Going months without bungling something, Sony falls off the wagon

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Going months without bungling something, Sony falls off the wagon

Post by Sir Auros »

Details on the Limited Edition PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. The gunmetal gray one?

It's got a cool paintjob, comes with the limited edition of the game, costs $600, and...

...it's a damn 40gig console. The size of a PS3 hard drive is largely irrelevant since it can be upgraded, except it tells who what type of console you're getting. In this case, you're getting the worst possible version of the system because it has no backwards compatibility with PS2 games. You can play MGS1, but not 2 or 3. Why? Why the hell would you cut a corner like that AND still charge more than the 80gig (with limited backwards compatibility) that's bundled with the game?

I'm glad I was able to pick up a 60gig (as complete BC as you'll get) at a pawnshop for $300.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Dude, come on man. PSP sucks. I'll stick with my DS.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron wrote:Dude, come on man. PSP sucks. I'll stick with my DS.
He's talking about the PS3 though. I fail to see what the PSP or DS have to do with it.

-Ss, who just bought an XBox360 and is more than happy with it thus far.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron wrote:Dude, come on man. PSP sucks. I'll stick with my DS.
d U liek mudkipz!?
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

XBOX and PS3 are both fantastically overpriced and overrated. My PS2 and Wii are an awesome combination.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Vin Ghostal wrote:XBOX and PS3 are both fantastically overpriced and overrated. My PS2 and Wii are an awesome combination.

3 months ago I might have argued about the Xbox 360 but since I got the
red ring of death and had to pay Mircosoft $99 to fix the damn thing I'm rethinking my position on it. :rant:
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:3 months ago I might have argued about the Xbox 360 but since I got the
red ring of death and had to pay Mircosoft $99 to fix the damn thing I'm rethinking my position on it. :rant:
How did you have to pay them to fix it when they're covering repairs for systems with RRoD issues?

I've had a PS3 for less than a month and I've gotten more enjoyment out of it than I have out of the Wii I've had since launch.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Odds are he voided the warranty somehow.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I'm on my 3rd 360 because of the ring o' death. I only got one because it was cheaper than a PS3. I should have just paid out of my nose to begin with and got a PS3. I wanted the xbox exclusives, though, like gears of war. Are there any issues with a PS3 that cause them to break down? And the 60g version is the best for backwards compatability?
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

I got my PS3 at launch through a random bit of luck and already setting aside a good part of the cash need to buy it. My 60g version has no problems so far with operating. PS2 games looked like crap to begin with, but after a system upgrade, which come on some games or are downloaded (takes a really long time either way), the games looked great. Really, I haven't had any problems since then. No overheating or anything and it will running for 20+ hours before I turn it off.
~
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

If you buy a brand new PS3 for backwards compatibilty, sorry, but the new shipped PS3s are not backwards compatible.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Crap, i was planning on getting one, due to thinking that it would have backwards compatiblites. I think that will piss off some people who wanted the Ps3 because they still wanted to play ps1 or ps2 games. Good thing i still have a ps2 due to my ps1 doesn't seem to work right now.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

80gig PS3s are somewhat backwards compatible, but the 40gigs are not. That said, there is an 80gig PS3 bundled with MGS4 that'll be coming out in June. It's not the version with the limited edition game or paintjob, but it's the best you'll get as far as backwards compatibility goes as of now.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

secretcode wrote:Odds are he voided the warranty somehow.

The warranty expired and I didn't know about it.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:The warranty expired and I didn't know about it.
It shouldn't have, though. MS applied a much extended warranty on 360s that are affected by RRoD issues, so at the very least you should be able to ask for a refund on your repair.

EDIT - Yeah, you should definitely be covered. Since the 360 won't even be 3 years old until this Fall, nobody should be paying for RRoD repairs. Unless they're doing things differently for people outside of the US, and/or your issue wasn't related to the RRoD.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

The gunmetal version is not being sold in stores. In other words, its meant to be a collector item, ie only for those die hard mgs fans. Its also not just painted a different color, its made out of a different material compared to the standard PS3s.

That said, it will be something simply to show off...or to sell on ebay for crazy monies. The regular 80gb bundle is a far superior deal for functionality, which I will get. Plus I already have a pre order on the game LE anyway. Also the 80gb bc is very high. Sure it wont play the super obscure game, but checking my collection of PS2 games (80+) all of them work with no problems or at most negligible issues.

Auros, looking forward to playing some pstripple with you once I get setup. Did you manage to try out the MGO beta?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

No, I gave the beta key to one of my students early one week and then got the used PS3 the very next weekend. :swirly:

Tried some demos and bought Uncharted, but it looks like MGS4 is the next game I'll buy. Just about everything else that's out on the system I can wait and rent through Gamefly.

Bluray is ****ing awesome, though. I wish they'd lower the price of discs to better compete with digital distribution or standard DVDs.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I must not be enough of a geek to appreciate some of the stuff you guys throw your money at...the Blu-Ray players and more expensive discs, the PS3's and XBOX's, the flat-screen TV's, etc....they're marginally nicer, yes, but at quite a price...I'd rather enjoy my Wii and ordinary DVDs on a projection TV and put the cash into stocks....the best part is that these technologies always come down in price rapidly, and those who buy them early have spent a ton for something they could have had for much cheaper 1 year later. I've done that with PS2 games - just wait until they've been out for a little while, then pick them up for cheap on the secondary market. The game's every bit as good and you get just as much enjoyment for a fraction of the price...same reason I never go to the movies...and people wonder why I'm always able to go out to dinner, go to that game or concert, or buy the fine clothing...to each his own, I suppose. If the latest technology is what brings you the most joy, more power to you.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Uh...you're really calling HDTVs and the 360 and PS3 the latest technology?. Bluray I'll grant you that it's still new, unproven, and overpriced, but HDTVs are no longer at a premium price and neither are the game systems. The Wii is now the exception, not the rule when it comes to console pricing. I wonder if we'll even see MS or Sony's machines come down to $199 before the next generation starts. The cost of gaming has gone up. Even the Wii's accessories cost about as much as those on the next-gen consoles.

Bargains can be had on all the systems as well as HDTVs, and with the rise of services like Gamefly and Netflix, the savings on media can compensate for the risen cost in hardware.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Ghostal, I used to be skeptical of Bluray, too. Then I watched a Bluray version of "Enter the Dragon". It was so unbelievably awesome. Changed my life.
~