7 most shocking documentaries of all time

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

My problem with 'supersize Me' was that the guy pointedly gave up any and all exercise, and ate supersized meals four times a day for a month - and then presented the findings as if this was normal.

The whole methodology killed the 'shock' angle, since if you're confronted with "Eat like crap for a month, and do NOTHING to take care of yourself", the results register as something like "duh".
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

TFVanguard wrote: The whole methodology killed the 'shock' angle, since if you're confronted with "Eat like crap for a month, and do NOTHING to take care of yourself", the results register as something like "duh".
I think I would have found it better if he did continue his normal life but then again many people dont exercise at all.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

TFVanguard wrote:My problem with 'supersize Me' was that the guy pointedly gave up any and all exercise, and ate supersized meals four times a day for a month - and then presented the findings as if this was normal.

The whole methodology killed the 'shock' angle, since if you're confronted with "Eat like crap for a month, and do NOTHING to take care of yourself", the results register as something like "duh".
He didn't give up exercise, he just limited himself to doing/walking exactly what the average american did each day. Most people don't exercise, especially those who don't have a healthy diet so he was showing what the effects of such a diet would be like to an average person.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

He gave up his exercise regiment. (I'm not saying he didn't walk to the car or anything).. I'm saying that he suddenly and radically changed his dietary and exercise habits, deliberately for the worse.. and we're supposed to be shocked at the results? Besides, I don't know of anyone who eats McDonald's, super-sized, four times a day, every single day... I mean, honestly...
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I just dropped 10 pounds in 30 days (and a total of 13 lbs. in 44 days) while still eating fast food on occasion, and eating celery and carrots as snacks and healthy meals at other times. It's all about moderation. Super Size Me is an effective message film, but some people miss the message...
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

TFVanguard wrote:He gave up his exercise regiment. (I'm not saying he didn't walk to the car or anything).. I'm saying that he suddenly and radically changed his dietary and exercise habits, deliberately for the worse.. and we're supposed to be shocked at the results? Besides, I don't know of anyone who eats McDonald's, super-sized, four times a day, every single day... I mean, honestly...
He eat it three times a day actually. Again you are rubbishing the concept without showing any knowledge of what happened in the film, he went for it because McDonald's lawyers won a court case against a claim which said their food could cause obesity/bad health.

Who cares if he gave up exercise? I imagine most daily McDonaldo eaters, A large enough group to warrent Maccy D's giving them their own demographic title, do exercise and I also doubt most people who eat fast food a few times a week gym much as well. You are making issue with irrevelant semantics about a very entertaining, informed and educational documentary.

Yes it was a gimmic, but what a great gimmic to get people interested, the domumentary is about the facts he uncovers about fast food, very little time is spent on talking about his diet, that was the gimmic to hook you in. It's a great documentary with a great hook.
archie321

*waiting for an explosion*

Post by archie321 »

hmmm.... I don't know if this would be counted as a documentary (because some people said it's an action flick)... United 93. I liked it. Even though the pane didn't reach its intended target, it's one of the better known of the 4 planes that went down. I think it's better known is because of the fact that the people actually fought back against the hijackers.
That and An Inconvenient Truth. Don't have much to say 'bout that one. I just found it interesting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Gimmick.

I have nothing else to add.

Oh, alright, I do.

IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Cliffjumper wrote: IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON IDEON
...because there's nothing more shocking than a white guy with an afro piloting a giant mecha?
~
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A ginger afro.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

:eek:

No! I refuse to let my soul be harvested by such a foul demon! Where's my oak stakes, Alfred? To Death...in peace!
~