On hidden tracks in CDs

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Scarrita
Protoform

On hidden tracks in CDs

Post by Scarrita »

OK I recently had to repurchase Mushroomhead's second CD entitled XIII (I don't know why their second album is titled thirteen, it just is) because I had lost it some months back and it is a F*CKING outstanding album so I NEEDED to eventually buy it again.
Now where I work I'm allowed to wear headphones all night long (third shift) so I can listen to music all the way through work, which helps like you wouldn't believe.
So when I started listening to it again I went through the entire CD all the way through to the end, the final track is just an amazing soundscape that brings to mind a perfect childhood in summer sunshine (that is what it sounds like to me anyway) so I finished it all the way through, I never had the patience to do it before, and was completely amazed when I discovered a hidden song after the last one. It was an absolutely AMAZING cover of Seal's "Crazy". Now I've always liked that song, Seal is quite a musician, although I've never owned one of his albums, and Mushroomhead took it, reworked it, and absolutely made it their own... And when I say own I mean OWN! It is one of the most amazing covers I have ever heard. I just wish that I had heard it before when I had owned the album the first time around so I could have heard that song that much sooner. Never has a hidden track eluded me like that before, not that they are hard to find, it's just that it took me by complete surprise when I had first heard it a few nights ago.

Now to make this ramble somewhat justifiable have you ever been surprised by a hidden track on a CD?
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

311's Transistor had the hidden track placed before the first track, which is the coolest way of doing it that I've found. You actually have to rewind the disc after starting the first track to get to it. Too bad it didn't work on a lot of CD players, though. The song was just their instrumental warm-up track they'd play before most live shows, so it wasn't too much of a loss not to hear it. Still, cool place to hide a track...

Will have to find that cover of "Crazy" since I love the original anyway.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

The only one that springs to mind is Ash’s first album which I think was called ‘1977’. There’s a secret track at the end, but there’s also a secret track before the beginning! So you press play on the CD, then rewind to go to a sequence before track 1.

Basically this secret track is the sound of the band sticking their fingers down the backs of their throats and spewing up. Its possibly the most disgusting sound I’ve ever heard because they really go for it. No wussy little coughs, chokes and a bit of sputum, no. Its full-on gushing torrents of sick, over and over. I was reaching just listening to it, and you can hear them watching their friends throw up and laugh insanely at them. Honestly, you can hear when they get it spot on because the microphone is placed at chest level, so the noise shoots from the stomach, up past the throat and splurging out all across the floor.

Every other hidden track I’ve heard has been ten times more pointless. Ash win.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

We're All Burgois Now on the Manics album Know Your Enemy is a class tune. I highly recommend it :)

-Ss
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

The 99th track of Anti-Christ Superstar (Manson), the 98th and 99th tracks of Broken (NIN), at the end of the last track on Astrocreep 2000 (White Zombie), at the end of the last track on The Sinister Urge (Rob Zombie), at the end of the last track on Gorillaz (Gorillaz, duh.)

And it's not really a secret track, but at the very beginning of The Wall and at the very end, there's a bit of speech that when put together is "Isn't this where we came in?"
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Sades

Post by Sades »

Right at the end of Korn's "Take a Look In The Mirror" is an interesting cover of Metallica's "One"... it's different, which is cool.
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

there is always some funny stuff at the end of bare naked ladies cds (the ones i have anyways) though not really songs so much as improv, there is a hidden track on one of the cds that i really want to hear "the ode to beans"
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Auntie Slag
The only one that springs to mind is Ash’s first album which I think was called ‘1977’. There’s a secret track at the end, but there’s also a secret track before the beginning! So you press play on the CD, then rewind to go to a sequence before track 1.
I think it's only on the first pressings... and isn't it "Jack Names The Planets" or something else equally easy to get?

My favourite "hidden" track is probably the last track of "Clear Hearts Grey Flowers" (track 66) by Jack Off Jill... it's a cover, but I forget of which song by which band.

(Apparently it's "Love Song" by the Cure.)
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Denyer

My favourite "hidden" track is probably the last track of "Clear Hearts Grey Flowers" (track 66) by Jack Off Jill... it's a cover, but I forget of which song by which band.

(Apparently it's "Love Song" by the Cure.)

The Cure's "Love Song" done by Jack Off Jill, interesting, very interesting.
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
King Fargo
Protoform

Post by King Fargo »

Jebediah have a "campfire song" called "Big Beer Wall" before Track 1 on their 2nd album, Of Someday Shambles.

Songs about 15 foot tall walls of beer are good.
Sig? I don't need no steenkin' sig!
unicrons servant
Protoform

Post by unicrons servant »

americana by the offsprig had one which was after track 12 about a minuite after first time i heard it, it made me jump
THANX DR EVIL
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

Isn't the most infamous one that at the end of Nevermind...'Endless Nameless' or some-such...Not too great a tune IMO, but m'eh.
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!