Here's today's mini-rant.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Here's today's mini-rant.

Post by Sir Auros »

It's because I feel like Michael Bolton. No, not that Michael Bolton, the Michael Bolton in Office Space.

For those of you who man not know, my name is Luke, so plenty of times when I'm introduced to people, I hear, "Luke...I am your father!"

That's not f*cking funny, and it sure as hell isn't f*cking original. If I had a goddamn nickel for every time someone's said that to me, I'd easily have over $50. That's a sh*tload of nickels.

I just don't understand how people can think they're being clever by saying something as obvious and as trite as that. I realize people are just trying to break the ice with it too, but f*ck would it feel good to just slug someone sometime and mock their creativity.

Besides, Darth Vader never even f*cking said that line. It was, "No...I...am your father."
Jetfire

Re: Here's today's mini-rant.

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
It's because I feel like Michael Bolton. No, not that Michael Bolton, the Michael Bolton in Office Space.

For those of you who man not know, my name is Luke, so plenty of times when I'm introduced to people, I hear, "Luke...I am your father!"

That's not f*cking funny, and it sure as hell isn't f*cking original. If I had a goddamn nickel for every time someone's said that to me, I'd easily have over $50. That's a sh*tload of nickels.
I'm in the same boat.

As a Daniel, and everybody remembers the 'Karaty kid', all I get is "Ah, Daniel-Son" or "Wax on, wax off" or people standing on 1 leg with heir arms out most times I meet people. I used to love that film.
I just reply in a very dead-pan and nasty way, "Oh, the 800 people or so I've met since that film came out haven't done that AS WELL, because your an original AREN'T YOU!" and they feel a little silly.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I've been wondering two things...

1 - Why is Jesus your avatar instead of your copilot?

2 - Why aren't you on AIM anymore?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Yeah, I have that problem, too.

Most people I've met know me as J.R. (Justin Robert), so every time I meet someone over the age of 25, I wind up hearing 'Hurr, hurr. Who shot J.R.?'.

I usually just try to be polite (usually say something along the lines of 'Heh. Yeah.'), but I can't help but imagine the myriad ways that I'd love to cause them extreme discomfort...
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

Even though my first name is Ian, everyone think's I look like Harry Potter, so most people at work keep calling me Harry. I admit, I like the harry potter books and films, but I don't really like being called Harry. The first few times I was called Harry, I didn't mind, but now it's just annoying:mad:
"No matter the distance"
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I've been wondering two things...

1 - Why is Jesus your avatar instead of your copilot?

2 - Why aren't you on AIM anymore?

1- It's actually 'Ulysses 'from the 80's cartoon 'Ulysses 31'.

2- Haven't been on since I left my first uni in summer 2002. Didn't bother when I did teacher training as I was 10 mins walk from good uni compiters and I've used my Mum's computer since I moved back last summer (Otherwise it would get used once a month for 5 mins-no joke). I guess I never downloaded AIM (for ages I wasn't sure if I was alowed as my mum was given her computer from work and i contact friends via email and Windows Messsenger so I've sorta forgotton about AIM.
King Fargo
Protoform

Post by King Fargo »

My name's Joel. I can never hold a nickname, but somehow, I always keep being called "Joely" by people I know. Sure, it's only once or twice every month or so now, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Also, with the forum alias I use, unless I state my location, I keep being asked "Do you live in Fargo?". No. I've lived in Australia all my life. So, just because noone asked for it, here's the story behind the alias. Was walking out of high school English about 2 years ago. One of the guys in my class was being a jerk and trying (rather unsuccessfully) to insult me. So, as the final try, he tells me "Go back to your Star Trek convention, King Fargo of the Three Moons". It was so dodgily ludicrous that I appropriated it as an alias, to use instead of my previous BossToneS-reference alias "rascalking".
Sig? I don't need no steenkin' sig!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Just be grateful you never went to a Welsh school Jets. There's a stupid, stupid, stupid Welsh religious song about the story of Daniel and the lion's den. I always get that sung at me.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

i hate when people do that to people
at least come up with something original if you are trying to insult someone, and don't say the least original thing that comes to mind whether you are insulting them or not

and for some reason, before i read that it was the michael bolton from office space, i knew who you were talking about (has seen that movie to many times)

eh, what can i say, i just love the part where they kill the copy machine... and where he comes to work with a power screwdriver and *makes* his own window seat
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by homerbot
i hate when people do that to people
at least come up with something original if you are trying to insult someone, and don't say the least original thing that comes to mind whether you are insulting them or not

The thing is, it's not an insult. They just usually don't know what else to say...
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I get the same sh*t with "Marky Mark".

You got it easy. I'd rather be referred to as Luke Skywalker than Marky Mark any day.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Feh. Try going through adolesense being called "geoffrey the giraffe" and having the TRU themesong ("I don't wanna grow up") sung to you everytime you talk. And for christ's sake, my name is spelled J-E-F-F-R-E-Y!!!!!!!!!:wall: :rant:
Also, my last name bears a significant resemblence to the word "candle", albeit the Italian interpretation of one. God knows how many times I have had some kind of cheesy reference to candles when addressed.:mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Kremzeek75
Also, my last name bears a significant resemblence to the word "candle", albeit the Italian interpretation of one. God knows how many times I have had some kind of cheesy reference to candles when addressed.:mad:

Try having the last name 'Sweany'. I'm sure you can imagine what the imaginative little bastards in my elementary school came up with...
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I remember when I was in elementary school there was this foreign kid a grade behind me named "Dorkadish".

Poor guy.:(
KillTheKids
Protoform

Post by KillTheKids »

There was a kid I used to know, and his last name was spelled weird, but pronounced 'Douche'. No joke.
Orion1
Protoform

Post by Orion1 »

Maybe we could round up all the people that have made fun of us, and set Waspinator on them?:D
"No matter the distance"
Bombshell

Re: Here's today's mini-rant.

Post by Bombshell »

Besides, Darth Vader never even f*cking said that line.

He kinda did in the ESB Radio Drama, though.

OK, I realize that might not help.

But anyways, when you consider that people have called me "Wierd Al" dozens of times, and it's never bothered me, it doesn't really sound all that bad.
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

I have to put up with people saying "Sorry, Charlie" pretty often.

Damn, someone told me where that was from originally but I can't remember....
King Fargo
Protoform

Post by King Fargo »

I went to high school with a girl whose surname was "Cocks". I kid you not. However, it was Year 11 and 12, and everyone had got past the stage of demeaning people based on name alone. We'd moved onto demeaning people based on actions and personality.
Sig? I don't need no steenkin' sig!
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

The only half decent insult anyone could turn my name into was Teddy Bear. Embaressing in elementary school, girls pet name for me in college. :D
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers