Rolling Stone's top 100 singers of all time:

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Rolling Stone's top 100 singers of all time:

Post by Jetfire »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers ... 2/page/103

Lots to discuss like why are Lennon and McCartney so high?

Lennon and McCartney were amazing in the Beatles. But is was their song writing skills and creativity which is why they are amazing. Not there singing which while very good and at times sublime shouldn't ever grace a 100 greatest singers list of all time.

Meanwhile I'm quite sad Freddie Mercury isn't in the top ten. Christine Aguilera should never be that high. She has the potential to be up there but she only has one amazing voval performances on one amazing song (Beautiful). She mearly does a good job on average records which are over produced to the point where they lose the soul in her voice in my opinion.

Other thoughts is that Nina Simone should be higher, Jagger much lower, Mariah carey (certainly better than Houston) much higher (especially considering Christine Aguilera's position), Karen Carpenter higher and Bono sure as heck lower.

I'd say Diana Ross is missing, Billie Holiday is missing, mary J. Blige hasn't nearly enough to be on that list over a great many soul and Motown singers and Sinatra certainly deserves a spot in that 100.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I find that this list is automatically shit, because King Diamond is not on it at all.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

WOW...Rolling Stone is retarded!

Kerry King (Slayer)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Dave Groal (Foo Fighters)
Ozzy Ozzborne
Lemmy (Motorhead)
Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
Jimi Hendrix
All of the Dropkick Murphys
Van Halen
Whatshisname from Iron Maiden
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
David Yowe (Jesus Lizard)
Brent Hinds (Mastodon)
Dave Brockie (GWAR)
I wont name any Death Metal, because...just because!

I wonder what Rolling Stone was smoking!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Bob Marley and Tom Waits where on the list. All is right with the world.

Kurt Kobain had no business being on that list if you ask me, suicidal son of a bitch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Because you can't be a suicidal son of a bitch and a good singer. Fact.

Personally, I think we should put rattrap23's abject stupidity to good use. We could chip in on some sort of sponsored See How Long He Can Go Without Saying Something Stultifyingly Ill-Informed And/Or Moronic, with the proceeds going to a charity. We needn't bother working out which one, as we'd never collect more than a few pennies...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:WOW...Rolling Stone is retarded!

Kerry King (Slayer)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Dave Groal (Foo Fighters)
Ozzy Ozzborne
Lemmy (Motorhead)
Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
Jimi Hendrix
All of the Dropkick Murphys
Van Halen
Whatshisname from Iron Maiden
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
David Yowe (Jesus Lizard)
Brent Hinds (Mastodon)
Dave Brockie (GWAR)
I wont name any Death Metal, because...just because!

I wonder what Rolling Stone was smoking!

Uuuummmmm Thom Yorke IS on the list. :nonono:

And it's the best singers list not 'good bands' list. A band can be amazing and not have one of the top 100 singers ever. It's fair to say musical styles which focus on singing voices like Blues or Soul are well represented. Not being in the top 100 doesn't mean you aren't a great singer
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

So anyone bitching that King Diamond isn’t on a list is OK but when I give my opinion about something I’m obviously an Ill-informed moron, right? (No offence to Kali).

And Ill Informed, are you suggesting that because I don’t like Kurt Kobain that I am some glam-rock fan boy who can’t stand the sound of an acoustic guitar. Or is it that I’m not as old as you are that I must obviously be a “stupid kid” who knows nothing about music history.

Seriously how long have you been sitting on the edge of you chair waiting for me to say something objectionable?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

rattrap23 wrote:So anyone bitching that King Diamond isn’t on a list is OK but when I give my opinion about something I’m obviously an Ill-informed moron, right? (No offence to Kali).
It was the suicidal son-of-a-bitch bit, moron. What the Hell does the personality of Cobain (who I've never cared for, for the record) count towards his ability to sing?
And Ill Informed, are you suggesting that because I don’t like Kurt Kobain that I am some glam-rock fan boy who can’t stand the sound of an acoustic guitar. Or is it that I’m not as old as you are that I must obviously be a “stupid kid” who knows nothing about music history.
What the Hell are you blathering on about now? I couldn't give a **** what you like. I couldn't give a **** how old you are either, 8 or 80 you're still thicker than a whale sandwich.
Seriously how long have you been sitting on the edge of you chair waiting for me to say something objectionable?
There's not the tension to make it "edge of you chair" stuff is the problem with that one. It'd work better if your stupidity wasn't quite so rampant and consistent, see.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

It’s just my opinion about Kurt Cobain; you can take it or leave it. I really don’t care.

:derailed:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Clay

Post by Clay »

All a' y'all hush.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Jetfire wrote:Uuuummmmm Thom Yorke IS on the list. :nonono:

And it's the best singers list not 'good bands' list. A band can be amazing and not have one of the top 100 singers ever. It's fair to say musical styles which focus on singing voices like Blues or Soul are well represented. Not being in the top 100 doesn't mean you aren't a great singer
Ohhhhhh...didn't see him! Whoops!
They still forgot Pat Benetar and other classics, so I still object to their list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Did they forget? I mean it's the 'Top 100'. They simply can't fit any more names in it. It doesn't mean they don't think there are many, many other great voices but that these made the top 100.

The other artists might have made a top 250 or 500 list. You seem to find it hard that some great voices in your opinion can't make a legitimate top 100 or that because they didn't make a particular top 100 the list makers doesn't consider them great.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

:(
No Rob Halford? That cuts me deep.
~
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

rattrap23 wrote:So anyone bitching that King Diamond isn’t on a list is OK but when I give my opinion about something I’m obviously an Ill-informed moron, right? (No offence to Kali).
I didn't say anything negative about anyone on the list, you did. This is exactly why I rarely post anymore :|
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

What does (Name) By (Name) mean?
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Jetfire wrote: Lots to discuss like why are Lennon and McCartney so high?

Lennon and McCartney were amazing in the Beatles. But is was their song writing skills and creativity which is why they are amazing. Not there singing which while very good and at times sublime shouldn't ever grace a 100 greatest singers list of all time.

Meanwhile I'm quite sad Freddie Mercury isn't in the top ten.
I think Lennon's version of Twist and Shout where he screams it because he had lost his voice and pretty much invented the "Grunge" sound 25 years before Nirvana and Pearl Jam came along earns him his spot.

Agree with you whole heartedly about Freddie Mercury.

These lists are totally subjective though so nobody is going to be totally happy with it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Kali wrote:I didn't say anything negative about anyone on the list, you did.

Mmmm, there's a difference between "X shouldn't be on there, he wasn't a particularly good singer" and "X shouldn't be on there, he suffered from depression"