Longshot- anyone ever watch Mysterious Cities of Gold?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

Bought the Dungeons and Dragons boxset with some vague memory of them all going home in the end....how dissapointing.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

you gullible fool :p

has anyone seen the end of the cities of gold ? is it worth watching the whole series or not ?

denyer : i'm up for a gummi bears gruel-a-thon ! but i think you're right in that copious amounts of alcohol would be required - just to remain sane
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

TBH, I can't think of many cartoons I'd want to sit down and watch now... for things like Cities or Defenders of the Earth [DEFENDERS!] I'd probably be happier with my rose-tinted, out of context memories - Transformers is Hell to sit down and rewatch, and TBH seems one of the better 1980s cartoons... I've got a growing morbid fascination in seeing all of Gobots, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a really bad idea - on the other hand, anyone know anywhere to get boots?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

DotE still has its moments, or did five or six years ago... likewise stuff like Jayce, MASK, Joes, etc. is entertaining in moderation with company that also remembers it. Never seen Challenge of the Gobots boots, but I'll let you know if anything turns up... have you tried having a rummage on YouTube?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh... yielded the titles (respectable title music, to be fair), an advert for Staks and a brief clip of Leader-1 being bumraped by Dr. Go :\ Oh, and that clip of Unicron eating Gobotron - ahhh, that's nostalgia, I remember when that looked impressive ;) Cheers, though :)

It's probably a hard one to get hold of, as it didn't have the following of most of these shows and they didn't seem to put too much out on tape...

GI Joe, the film every now and then is good enough for me, though I expect it's torture for fans. Some nice set-pieces and fun cheese in it, though (favourite random bit from last viewing: Nemesis Enforcer has just blinded Roadblock...

ROADBLOCK: I can't see!
COBRA COMMANDER: I'll be your eyes!
ROADBLOCK: Which way out?
COBRA COMMANDER: That way! (pointing)

I mean, Ron, you just blinded him a second ago... it was like, two lines ago...), but it's a bit too mad by the end. Best watched with uber-bad UK dub-job - this is my excuse for not noticing how hammily redone the "Duke's gonna be a-okay!" ending was until about 2003, when Brend or someone pointed out he was meant to die originally...
Scout

Post by Scout »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh... yielded - and a brief clip of Leader-1 being bumraped by Dr. Go :\

:wtf: I don't think I wanna know.

Now, dun go swattin' Gummies! :p That was a fun series- even if it was a bit mind-numbing. Grammy and Gruffy were my favs.

Was in Target tonight and saw the Talespin, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck series have come out on dvds too. It's fun so many older sets are being issued. I do wish they'd bring out the three Unico movies from the 70's again- the prices are insane on them.

Cliffy- I might have all of the Gobots VHS tapes still. Dad's putting up the video shelves tonight and I'll be able to unpack the video stuff properly in the next few days to let you know.
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

Gizmo-Duck was the best thing that happened to 'Duck Tales'.Surprised he didn't have a spin-off...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
has anyone seen the end of the cities of gold ? is it worth watching the whole series or not ?

It's as bad as, if not worse than Dungeons and Dragons for a 'nothing' ending, seriously.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Memories of the toon are unclear....but I do remeber the long theme song ("children of the sun........") and a goofy boy in a yellow pancho (yeah, that one slartibartfast has posted).

This reminds me of other early (very early) morning programing that was on televison during the same time as City of Gold was; does anyone remeber Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors?

ah screw it, here's a link if you don't remember it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A1c1G24GWDg

:sweatdrop
...oh-dear-god...that's just.....hmm...well.......
...and yet, its infectious...in a crappy, new-wave sort of way

Anyhow, they used to show in the same 2 hour block of morning cartoons.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Signs are that official English DVDs are coming next year:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3337194/ ... oduct.html
http://home.comcast.net/~skutt/mcog.html
http://www.fabulousfilms.co.uk/
http://www.fabulousfilmsusa.com/fabfilms.html

If anyone's after the soundtrack, this is what I've been able to dig up:

http://virtualdebris.co.uk/weblog/?start=195
You know...I almost find the naivete in the narrator's "history" of the new world careless...oh well, what do you expect?
The documentary snippets that aired with each show in some countries are a lot less careless -- and the show in general was far more sympathetic to the indigenous populations than was typical for the 80s.

I don't remember Jayce much, but it must've aired in the UK at some point because I have friends who watched it and like the modern re-runs.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
TBH, I can't think of many cartoons I'd want to sit down and watch now... for things like Cities or Defenders of the Earth [DEFENDERS!] I'd probably be happier with my rose-tinted, out of context memories -

Defenders of the Earth is one of those shows where it's nice to have a couple of episodes, but you wouldn't want the whole lot. There's an insanely cheap DVD out there with the first few episodes edited together that fullfilled my needs in that regard. It's fun, but it falls apart when you realise it's a show full of cool characters that insted focuses on those bloody kids. The Phantom Rawks.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by Denyer
The documentary snippets that aired with each show in some countries are a lot less careless -- and the show in general was far more sympathetic to the indigenous populations than was typical for the 80s.

I don't remember Jayce much, but it must've aired in the UK at some point because I have friends who watched it and like the modern re-runs.

grumble, grumble, grumble

I forgot I even wrote that post (I was only a week or two old by TFA standards when I did). In those days, children, when I went by a different alias, I apparently liked to use ":lol:" to convey points.

At any rate, if I recall, Jayce's show schedule was usually at times when a broader audience was unable to catch it. Mind you, I wouldn't consider this a reliable source, but I think this had something to do with the toys (which I had a number of) not being marketed simultaneously with the cartoon. Something along those lines.
Shoot, I am trying to remember where I found the source that verified this.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm. Don't remember any Jayce toys in the UK at all, TBH. Only the series. Mind you, if this is what they looked like --

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/wwarriors/wwarriors.html

-- not too surprised they didn't take off.

I've actually forgotten what your previous handle was...
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

What R did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC, thus marking a point of no return ?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Well, ummm, slarti remembers, and that's all that matters...sniff, sniff....you sure do know how to make a person feel special :(
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Her old name was so cool Deep Space Nine named a Runabout after her.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by slartibartfast
What R did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC, thus marking a point of no return ?
Ah yes. Ta. :)
you sure do know how to make a person feel special
Didn't I admit to not having really noticed you (due to not being around much) when I did the name change?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Didn't I admit to not having really noticed you (due to not being around much) when I did the name change?

You do realize I'm just messing with you, right?

And yeah, there was something about a mere few week period of absence being mentioned in that thread
http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... adid=38576