Carlisle, UK

Post by Grufflock » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Sir Auros wrote:Also, like Denyer, I celebrate it as an entirely secular holiday. All the good traditions were swiped from the Scandinavian heathens, anyway.
Apart from the Celtish ones.
Image
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984

User avatar
another tf fan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:08 am
Location: USA

Post by another tf fan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Every Time you wish some one a "Happy Holiday" it makes the baby Jesus cry.

:p
Come on and wind me up.

User avatar
Ackula
Posts: 3679
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by Ackula » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 am

I call it Christmas as well, but am not a Christian. The main reason is just out of habit, and because it is just easier with kids to call it what it is. I feel that it is at this point not really a christian holiday anymore at all anyway. The current incarnation of Christmas is far more Satanic than anything else.

In saying such a statement I feel I must give an explanation. I mean Satanic not in the sense that christians and other lesser educated folks would use the word, but in the regards of how Anton LaVey used the word, symbolic of the archetype of Satan.

Christmas is a very Satanic holiday in the fact that it, like Satan, represents indulgence and not abstinence. It is a capitalist holiday that is centered around material things, the giving and receiving of them. It is also a very selfish holiday. Even if you claim to only care about giving gifts, you still get pleasure from doing so, and thus are serving to fulfill a self gratifying need in the process.

I love Christmas, and would not call it anything else. I do however make it a point to teach my children the roots and origins of the holiday, so that they are not as closed minded and are able to make their own call on how they want to feel about it, and celebrate it.

On the other hand, I feel it important to stress that one's own birthday should be more important and special to them than anyone else's.
Image

User avatar
secretcode
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Contact:

Post by secretcode » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:01 am

Cliffjumper wrote:I thought it didn't actually matter.
Image

You're on Notice.
Image
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32

User avatar
Slayer-Fan123
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: South of Heaven

Post by Slayer-Fan123 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:51 am

secretcode wrote:Happy Festivus.
You got here before I did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
burnitall
Protoform
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:22 am
Location: Washington

Post by burnitall » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:59 am

I want a pony.

User avatar
Halfshell
Posts: 19167
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 am
Location: Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Contact:

Post by Halfshell » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:11 am

Cliffjumper wrote:It's an excuse to kick back a few days, be nice to people and exchange gifts with loved ones, the word is just an excuse. I don't care where it comes from, bluntly. But then at the same time I think getting worked up about it either way is missing the point somewhat.
Mmm. I mostly view it as "getting a few days off as compensation for choosing to stay in a Christian nation".

Much in the same way I regard being skint all the ****ing time as a byproduct of living in a capitalist society.

We're in the country we're in... sometimes it works out good, sometimes it don't. There's always the option to leave. You stay, sometimes you gotta roll with the punches.

... I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. Maybe a moral, probably a message, maybe even a meaning. But not the meaning of Christmas.

Post Reply