Are You Addicted To The Internet

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sassy
Protoform

Are You Addicted To The Internet

Post by Sassy »

I just stumbled upon this site. I had previously heard of internet addictions but I never read up on them. I’m not sure maybe at one point in my life I was addicted to the internet but now I have gotten over my addiction, I have a life full time-infact not enough time to do all that I want-the exact opposite of an addict. I had read the signs of internet addiction and I don’t believe I suffer from any of them, but do you?

http://www.slais.ubc.ca/courses/libr500 ... e/what.htm
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Internet addiction? You mean like half of America's workforce.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yes.

Next question.
Sassy
Protoform

Post by Sassy »

Originally posted by Denyer
Yes.

Next question.

Well then why are you addicted what's the root of your problem?

I was lonely, board, and just needed a place to chat while I was at Centenary college...now I have a life so I've moved on from my "addiction" though I hadn't qualified from their standards...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

If I go without being online for more than five minutes, I get the shakes and am very irritable . . .

SHUT UP!!!

*twitches*
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sassy
why are you addicted what's the root of your problem?
I rather like keeping in touch with people, and therefore feel like one of my senses has been cut when I don't have access to email. Locating information through book sources can be extremely cumbersome and slow, and I'm habituated to being able to find anything I'm after very rapidly with just a few keywords and knowing where to look.

That's not physical addiction, it's psychological. I don't view it as a problem unless the availability of information distracts me too far from other things. I don't view my use of and physical addiction to caffeine as a problem, either. Addiction is not a bad thing in and of itself.

It's amusing how people look for things that can be pathologised.
The Wild One

Post by The Wild One »

I used to be. At work, it just serves as a distraction from......work. I hate work to the utmost. If I was at home, I would be sleeping.
It's time to get wild!!!!!
The Wild One
Garand

Post by Garand »

Fixing computers has for the most part broken any addiction I once had, as did years of dial-up.. **shudder**
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm not sure if "addicted to the internet" is the term for me... I'd be rather lost without my computer, as it has my site on it, and CM 2, my main ways of using free time when Sar's not around. I do prefer to have the option of internet access, but i rarely spend more than 2-3 hours online any more... I only really post here and do ebay, and the odd bit of research, and tend to use the net in 20-30 minute bursts. There's no better cure for internet addiction than reading the longer topics in GD, I generally find.

I am addicted to nicotine and cunnilingus, though, so I guess we all have vices.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

There are a lot of things I spend an unhealthy amount of time doing, and the internet is one of them.

I like yelling at people who can't hit me.
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

yep,i'm addicted,I fear the day when my moniter dies
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Originally posted by Tiki Torch
yep,i'm addicted,I fear the day when my moniter dies

I'd be pissed off if I fry another CPU ...
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

I'm doing a swich of parts,one of them just...well we can say its had better days:(
Piranacon
Protoform

Post by Piranacon »

Yup I am addicted.

I don't know but when I get home I just seem to have an urge to turn on the computer and just get online asap. :confused:
________
Europe
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

Same here man!
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

I answered the question before I click on the thread (answer was yes) but I wanted to feel special, so I replied. :smokin:
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Yes, I am indeed a whiny bitch who can't take responsibility for my own actions and therefore seek to claim its a questions of medical affliction rather than will and choice. :rolleyes:

You can't be physically addicted to many things, and one psychological dependence can easily be exchanged for another. Its more about what kind of person you are. I throw myself into a lot of things with great intensity and passion. Doesn't mean I'm addicted to them. So basically, I hate how pop psychology is geared towards removing all blame from us. Its not my fault if I just offended anyone by the way, its a medical affliction I have...:wall:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
I hate how pop psychology is geared towards removing all blame from us.

I'm not lazy - I have chronic fatigue syndrome.
It's not that I have no attention span - I've got ADHD.
It's not that I'm a homicidal maniac - she made me do it by pushing me too far.

Ahem. Scrub that last one...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

But that was the only valid reasoning in there!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
I've got ADHD

Ahhh. ADHD, aka Really ****ing Bad Parenting. I swear, every hyper kid who runs around our bloody shop putting his foot through things and generally acting like a spastic, the mother [not stereotyping; I've honestly only seen mothers do this in my experience] makes no attempt to make the little ****er stop, and just tells us "sorry, he/she's got ADHD". I'm not saying the thing doesn't exist, but apparently every under-10 in Winchester has it. The fathers just tend to smack the kid around the ear. It's amazing how much you can warm to violence against children when the kids are really pissing you off...