Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Chromia

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Post by Chromia »

Well, took the kids to see it yesterday, and what can I say?

About halfway through the movie, I realized what I was watching:

The kid from the Transformers movie and some evil Natzi-ish woman, having a sword fight, while standing atop some armored vehicles, tearing full speed through the Amazon jungle, the other bad guys blazing away at them with their guns right on the edge of a cliff, looking for an alien crystal skull with Indiana Jones driving one of the vehicles whilst fist fighting another bad guy...all at the same time.

Folks, it just don't get any better than this

:up:
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Yeah this film was pretty effing amazing.
Though what was with the Gopher/Beaver things?
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Just saw the movie and enjoyed it. Overall it was funny and had some cool action scenes. But what was with...
SPOILER! (select to read)
...the Tarzan crap with him and the monkeys? C'mon!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I will attempt to liken my disappointment with this movie with imagery.

This movie was like getting excited for a Christmas present in a huge box, but when you open it, the only thing that's inside is a bum who kicks you in the nuts and walks out the door.

I don't think I can even say that was even decent as a movie, much less an entry in the Indiana Jones series.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Thought it suffered from Die Hard 4 syndrome, too many set pieces and use of cg. Not something i'd bother to watch again.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://theferrett.livejournal.com/1103035.html

Think I'm gonna wait to see this one.

Iron Man, that actually lived up to the hype -- pretty much note perfect.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Sir Auros wrote:
I don't think I can even say that was even decent as a movie, much less an entry in the Indiana Jones series.

Aww, sorry to hear this Auros. But, from talking to everyone who has seen it...you either love it, or hate it. Not seeing a lot of folks in the middle.

But, I did love it, so, just remember, at Christmas, you can all buy me the DVD. :up:
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I enjoyed most of the movie. The problem I found was that when there were bad moments, they were really, really, really bad. Moments that are so absolutely WTF-terrible that even though the rest of the film was really fun, all I can think about are those awful scenes.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I saw it and enjoyed it. My favorite scene was the jeep chase/sword fight. Also loved how all the Russians had Storm Trooper like shooting accuracy. I don't know how I'd feel about them continuing the series with Shia as the main character though, which is what the rumours are now.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Awesome movie.:D:I didn't expect it to the the way it ended.:lol:
The ending involves aliens and UFOs.
It was also hilarious when Jones was stuck in the nuclear testing grounds and he shoved himself into a lead sealed refrigerator when the nuke went off.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Denyer wrote: Think I'm gonna wait to see this one.

Iron Man, that actually lived up to the hype -- pretty much note perfect.
Here, Here. That is the EXACT same thing I said to my dad on the way out after seeing the Crystal Skull today. We saw this huge IM standee near the exit, and he asked "so you really liked the IM movie, huh?"

um, YES.

Crystal Skull was ok. Not great, but ok. Decent effects, good to see Ford still able to walk and all. Of course, he will always be Han Solo to me, but whatever.

Now, what I'm really excited for is some X Files goodness, Hulk-smashness, Batman jokerness, and another viewing of Iron Man Downey-Jr-ness before it leaves theatres.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Sades

Post by Sades »

I wasn't impressed.
The stupid monek swinging vines scene had me laughing out loud... I have no doubt that that was it's entire purpose, but I don't think the reasons why it was thrown in and why I was laughing in the first place match up. I was laughing because I felt it was hideously stupid- I actually felt sorry for Lucas at that point. I mean, the entire film was filled with moments like that, but none made me question whether or not people in Hollywood had taken complete leave of their film making sanity as that one did, for some reason. 0.o
But, other than that, it was entertaining. Which is basically what I expected. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Oh George Lucas... How the mighty have fallen. I have no idea how this movie is doing so good in the box office because it is sheer and utter rubish... Oh wait. Fanboys.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Just saw it. Not as good as Raiders or Last crusade, but way better than Temple of doom.
I enjoyed how the characters form George Lucas’s American graffiti made a cameo.

Would it be too much of a stretch to think those extra dimensional beings where related in some way to ET or the aliens from close encounters of the third kind?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong on something:
In the beginning of the film when the Nazis have him in area 51 (I presume), did they not bump into the Ark of the Covenant during the Jeep chase in the base?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Not Nazis zeeks, Commies.

Soviets, Reds, Ruskies, Pinkos.

And yes it was the ark.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Zeeks wrote:Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong on something:
In the beginning of the film when the Nazis have him in area 51 (I presume), did they not bump into the Ark of the Covenant during the Jeep chase in the base?

Yes, yes they did. Nice 'cameo' from it.:-)
numbat

Post by numbat »

Just saw the film this evening.

I wasn't expecting it to match up with the originals by any means, but it was actually worse than I was hoping (in my opinion).

I enjoyed the little nods to the other films, and there were a number of good moments - but I felt they were far out numbered by the sheer rediculous and awful. But, hey, I guess it took the fantastic elements of the originals and focused on thet approach, so it'll please a lot of folks, I'd expect.

The thing I always liked about the originals, though, was how they kept one foot jamming the door to reality open, while this one has firmly shut, locked, and bricked it up.

I blame David Koepp. I can never get in to any of his screenplays... Why Spielberg loves him so, I have no idea...
And what's the deal with the bloody magnetism? Making that crazy noise, and making metal fly - well, select metal objects, a lot seemed totally unaffected... Oh, and the monkey thing... Oh, and the surviving a nuclear blast thing... None of these really served any great plot purpose bar the magnetism, so why make such a mess of it? Just gone way too far...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I know, and gold isn’t magnetic.
It’s impossible for pure gold to be magnetic
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I thought it was fun, myself.
I still think the best part about the monkey scene is when Mutt realizes that the monkey has his hairdo.

And the last I read, Spielberg's said that Shia has to make a lot more TF movies before they'll let him play Indy. Or, presumably, Mutt in his own series of spin-off movies.
Not as good as Last Crusade(and I really wish they'd been able to talk Connery into unretiring for this one, but it's mainly because the Ford/Connery double act flowed better, to my mind, at least, than the Ford/Labeouf one.

And if they want to do more "younger Indy" movies, why not talk to Sean Patrick Flannery? He's got experience. Gonna have to go see this one again.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642