Am I wrong to enjoy Morrissey?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Am I wrong to enjoy Morrissey?

Post by Notabot »

I saw Morrissey on the Late Late Show the other night, and it got me to thinking. Here in South Dakota, Morrissey's pretty much an underground thing (at least, he was during my school days). Mention The Smiths or his solo stuff, and most people give you a blank stare. As such, it is socially acceptable (and maybe even a bit hip) to be a fan. Elsewhere, though, is he one of those people that are so popular that the in crowd isn't supposed to like him? Do I lose street cred for admitting I enjoy his music?
I'm not about to stop liking him. I'm just wondering if I need to hide it, or if the cool kids will still like me if I admit it.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Nah, its still ok somehow.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I like the Smiths (don't quite consider them elite, amazing stuff, but they're a bunch of good, solid LPs and most of the time the lyrics are just right), but found the solo stuff dire.

ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN FTW :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Only sad angsty "look at how edgy and anti-establishment and kewl I am" emo kids like Morrisey.

Nah. That's unfair. They're okay. Horrendously overrated in my view. Marr's a legend, and Mozza's a great lyricist. What I know of him as a person makes me think he's a twat, though. But then most musicians are, aren't they?
borg72

Post by borg72 »

nah, somehow its always ok to like morrisey, regardless of how much you want to slap him with his own bunch of flowers...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I like a lot of the Smiths stuff and some of his solo work but having read and watched some interviews with him the man himself is a C U Next Tuesday.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's so difficult when talented people are pricks, isn't it? This is why the only music folks I'm particularly interested in are The Damned (nice, ordinary bunch of blokes, though Vanian's a bit weird) and Bowie (who seems to be a reassuringly normal bloke, and spends most of his time taking the piss out of himself)... Beyond those, there are very few people in my CD collection I'd particularly want to meet. Maybe Kate Bush, she's probably too mad to be much of a bitch.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

I really don't have a problem if you enjoy Morrissey or not. In fact, I try not to judge people on their musical tastes. Personally, I get a lot of crap from my roommate and his girlfriend for listening to Daft Punk. So what, I like French house. Anyhow, whatever you like, whether bluegrass mountain gospel or Peking opera, its all O.K. in my book. Just don't confirm to the silly fashion stereotypes labeled with them :p
~
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nothing at all wrong with Daft Punk. Are they house? I always just thought of them as electro/funk. Hrm. I suppose so, maybe. Justice are tops too, if you're not already familiar.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Yeah, I was surprised about Daft being house too. I really just depends on the album. Homework was all about the house style, with Discovery mixing it up a little with the funk samples. Yet you can usually pick up the traditional house beat in most every one of their songs. Keep in mind, I've only been listening to them for about a year or so.
On the topic of Justice, I have Cross, which is premium stuff. Waters of Nazareth is probably my favorite track and Stress has the perfect title of any piece of music I've ever listened to.
~