The Dark Knight Discussion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Oh shi- Wasn't there a pencil on the original pic? Did he make the pencil disappear?

I DON'T WANNA DIE!!
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Man, I still have about 3 weeks of spoiler avoiding before it gets released. Mind you, the next couple of months are going to be pretty sweet. I've got Hulk, dark knight, and iron man all coming out to look forward too (but iron man comes out after hulk, which, as some people went and spoilerised me a bit I gather is very much the wrong way round).
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I loved it. I had such high expectations for it... and the movie some how exceeded them.

Every actor was brilliant. Even that douche Eric Roberts was perfectly cast.

There's nothing to say about Heath Ledger's performance that hasn't already been said. He was perfect in every imaginable way. Best Supporting Actor in the bag... if not Best Actor.

Also, to Vincent, if you want to see another great Aaron Eckhart performance, you should check out "Thank You For Smoking".
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Best Batman film ever. Unlike Batman Returns, 4ever, or Batman and Robin, this does not feel like a Batman episode with a villain of the week.

Thought the film was about to be wrapped up after Joker got into jail. Never thought Two Face would make an entrance, LOL. BEST. ONE. EVER. Let's hope Transformers 2 be as good as this, hm?
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Blitzwing wrote:There's nothing to say about Heath Ledger's performance that hasn't already been said. He was perfect in every imaginable way. Best Supporting Actor in the bag... if not Best Actor.
No, it's not. First of all, he won't be eligible for Best Actor, since he's not the lead. Second, he's likely to get a nomination, but to say it's in the bag is not only silly, but factually inaccurate. In the long, storied history of the Oscars, only about a dozen people have received posthumous nominations, and only one has won: Peter Finch won a Best Actor prize for Network, a far better performance (and film) than Ledger in The Dark Knight. I'm not knocking Ledger's performance, because it was excellent, but he's still a longshot to win, and he'd be joining some elite company if he did eke out a victory. Hell, even (the somewhat overrated but revered at the time) James Dean was nominated TWICE for an Oscar after his death...and lost both times.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Clogs wrote:Eldest Scraplet (11) is demanding to see this movie, having spotted some of the stills and declared The Joker appropriately 'realistic' and thus 'scary'. He is expecting it to rate at least 12A in the UK, sighed dramatically and asked for the DVD 'when it comes out'.

We shall see...
TBH I wouldn't allow my nephew to see the film and he's 13...

The "magic trick" scene alone would do it let alone some of the Joker's more...graphic...stories.

Anyways, a massive thumbs up from me. The film's great in every conceivable fashion :)
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i honestly don't know what to say other than this film was awesome. the joker was perfect, batman was perfect, two-face was perfect (i was originally skeptical about how he was going to look but my god was that awesomely grotesque or what!?), the chemistry was perfect and all the supporting cast were perfect...except rachel with her weird downward drooping eyes...
SPOILER! (select to read)
i'm glad they trashed the Batmobile, don't get me wrong, i loved it, it's just that i always used to look forward seeing the new model in the previous films
here's hoping for a Saw-esque like riddler in the third movie...if they do one that is.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Not long back from watching it. Definitely the best of the Batman films by a country mile and the best comic-book based movie I've seen.

Great performances from all involved, well done for getting Maggie Gylenhaal in to replace the wooden Katie Holmes.

Andy
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I was wondering why there was no thread for this...

Anyway, the movie was amazing. Joker was excellent of course, and Im suprised how much time Two Face got. He will probly be back for the next one.

I dont really have any complaints about the movie itself. People seem to mention that it was too long, but you dont even notice the length with how quickly it moves. The only thing I could mention is nitpicks, such as the sonar junk and Two Faces suit, otherwise its great and imo way more entertaining then the previous movies (excluding Begins).

Also Im in the minority when I say this but I thought Batman Begins was slighty better. TDK improved on certain aspects of it such as the fight scenes but I really liked the overall theme of Begins and I know Ras doesnt even compare to Joker but I really liked his character.

Regardless TDK is amazing and will surely be purchasing the DVD/BR when it comes out.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

First Rutger Hauer, now Eric Roberts. What stuck in thrid rate video film actor will Nolan use in the next one?

Great, great, great film.
I really thought they'd killed Gordon, excellent double bluff. And thank God they did kill Rachel, the only dead weight in the franchise regardless of actress.
I did think it was trying to hard to be a Bond film in a few places (Q scene with Fox, the balloon/plane pick up from Thunderball and the show from FRWL) but the real problem that creates is for this years real Bond film in trying to live up to it. Other that that, a perfect film and Ledger will fully deserve the Oscar nomination (insert complaint about the double standard that a film like this would never getting a look in if he hadn't died) he's guaranteed, and hopefully will win it.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I love the way that these new Batman movies manage to take the Batman villains that most people only know as absurd pantomime caricatures and turn them into believable, (almost) realistic characters. They managed it with the Scarecrow in Batman Begins, but they've topped even that in The Dark Knight.

Heath Ledger's Joker was chilling in a way that only a very, very few characters are. This Joker is completely insane, but instead of trying to deny or hide or justify his madness, he absolutely revels in it. That was his greatest weapon throughout the movie, and what made him such a force to be reckoned with -- you can't threaten, intimidate or negotiate with someone who doesn't care about or even want anything. The Joker's rumpled look just works and makes him infinitely more threatening than the strutting weirdo in a tailored purple suit that we got out of Jack Nicholson. Ledger played the role to perfection, to the point where you genuinely wouldn't be able to tell that it was Ledger playing him if you hadn't known beforehand. All the buzz that his performance generated is completely justified.

Aaron Eckhardt's Harvey Dent is even better, if that's at all possible. I've always considered Two-Face to be one of the most trite and boring Batman villains, a shallow character with nothing going for him beyond his gimmick. But the Harvey Dent (and maybe that's the key...he's Harvey here, and even after everything he does you still think of him that way) in this movie is something entirely different. At the beginning of the film he's a genuinely likable character, by any measure the white knight that he's made out to be. I sat through the entire movie knowing full-well that he was doomed but hoping all the while that the writers would grant him a reprieve at least until the next movie. They took him in a different direction than I would have expected, but a highly believable one given what happened to the poor bastard.
I genuinely thought he was dead at the end of the movie and I hope they don't bring the character back, because nothing they could do with him could top what they accomplished here.
Overall, it was a great movie. The best Batman movie ever, probably the best comic book movie ever and far and away the best movie I've seen in the last couple years.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I definitely loved the movie.
Joker's pencil trick had the whole theatre roaring and cheering. Just plain brutal, but played in a way that made me laugh.

Glad they put in a scene where Bats finally catches Crane. His line, "that's not my opinion" when Bats says "I don't need any help" was pretty funny.

I was kinda hoping they'd use Two-Face as a bridge for another movie. He was really good though. I especially liked the scene where he flipped the coin for Maroni's driver because Maroni had won the coin toss and he couldn't directly shoot him.

I knew the whole "Gordon is dead" bit was just a plot device. You can't kill Jim Gordon off in a Batman movie. He's a major character. Gotham's top cop.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

RID Scourge wrote:I definitely loved the movie.
Joker's pencil trick had the whole theatre roaring and cheering. Just plain brutal, but played in a way that made me laugh.

Glad they put in a scene where Bats finally catches Crane. His line, "that's not my opinion" when Bats says "I don't need any help" was pretty funny.

I was kinda hoping they'd use Two-Face as a bridge for another movie. He was really good though. I especially liked the scene where he flipped the coin for Maroni's driver because Maroni had won the coin toss and he couldn't directly shoot him.

I knew the whole "Gordon is dead" bit was just a plot device. You can't kill Jim Gordon off in a Batman movie. He's a major character. Gotham's top cop.
See I knew they wouldnt kill Gordon, but the reason I knew is that if they did, they would have to deal with my wrath for ending my favourite actors association with the franchise, and they didnt want that
inflatable dalek

What's really impressive about the Gordon bit is that it fooled me even though the trailer had bits in it from later in the film. Infact, including the smashing the Batsign bit made it look as if there was going to be a major "Police turn against Batman" plot that in fact didn't appear till the last thirty seconds.

I did think the blackmail plot fizzled out a bit, though it did deal with one of my problems with the first one, that someone at Wayne Enterprises should have recognised the Tumbler.
Good to see Keith Szarabajka as well, though I'm surprised he wasn't playing Bullock.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

inflatable dalek wrote:
I did think the blackmail plot fizzled out a bit, though it did deal with one of my problems with the first one, that someone at Wayne Enterprises should have recognised the Tumbler.
I don't think that is that big of a problem. It's implied in the first one that the only guy who ever really works there, hell, even goes there is Lucius Fox. I think because of that, it s fair to think it would take someone actually digging to find out that it was a Wayne Enterprises design (which is what happened).
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
secretcode

Animooted

Post by secretcode »

RID Scourge wrote:
{image removed in hopes that it didn't spoil it for everyone}

Tada!!
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
inflatable dalek

Keeping the spoiler text and then playing the clip it talks about seems a bit barking.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

inflatable dalek wrote:Keeping the spoiler text and then playing the clip it talks about seems a bit barking.
Remember who you're talking about/to
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Well I seen it the day it came out and seen it again on Saturday. It's simply the most amazing film I've ever seen in my life.
Heath Ledger's performance was beyond phenomenal. It made me see the Joker in a different light and genuinely feel sorry for him. Truly a tragic character.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

DrEvil wrote:Well I seen it the day it came out and seen it again on Saturday. It's simply the most amazing film I've ever seen in my life.
Really? Speaking as a film student, you need to watch more movies...and I don't even mean "boring" classics from 50 years ago...hell, Jaws alone blows The Dark Knight out of the water...not hating though. Batman was a very good movie.