The PSP or the NDS?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

The PSP or the NDS?

Post by DrSpengler »

So, which will you be getting first or which will you be getting period?

I'm going to get the Nintendo DS first and wait on the PS2, just like I did with the Gamecube.

They're a company I can trust that has released quality games on both consoles and especially in the handheld market for a long time.

I don't understand the current ill-will towards Nintendo at the moment. It seems the "cool" thing to do is hate them for some reason. They release quality products at affordable prices. What's so evil about that?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm struggling to see the attraction... PS2: backwards compatibility / vast back catalogue, basic DVD player, plenty of new games of most genres. Can still just about handle current programming techiques, and subsequent models will improve upon this. Lots of cheap second-user kit on the market. Some interesting hacks possible if that's your field of interest.

I've never worked out what Nintendo have ever had going for them, but I admit to having skipped the whole console thing as a kid and gone straight for computers. They've also suffered from limited game selection from what I can see, meaning games go on reduced price sale slower because there aren't new titles coming in to replace them.

Sony are also one of the few companies to actually profit off hardware, due to early wise investment in component manufacture, which makes me respect them a little more as a company.
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

don't care, my parents won't let me get any game system (of my own, so i borrow) because before i was born my dad got himself stuck in the nes and couldn't stop playing
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

the nintendo ds is far more interesting to me, with the rumoured price tag the psp will come with (is rumoured to be the price of a brand new console) im far more interested in discovering new gameplay techniques that would come around because of the dual sceen feature.
jepc71
Protoform

Post by jepc71 »

I would go with the Nintendo DS personally. I totaled called the N-Gage flop (which my bro made a lot of money on the stock market be me calling it...I got lobster dinner and a keg). Plus the dual screen idea seems pretty interesting...and supposely you will be able to play with people in the area without needing a wire (hence wireless). It is about time nintendo wakes up and realizes people like thinking games, but also want the ability to go and blow people up :)
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

With comparison between Gamecube and PS2, I don't really even think they are close.

Denyer pretty much covered the reasons - with the PS2, you can still play PS1 games, it supports multiplayer over an internet connection, plays DVDs, etc. etc.

The only real strength of the Gamecube that the PS2 lacks is that it supports 4 controllers, so more people can play together (while the PS2 can get adapters to support 4, most games still don't support that many).

Plus, it sort of irritates me how they made the gamecube cds small, just to make them harder to pirate. CDs that small hold a lot less data than regular size cds.

On the handheld market I love Nintendo, as they have no real good competition - but that might change, with the PSP - although I don't really see the appeal of the dual screens on the NDS, I'm going to wait and see what software is available on which, and compare prices, before I decide what Im going to buy, if any.
He's alive. Go figure.
The Wild One

Post by The Wild One »

I am going for the psp, and then later for the NDS. For me, the dual screens actually is a turn off.
It's time to get wild!!!!!
The Wild One
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Re: The PSP or the NDS?

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I don't understand the current ill-will towards Nintendo at the moment. It seems the "cool" thing to do is hate them for some reason. They release quality products at affordable prices. What's so evil about that?

The Gamecube controller is very unwieldy. That's my #1 gripe with the system. Plus the lack of a DVD player and online capabilities makes the system not worth the money, IMO.
jepc71
Protoform

Re: Re: The PSP or the NDS?

Post by jepc71 »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
The Gamecube controller is very unwieldy.
I like the controller, I find it very usefull...now you just have to wonder if Microsoft will try to get into the handheld game. I bet if the PSP fails, they all most certainly will. Actually if the succeded they probably still will, we all know they have the money.
SoundCrush
Protoform

Post by SoundCrush »

All controllers aside, I have to go with the NDS. And I have a three step plan for why:
1. I already have a PS2 and I can wait for the PS3
2. I already got a bunch of old Gameboy games
3. My sister wants one because that Communist Girl just released a new game about her TV show on Disney on the GBA and it would only make more sense to buy a DS than a SP.
Skill without imagination gives us craftsmanship, which produces many useful objects such as wickwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us Modern Art.
- Tom Stoppard
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

a psp most likley
i dont care much for hand held gaming but the psp looks interesting to me
but i wil hold off judgement till i actually see the machine in real and the games line up for it
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Trollking
Protoform

Post by Trollking »

I'm gonna go with the PSP on this one. Though like bluekatt until I have more info on it I'm gonna wait and see.

Oh and ThePeacemkr2 the mini cds actually hold the same amount of memory as a full size cd.
ThePeacemkr2
Protoform

Post by ThePeacemkr2 »

Originally posted by Trollking
Oh and ThePeacemkr2 the mini cds actually hold the same amount of memory as a full size cd.

Well, then the data is more compressed, so a scratch would be more damaging...

Or they all use DVDs, in which case it probably doesn't hold as much as a full size DVD would, unless it has the high compression...

;)

Granted, I don't own any, but those tiny things must have about 1/3rd the writing space of a normal size CD.
He's alive. Go figure.
Lord Decepticon
Protoform

Post by Lord Decepticon »

I'll be frank, I hate Gamecube. It has a few games I like such as F-Zero, Super Smash Bros. & Metroid Prime. But most of the games are all mario, poke'mon & kiddy bull crap!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Mario is something people of all ages can enjoy, not just children. It's hardly "kiddy bull crap" as you so elequintly phrased it. Pokemon, now that's "kiddy bull crap". Mario? Not so much.

Hating Nintendo is the cool thing to do. Because "All their games are kiddy bull crap! I play GTA 3! I'm a bad ass! I own a PS2! It has more games with blood and f-words! I'm a bad ass! I am cool! Nintendo is for babies because they have Super Mario and he doesn't stab anyone!".

If that's the next generation of gamers then I'm deeply upset.
Lord Decepticon
Protoform

Post by Lord Decepticon »

your sarcasm is not appreciated
jepc71
Protoform

About the discs

Post by jepc71 »

The mini-discs hold about 1.5GB, whereas a regular size disc would hold 4.7GB...but very few games actually use all that avaible size. Basically the only people that do are movie companies...given this will probably change with the next generation consoles where people will program more dvd movies into games. Nintendo for Life!!!
Trollking
Protoform

Re: About the discs

Post by Trollking »

Originally posted by jepc71
The mini-discs hold about 1.5GB, whereas a regular size disc would hold 4.7GB...but very few games actually use all that avaible size. Basically the only people that do are movie companies...given this will probably change with the next generation consoles where people will program more dvd movies into games. Nintendo for Life!!!

We are taking about cds right? Because depending on which ones (by that I'm types rw,recordable etc.) you buy will affect the amount of storage availble. About on average the mini cds can hold equal to and greater depending on the type when compared to the normal cd.
jepc71
Protoform

Re: Re: About the discs

Post by jepc71 »

Originally posted by Trollking
We are taking about cds right?

The sizes are based on the sizes of each respective consoles disc. The nintendo one is a little different because the disc is actually a proprietary disc that was specially designed just for the gamecube...that is why it is hella tough to make copies of the games...not actually sure anyone can yet. Except I have heard of a mod to network your computer to it.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

jepc71 got it right, GC discs hold about 1.5 gigs of data, and while DVDR's and whatnot only hold about 4.7 gigs, most games are under 3 gigs for the Xbox and many, many more PS2 games are CD sized.

I don't understand the console fanboys. There are strengths for each of the systems. PS2 has a huge library and backwards compatibility with another large library of games, but the dvd player function is crap, the hardware's outdated, and online support isn't what it could be.

Xbox has the best graphics, an increasingly good library of games, the best online plan out of the three, and is the most useful system to mod, with the ability to emulate almost every console from the Atari 2600 up to the PS1 and N64. F*cker can even run Linux.

The Nintendo GC does have a lot going for it, despite the detractors. Nintendo makes the best first-party games and with a low price, it's worth it for those titles alone. The discs being smaller doesn't hold a lot of water because it's not as if any of the games for the system don't compare to games on other systems and there's clearly a way the Gamecube handles its files to keep mucho content on there. For example, Freedom Fighters is around 2 gigs on my Xbox and yet it's also available for the GC. No missing content despite the 1.5 gig disc limitation. Maybe there are more compressed textures, but that's kind of a non-issue since the GC isn't as good graphics-wise as the Xbox. The GC does have a terrible online plan, but they have [Spengs, how do you say "dumbasses" in Japanese?] in a completely different market making all the decisions the emasculated Nintendo of America branch should be making.

On the subject at hand, I think the NDS is more appealing due to the technology involved and regardless of what you think of Nintendo, they have always ruled the handheld market and have a tremendous amount of support.