US Election Night: Official Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

It's in reach though. For the next black guy or even latino or asian candidate who goes for the the election it won't be anywhere near such a big thing. It will be mentioned but it won't be so hugely significant.

And also this:

:lol:
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Brilliant, Plasmodium. Nothing much to say but that I rushed the streets with a hundred other university students after Obama's speech last night.
~
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

A gun store in Weatherford called "Cheaper Than Dirt" sold over $100,000 worth of guns today because gun enthusiasts are scared Obama's going to ban guns.:lol:
Steam: Hot Shot
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Jetfire wrote:Due to the fact he's black (really mixed race but that detail isn't currently relevant) he can inspire, motive and act as a role model towards the black portion of the country that in no way any white president can.
Nonsense...Bill Clinton was (and is) positively beloved by the African-American community. He inspired and motivated, and was extremely popular and quite the role model for millions of Americans of all races. You don't have to be the same color as the person you idolize...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Nonsense...Bill Clinton was (and is) positively beloved by the African-American community. He inspired and motivated, and was extremely popular and quite the role model for millions of Americans of all races. You don't have to be the same color as the person you idolize...

I've alredy stated that Bill Clinton had a big infulence. I'm taking about the segment who are conditioned by history, society. The Jeremiah Wright's of america. There is a sizeable hardcore who would forever claim they are repressed or perscuted upon even with Bill Clinton's infulence and legacy kept a very strong feelings about the matter and happily used it to justify any and all wrongs in the black community.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Jetfire wrote:I've alredy stated that Bill Clinton had a big infulence. I'm taking about the segment who are conditioned by history, society. The Jeremiah Wright's of america. There is a sizeable hardcore who would forever claim they are repressed or perscuted upon even with Bill Clinton's infulence and legacy kept a very strong feelings about the matter and happily used it to justify any and all wrongs in the black community.
You think that will stop with Obama? He'll just become an Uncle Tom for them if they're so ingrained with that mindset.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

A lot will realise they have no choice and nobody who will listen to them. Of course all ends of opinion produce rabid nutters, it's just there will be a lot less and they will decline with time.

Anyway. Some excellent reading in this post Obama world:

The winners losers and epic fails of the election:

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=13424

It looks like Sarah Palin is even going to be destroyed by right wingers:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581

And best of all, Ultra right Fox News blames ultra right Sarah Palin:

:lol:

Oh and another winner from the Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/o ... dded_video
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

It's funny that some of their opinion writers don't blame Palin, they blame the Republican party itself for McCain's loss. Mainly because McCain did not take advantage of attacking the inconsistencies in Obama's beliefs i.e.; Wright, Acorn, etc. . At the same time, Obama was a genius to really do very little political mud slinging as possible, and stay on tune with his message of "change" and how it would not relate to McCain. Lastly, I am very fed up with Foxnews, CNN, and other major news networks who smeared Palin for her practices up in Alaska and allowing those McCain aides to walk all over her by "whistle blowing". Sadly we will really never get the full story of her practices as Governor in Alaska, and those aides will be just looked at smirked at for delivering "truth" when in fact it honestly could be pure here-say and jealousy sparked by her potential to be a rising star and outshining their oh-so-old bantering ways. Just a few observations I made in the past few days, and check out how Howard Stern embarrassed the Harlem voters, pure genius!
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Clay wrote:You think that will stop with Obama? He'll just become an Uncle Tom for them if they're so ingrained with that mindset.
Clinton has already been considered by most of the black population in America to be the first "black" President. And was inducted into one of their walls of fame if I am not mistaken reserved for black Americans..

-Space Marines
Clay

Post by Clay »

Springer007 wrote:Clinton has already been considered by most of the black population in America to be the first "black" President. And was inducted into one of their walls of fame if I am not mistaken reserved for black Americans..
What I mean is that if Obama fails to live up to the expectations of people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, they'll say he is not representative of the black community. Jesse Jackson already has expressed hostility to him.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Clay wrote:What I mean is that if Obama fails to live up to the expectations of people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, they'll say he is not representative of the black community. Jesse Jackson already has expressed hostility to him.
I remember that as well. Thanks for clarifying for me Clay, my mind is somewhat mushy from so many details truthfully. And isn't it sad then in that regard that if Mr. O does do a lot of good things that they may never, sadly, live up to what the Black people of America want (note: the uneducated ones primarily, pm me if you want to know my view of uneducated)?

-Space Marines
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Of course there will be those that believe(d) in Obama that will be disappointed by his presidential tenure, but again, that's true of supporters of every president in history. Will there be black people that are disappointed? Sure. Will they be disappointed because Obama wasn't "black" enough, not to put too fine a point on it? Absolutely. Some were disappointed that Bush wasn't religious enough. Some were disappointed that Clinton wasn't liberal enough. Some were disappointed that Bush Sr. wasn't fiscally responsible enough. Some will inevitably be disappointed...but they need to look at themselves and their expectations instead of the president.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Springer007 wrote:And isn't it sad then in that regard that if Mr. O does do a lot of good things that they may never, sadly, live up to what the Black people of America want?
"Black people" is not a gestalt voice. Some voices are louder than others, for sure: Jackson, Sharpton, Spike Lee, etc. But I don't think that trying to assign a universal want or wants to a group of otherwise unconnected voices really makes much sense.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Springer007 wrote:hope he upholds and defends the Constitution of the U.S.
That would be a neat change from our current president and his cronies, wouldn't it?

I'm going to say this as nicely as I possibly can. For the people who don't see a difference or are claiming Obama is a fad, you don't get it do you? Were there people who jumped on the bandwagon? Probably...but guess what, that doesn't change the character or the intelligence of the man. It has been a long time since I could say that I am proud of the man who represents my country.

As for Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, they've become little more than cartoons of civil right's leaders, seemingly more interested in clinging to the spotlight than actually helping the nation move forward. Anyone who thinks Obama has some magic wand and will fix all are fools who won't be satisfied anyway. People need to listen to his speech...we ALL need to roll up our sleeves and rebuild this country...EVERY DAMN ONE OF US AMERICANS. It isn't Obama's work to do alone and it can't be done in a few weeks, months or even a couple years. It will take time and effort, something the bulk of America doesn't get.

By the way...I wish I had recorded Fox News when it was announced Obama one...I thought they were going to start to sacrifice their first born to stop it...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Galvatron91 wrote:
By the way...I wish I had recorded Fox News when it was announced Obama one...I thought they were going to start to sacrifice their first born to stop it...
This?
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Springer007 wrote:Sadly we will really never get the full story of her practices as Governor in Alaska,
Why not?
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

zigzagger wrote:This?

YES! Excellent! :)

Oh and for the record...Bush had like 50.something percent of the popular vote...do we really want to herald that as crossing the majority threshold?
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Rossum wrote:Why not?
Sadly because it isn't worth the media's time. They want a story, mainly negative, and it's all I really observed during this election: negative this, negative that. Where were the positives about the candidates, and hell, I am even blaming Bill O'Reilly, yup you heard it here folks lol. I've grown a very general dislike for the pundits and the networks they represent because news isn't news unless something negative goes on. Thus a reason why I collect volumes of japanese cartoons and turn off the regular t.v. because there isn't enough positives of any sort really being televised. I wish I had a better way to answer why news won't report certain things, that would best be left up to Galvatron above.

-Space Marines
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Springer007 wrote: I wish I had a better way to answer why news won't report certain things, that would best be left up to Galvatron above.
I wish I had a sexier answer than this, but its about ratings and until American media consumers turn the product off, that's the product they (the media machine and the corporations who own it) believe will make them a profit. These companies are bottom line - sex, misfortune, violence all sell better than positive stories without conflict. The simple answer if we don't like the product, as consumers we have to make the decision to avoid it. I tend to get my news from a number of sources, ranging from the BBC, to NPR radio, CNN and Reuters...avoiding a number of sites and channels where the bias is obvious or the story selection is as you have described.