Paul Newman dies

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Paul Newman dies

Post by Halfshell »

Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I tend to not really follow celebrity news, so when one I actually like and respect has something like this happen, its tends to be a 'holy shit' moment for me. While I realize that most of his older works are heralded as his best, (ie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) I absolutely loved him in Road to Perdition, opposite of Tom Hanks. Having fought cancer more than once in my life, I know how the battle can consume you and the turmoil it can wreak on your body and mind, but also on your family. It sounds as though at least in his passing, he was surrounded by people who loved him, which certainly makes the battle a bit easier.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Right, some no-talent hack who once provided two lines for a random cartoon character pegs it, and we're normally drowning in muppets wishing his family their condolences and other stupid platitudes.

An actual proper actor dies and none of you ****wits can say anything?

Be deeply ashamed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I was more of a Robert Redford fan, TBH... For me, Newman was effectively dead after the end of Butch & Sundance, or was always "that bloke who runs that Indycar team". Strangely missed the post, somehow - vaguely wondered why no-one had said anything, but left it at that.

Better driver than McQueen, though.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I love Butch :(

Made a lot of good and big films, from the 50's to the 70's in particular.

He was also one of the genuine good guys in the entertainment industry. He created the massively successful Newman's sauces range and ran the whole thing for no profit with all the money going to charity because he didn't need it. A true legend and a classy guy.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Gotta admit it came as a shocker when I read it too.

What also gets on my tits is that "Jade Goody may only have 10 years to live" which is more than the "optimistically, weeks" that most people get. ****ing media.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Its a bit like the Ed Wood thread, in that I found it hard to comment due to the fact I don't think I've ever actually sat down and watched one of his films. Not deliberately or maliciously avoiding them, they just seem to have never come on telly when I've been there to watch for some reason. I will however make a reach and say he is indeed a better person than Jade Goody if that helps.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

*sigh* Yeah, I heard he died Saturday while watching college football. Like Dalek, I haven't seen many of his films in recent years, but he had one of those announcer voices to me, the kind of voice that pops into your head whenever you read a good book. Another Great actor leaving us with these half-wits of today.
~
Sades

Post by Sades »

Halfshell wrote: Be deeply ashamed.
No.

I heard he kicked it and my reaction was more "Oh" than anything else, tbh... I can't recall having seen any of his work.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sades wrote:I can't recall having seen any of his work.
He was the best thing in Cars. :(

Watch The Sting and The Hudsucker Proxy.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Sades wrote:No.

I heard he kicked it and my reaction was more "Oh" than anything else, tbh... I can't recall having seen any of his work.
You have claimed the mantle of "Under the Rock Girl" my dear, congrats! ;)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Galvatron91 wrote:You have claimed the mantle of "Under the Rock Girl" my dear, congrats! ;)
I'd like to see how, t'be honest... I didn't say I hadn't heard of him, I said that I haven't seen much of his work. His most recent actual acting role was in 2003 and I didn't become a regular filmgoer until 2006-2007, maybe. Didn't see many films before then.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!