The Dark Knight Discussion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:Remember who you're talking about/to
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

secretcode wrote:Image
I don't think its the kind of attention you are wanting, you are treading on thin ice.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Really? Speaking as a film student, you need to watch more movies...and I don't even mean "boring" classics from 50 years ago...hell, Jaws alone blows The Dark Knight out of the water...not hating though. Batman was a very good movie.
Jaws is a great film but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste. I've seen countless films but I'm not a film student.

Only two films to me have made me react that way. The Dark Knight and The Godfather Part One. I disliked Godfather Part 2, while so many deemed it better than the first. I found Part 3 refreshing while so many hated it. Just a strange personal taste.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

The movie was quite simply awesome. Best movie of the year and id say the best batman movie ever. I think it lacked action though, not that i really cared because the story telling and all the acting was perfect. I think that if it just that little bit more adrenaline pumped into it then this would certainly be up next to my fave movie ever, The Matrix.

The script, the storyline, the dialogue, the twists, the editing, the cinematography, the score, the acting, the special effects, the fight choreography, the action...it was all flawless! And theres nothing i can say about Heath Ledgers performance that hasnt all ready been said...it was just mind blowing. I never really cared about his death before, but after seeing how amazing he was as the joker i am only now realizing just what a huge and tragic loss his death was.

I am surprised the movie only has a 12a rating, because although it isnt overly violent or gory and theres little to no swearing in it, this is one helluva mind anal f*ck of a movie! It is VERY psychologically dark, infact saying the word "dark" doesnt quite sum up just how "dark" this film really is. Its like black hole! It certainly isnt something that should be viewed by anyone under the age of 15 i think, my wife almost had to walk out of the theatre because it was such a mind-rape!

If you havnt seen it already, just be prepared to be deeply disturbed phycologically, but thrilled and entertained at the same time.

You really cant do anything better with your time for 2 and a half hours other than making love to an island full of hot babes maybe..and thats even pushing it.

I cant wait for the next film, which will hopefully be more of the same (just a little bit lighter with mroe action?) and i hope they can find someone who can do Ledgers' Joker justice. That will be tough, but with rumours of Johnny Depp playing The Riddler in the next movie i dont think we will mind. (Hell, Depp could play The Joker! He'd do Ledger justice and more!)
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

DrEvil wrote:Jaws is a great film but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste. I've seen countless films but I'm not a film student.

Only two films to me have made me react that way. The Dark Knight and The Godfather Part One. I disliked Godfather Part 2, while so many deemed it better than the first. I found Part 3 refreshing while so many hated it. Just a strange personal taste.
Exactly, I too am a "film student" and I personally barely enjoyed Jaws, it's an ok enough film, but it didn't evoke the first time of watching visceral reaction that The Dark Knight did within me.

The Dark Knight is definitely within my top first timers, the kinds of film where it seemed like I didn't even blink when watching incase I missed anything, there haven't been many of those for me. Whether or not the film will stand up to future viewings is what will count as to whether or not it is one of my favourite films.

Being a student or having a degree or masters doesn't make your opinion worth any more than anyone else in this thread, and it doesn't give you the right to impose your thoughts on other people. If you go to someone whose fave film is Mean Girls and try to convince them why say... Citizen Kane is the best film ever, they won't care what you say, as it is all about personal opinion.

Oh and in my honest opinion, starting convos about films with the line "as a film student" doesn't make people consider your opinion more, it just makes you come over as pompous. That truly wasn't a dig, it is merely me telling you that you might be perceived wrong when you say that.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

CounterPunch wrote: Being a student or having a degree or masters doesn't make your opinion worth any more than anyone else in this thread, and it doesn't give you the right to impose your thoughts on other people. If you go to someone whose fave film is Mean Girls and try to convince them why say... Citizen Kane is the best film ever, they won't care what you say, as it is all about personal opinion.

Oh and in my honest opinion, starting convos about films with the line "as a film student" doesn't make people consider your opinion more, it just makes you come over as pompous. That truly wasn't a dig, it is merely me telling you that you might be perceived wrong when you say that.
QFT
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Never been to keen on jaws (or Close Encounters for that matter) either. The problem for me is that the threat can be dealt with simply by not going in the water, so the film has to make the Mayor bloke a complete thick evil "We aint cancelling no parade no matter how many have died" bastard to keep the tension up.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I just saw it for the second time... this time in IMAX. Oh man... it was even better than before. This was the first movie I've ever seen in IMAX and now I think I will have to see all the good action flicks this way.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Im planning on seeing it at IMAX when I've got time...

What is the difference?

Ive only ever been to IMAX to watch a 3D underwater film with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet doing voice over work.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Aside from the much larger screen, the sound is much much better. Also they filmed something like 5 of the main action scenes using IMAX film which is much larger and clearer than normal film.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

oh cool, i was concerneed bits were filmed in 3D, someome told me that.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

yep. 100 times cooler in IMAX. seeing it in a regular theater spoils the experience. Same with TF. First time I saw it was at the hollywood premier, digitally received via satellite...even better than IMAX...seeing it the 2nd time in a "regular" theater, and it wasn't near as awesome. If you're gonna blow 11.00 on a movie, go the extra $3 and make it IMAX...it's a whole new experience.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

..if theres one near you, that wont cost you a fortune in gas just to get there.

Imax is nice, but watching a movie in a reg' theatre doesnt "ruin" the experiance. :wtf: Its still the same film, and if you want a bigger screen just sit closer to it :P.

The sound at Imax is like canned thunder pumped straight into your eardrums though, but i got a headache from TDK in a normal theatre cos it was so loud so i cant imagine how bad it would be in imax.

But as i said theres not always one close by, i know the nearest one to me is in london which is a 30/40 mile drive away, and then you have to pay a fortune just to drive in the city (stupid congestion charge) and then sell one of your limbs to pay for parking! F*cking country.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

if sitting closer the screen is the same as IMAX...there wouldn't be IMAX.
it's a completely different and better experience.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Frenzy-Rumble- Your sig is actually too big (our rules have a maximum height of 200 pixels), if you wouldn't mind reducing/removing it, ta.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

Ahh! no problem. I'll pull it down for now. Thanks
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

So I finally got to watch this last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. I don't think it was the best movie ever made or anything, but it was certainly the best Batman movie I've ever seen. Ledger's performance directly channeled the very essence of The Killing Joke era Joker, in my opinion it was flawless. Its a shame we will never see the performance again.

I was also really pleased with the way they portrayed Harvey Dent/Two Face in this one as well. There is very little I can think of that would be deemed as negative about the film honestly.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Speaking of..

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I went to see it on saturday and I just loved it. The Joker was freaky as you like and brilliantly played by Ledger. Although Bale's bat-voice did begin to grate on me after a bit.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!