RIP Terri Schiavo

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ravage
Protoform

RIP Terri Schiavo

Post by Ravage »

For all the crap our wonderful government has done to this family. May whatever you all believe in *my views God but I respect anyone elses* finally grant this woman peace.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/31/schiavo/index.html
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Finally. I felt so bad for this poor woman.

I personally have a living will, and hope to God that my family would never do anything like this to me, keeping me "here" for so long, instead of letting me go when it's my time.

RIP, Terri...........
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

i understand and sympathise with both sides of the argument.
Piranacon
Protoform

Post by Piranacon »

RIP
________
Tx500
Computron

Post by Computron »

about bloody time, if my family ever pulled a crap stunt like this on me I'd haunt them for eternity - If I ever get dependent on machines for a long duration of time I'd want them to let me die (though I'd rather they poisoned me than let me starve to death)
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Dehydration is the worse posible way for a human to die. The tongue dries up and cracks, your skin starts to bleed. Horrible tragedy this all is. Reminds me of the euthanasia program the Nazi's used.
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

RIP, Terri!
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Dehydration is the worse posible way for a human to die. The tongue dries up and cracks, your skin starts to bleed. Horrible tragedy this all is. Reminds me of the euthanasia program the Nazi's used.

I was thinking the same thing myself. It's just sad to think that she suffered for so long. This is truly a case that nobody should have to go through. :(
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Mmm, I'm glad she's at peace now.

We try, at my hospital, to operate, a 'Palliative Care Pathway'. Whereby when a patient's prognosis is unavoidably death, we try and make them as comfortable as possible, but we withdraw things such as IV/sub-cut fluids and antibiotics, we only then manage pain and airway symptoms, via meds etc, nothing invasive.

There is a grey area though, in a 'living will', I've only treated one patient who subscribed to a living will, and that patient was an end stage Motor Neurone Disease, and she was admitted with a chest infection secondary to dysphagia (losing control of her swallow) the patient also developed a secondary infection, both infections gave this patient considerable discomfort, most notably to her breathing.

But we were unable to ease the patient's suffering, because knowing of the diagnosis and subsequent prognosis, the patient had filled out a 'living will' stating that whenever this patient was admitted to hospital for palliative care, that the patient was, under no circumstances, to recieve antibiotics.

As such she passed in some discomfort, yet we were unable to treat these symptoms due to the legalities of the 'living will'. It's frustrating and very upsetting.

I do believe totally in euthanasia, in certain circumstances and I have seen many people die in such a way, mostly due dehydration that would be so much better off, with a quick dose of diamorph all that suffering ends in a heartbeat, instead of two weeks.

Misguided love, heartbreaking.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Dehydration is the worse posible way for a human to die.
Not in this case. One would require the neurological capacity for pain to actually suffer it.

I hope the family can move on easily. What we need now is to make sure two certain branches of our government don't try to sidestep separation of powers again.
Ultimate Weapon

Originally posted by Reflector
Not in this case. One would require the neurological capacity for pain to actually suffer it.

She was not a vegetable. She could see and feel, just like anybody else. What is your source for this determination? Her body had become accustomed to surviving long periods without water. That is why she was able to live so long without the tube.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

I'd care if she didn't actually die when I was 4.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

That was about the most eloquent thing I've ever read from you, SA.
She was not a vegetable. She could see and feel, just like anybody else. What is your source for this determination?
I'm curious about yours, to be honest. Every doctor who examined her came to the conclusion that her cerebral cortex - the part of her brain that allowed her to do things like see and feel - had liquefied within months of her heart attack fifteen years ago. The only ones I've read say otherwise are Bill Frist and a few other partisan politician-doctors who never actually examined her.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

this is a killing
Arsehole.
worse posible way for a human to die.
Person, not human.
Ultimate Weapon

Every doctor who examined her came to the conclusion that her cerebral cortex - the part of her brain that allowed her to do things like see and feel - had liquefied within months of her heart attack fifteen years ago.

That would not explain why she was able to say, "Help me mommy." This is clearly a scheme hatched by Micheal Schiavo.
Civ

Post by Civ »

That would not explain why she was able to say, "Help me mommy."

Did she say this of her own free will or was she responding to stimuli and somebody was prodding her to say it?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Ultimate Weapon

Originally posted by Civ
Did she say this of her own free will or was she responding to stimuli and somebody was prodding her to say it?

As far as I know she said it when they removed the feeding tube the first time.
Ultimate Weapon

Originally posted by Denyer
Person, not human.

*Smashes Denyer with Dictionary.*

Don't get all semanty! :p

Person:
"A living human. Often used in combination: chairperson; spokesperson; salesperson."

Human:
"A person: the extraordinary humans who explored Antarctica."
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

That was about the most eloquent thing I've ever read from you, SA.

Funny. I was thinking it was the most idiotic thing I've ever head him say. Which, all things considering, is pretty surprising.
Civ

Post by Civ »

As far as I know she said it when they removed the feeding tube the first time.

Is it possible that I can see the source where you read this? I'm having trouble believing this since her cortex liquified nearly 15 years ago, which took away her ability to think.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up: