Secret Invasion Speculation -- Who do you think is a Skrull?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

Secret Invasion Speculation -- Who do you think is a Skrull?

Post by Civ »

Well, since Secret Invasion is in the not-too-distant future, I was wondering if anybody's been speculating who potential Skrull candidates could be. Personally, the ones that would make sense to plant/replace other people would be the ones who were rather secretive or some other trait where suspicion wouldn't be immediately apparent. For instance, Black Bolt can't talk without wrecking everything so he usually remains silent. As long as they can keep telepaths from reading the imposters mind, which I think they can thanks to Prof. X being captured by the Skrulls in the Illuminati series. Elektra is usually pretty secretive as far as I know being the ninja assassin and all, so that would make sense. So, going by that, I could see the following being Skrulls:

Miriam Sharpe: It would be the perfect plant since she helped plant the seeds for Civil War and the Superhuman Registration Act that split the community in half. Before Civil War, no one knew who she was and since we don't know a lot about her, who would suspect if she wasn't acting normally?

Medusa: The only reason I think she could be a Skrull is through the Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, where it's said that Black Bolt and she developed a special sign language. Assuming this carries over to the comics, since Black Bolt was a Skrull, I'd want to make sure there would be no immediate suspicion so I'd replace his wife as well. Her powers would seem easy enough to replicate considering all she has is moving hair as far as I know. Also, Medusa is queen of the Inhumans so she would be in a position of power.

Linda Reynolds: Sentry seems awfully convinced that he saw her dead and we don't know much about her. Since Sentry is also nuckin' futs, people could write off the mistake as something due to his condition. Also, she would be in a position closest to influenc the world's most powerful superhero, so that could only be a plus for the Skrull side.

Lockheed (Kitty Pryde's purple dragon): He doesn't talk much, he doesn't have a personality that's hard to replicate, he can breathe fire and Skrulls can already imitate the Human Torch's powers, and he's currently residing with the X-Men. He'd be in a position to spy on them without really rousing suspicion.

The Thing: During Civil War, he pretty much said, "screw this," and
left the US to go to France. I could see while either going there or coming back from, he could have been abducted at some point. He wasn't a part of either side for a portion of Civil War, the Skrulls should know a ton about him since they fought the FF for so long, and they can already replicate his stone skin and probably his strength too. Plus, he's on the Fantastic Four and a sorta major character, which I could see really shaking the heroes' morale if they found out he was a spy.

Those are mine thus far. Anyone else?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Joe Quesada.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Bendis too!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

No. Not Bendis. Just Joe "don't ask any questions, just accept it - that's how magic works" Quesada.

Seriously, it's the most plausible explanation. He's been replaced by somebody with no ****ing clue of how people actually think.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"Replaced"? Quesada's been ****ing over the Marvel Universe to meet his own fanboy views for years, it's just taken this long to filter onto the really big books. C'mon, you remember the head**** of when Uncanny and New were being written by two people who obviously had no idea what the other was doing...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
C'mon, you remember the head**** of when Uncanny and New were being written by two people who obviously had no idea what the other was doing...

Valid point.

I'd mention Lockheed already having a non-X-Men agenda, but Astonishing has followed the tradition of its forerunner New and had absolutely nothing to do with anything else.

I blame Quesada for the scheduling of that, too. "Hey Joss, why not write a 24 issue arc covering about two days? We'll publish it over three years, so that by the time it's concluded it'll have no relevance to anything in the mainstream universe anymore? Oh, and we'll have changed the pacing to cut down on decompression, so it'll look even more outdated. That sound good?"

I wonder how Ellis will respond to such editorial whims.

[EDIT]
Back on topic (I know, crazy!), Steve Rogers was a Skrull. That's how they're going to resurrectify him. Oh yes.

Or something.

Harry Osborn?
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Stark would be too obvious. Plus I think a bunch of people have already confirmed that Stark isn't one. Someone else who was high up on the Pro-Registration side probably is though. Maybe the President?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I don't even ****ing care anymore. I might not even read it at this point. It's not like it'll even have a real effect on anything.

I just hope they bring Jean back and somehow lobotomize Emma then I'd be happy with it.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

I'm thinking Wonderman, Sentry's wife, and Wolverine. There's a big thread with most of the clues that have already poped up at the Bendis Board.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
There's a big thread with most of the clues that have already poped up at the Bendis Board.

Link?
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Well, Stark is so obvious that he can’t be a Skrull – yet so obvious that he almost has to be a Skrull. Might be the only way to redeem the character. As it is, I recently realized that I wouldn’t mind if they killed the ****er….

Who else? Richards would seem to be an obvious target of the Skrulls, what with the FF often opposing them, and it would help explain his involvement in Civil War, exiling the Hulk… May have been too much angsty character work done for it to make too much sense, though (or not; only seen bits and pieces of his recent history).

Who else has been out of character lately? Yellowjacket? One or two of the Thunderbolts, maybe, but they’re too far off the beaten path, I’d guess… Maybe the entire “Mighty Avengers” will turn out to be Skrulls?

I like some of the other guesses here – seem to make some sense… I will make one prediction, though – Spider-Man is NOT a Skrull.

(Though, that would make his continuity even more ridiculously convoluted than it’s already just become… And, I suppose that could always be a backdoor out of the “no marriage” fiasco – “It was the Skrull Spidey that made the deal! Mephsisto couldn’t tell the difference because… ‘cause the Skrulls are just that good! Yeah!”)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Transfannabeel wrote:I'm thinking Wonderman, Sentry's wife, and Wolverine. There's a big thread with most of the clues that have already poped up at the Bendis Board.

Wolverine's upgrade from healing factor to outright limb regeneration would make sense then.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I was buying everything about a year or so so ago. now i just can't be bothered its just too retarded to read anymore. I only pick up captain america because that is largely unaffected by the bendis-quesada cluster****.

Cliffjumper: "wake you up when marvel becomes largely unaffected by the bendis-quesada cluster****"?

Me:"yeah wake me up when marvel becomes largely unaffected by the bendis-quesada cluster****"

Cliffjumper: "ok i'll wake you up when marvel becomes largely unaffected by the bendis-quesada cluster****"*

OMG hilarious and realistic bendis dialogueZ!!!!1
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Zisteau wrote:Wolverine's upgrade from healing factor to outright limb regeneration would make sense then.
Including regenerating from an adamantium-shielded brain?
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I hope to god iron man is a skrull.

he has been totaly nut for the past couple of years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

So is anybody reading this since it's come out? I know everyone is fed up with Marvel's 'Big Events' lately, but this one seems like a pretty good story. I just finished Issue #1 a couple days ago and I like it so far. I read New and Mighty Avengers anyway, so this is a payoff that I've been waiting for for several months now.

Any thoughts from those who've read it? Any thoughts on who else could have been replaced by a Skrull?

Spoilers for Issue #1:

I could tell that Jarvis would be one after his suspicious look when he first appeared alone with Spider-Woman. Hank Pym isn't that big of a surprise since he's a semi-villain anyways.

I'm guessing that all of those heroes that came out of the ship in the Savage Land are Skrulls that have been brainwashed into thinking they're actually the heroes that they are impersonating... should make for some interesting conflict.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Blitzwing wrote:So is anybody reading this since it's come out? I know everyone is fed up with Marvel's 'Big Events' lately, but this one seems like a pretty good story. I just finished Issue #1 a couple days ago and I like it so far. I read New and Mighty Avengers anyway, so this is a payoff that I've been waiting for for several months now.

Any thoughts from those who've read it? Any thoughts on who else could have been replaced by a Skrull?

Spoilers for Issue #1:
SPOILER! (select to read)
I could tell that Jarvis would be one after his suspicious look when he first appeared alone with Spider-Woman. Hank Pym isn't that big of a surprise since he's a semi-villain anyways.

I'm guessing that all of those heroes that came out of the ship in the Savage Land are Skrulls that have been brainwashed into thinking they're actually the heroes that they are impersonating... should make for some interesting conflict.
see what I did there?
Civ

Post by Civ »

I got the first issue.
SPOILER! (select to read)
I just want to know what all of that "he loves you" stuff was all about. The book itself read as pretty choppy...usual Bendis, but at least I could semi-follow it. That one phrase though has me completely stumped. Who is this "he"?

As far as the Skrull choices go, I like that they went with Dum Dum Dugan, Jarvis, and Hank Pym. All of the characters have access to some really high tech stuff that could **** up the hero community more than a bit if something went wrong like SHIELD, Iron Man and his tech, and Reed Richards. So, who's gonna get boned next?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Considering the out of character decisions Peter Parker has made Revel secret idenity despite one of the biggest villians gallery in comics and a very frail aunt, a deal with the devil to restore it and wipe away his marrage to the women he loves because Joe Quesada is obsessed with making Parker a teen again despite having the Ultimate version for that purpse etc etc etc you all best ****ing hope it was a skrull all along. I know I do.

****, hasn't Joe Quesada realised all his editoral decisions are crap yet? What happend to leave the ****ing writers to wrote their stories.