Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clay

Re: Covid 19 / everybody PANDEMIC

Post by Clay » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:01 am

Tantrum wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:06 pm
But, I will vote Not Guilty if I'm ever serving jury duty on a case involving a defendant who attacked someone for not wearing a mask.
I'd call it self-defense at this point.
Covid's killed around 150,000 Americans in about half a year... Given current trends, and the large gap between accidents and cancer, covid will be the number 3 killer of Americans this year.
Give the rate of its expansion, I'm not sure if I'd count it out for the top two spots yet, either. I suppose it'll depend on whether we count by calendar year or by anniversary of the first case in Seattle.
Head slob replies, "Maybe if you weren't so clean, you wouldn't live to be so old". He actually defends living short, sickly lives as an equally valid lifestyle choice rather than admit the other tribe has a point.
Because FREEDOM, I'd imagine.
At least I don't work for Rep Gohmert. Politico reported that the Congressman had tested positive for covid, then received an e-mail from Gohmert's office thanking them for letting them know the Congressman had tested positive. That's how they found out they'd possibly been exposed.
I remember reading that he called all his staff in to tell them, in person, that he has a highly contagious and potentially deadly disease. I can't find the link now, but I did skim over this in the process of looking for it:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07 ... o-thin-air

"Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert."

Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Here's the tweet about Gohmert's underling finding about Gohmert's diagnosis via politico. When I first read your statement about Gohmert informing his office, I thought it was refuting what I'd seen. Then, I noticed the bit about informing them in person and realized that's even worse.

The first case in Seattle was January 15, when the guy's flight arrived in Washington state. Calendar year and anniversary year are only 2 weeks different, so I wouldn't worry about it.

According to this, University of Washington is predicting 230k US deaths by November. I don't know if that's the beginning or end of November, or why they didn't go through the rest of the year. Maybe they're wondering about how many deaths by Election Day? If they're going by start of November, that'd be around 80k more in the next 3 months, meaning coronavirus would still be in 3rd place by over 350k with two months to go. That doesn't seem likely.

Dammit, coronavirus. When people say, "Beat cancer", they're not talking to you.

Clay

Post by Clay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 am

I forgot to add before that I haven't had any good cartoon metaphors for people in the pandemic, but I did watch the Avengers (2012) again a few weeks. The comparison I drew was that even though Loki is going around killing people, tearing up helicarriers and whatnot, the Avengers still don't get their act together until Colson dies. Essentially, the disaster unfolding around isn't enough really to get them reacting until someone they know personally actually dies.

I am not trying to make any favorable comparison between plague-chasers and superheroes mind you, but the whole "abstract problem isn't a problem until it affects me personally" thread was more pronounced to me when I watched it recently.

Tantrum

Post by Tantrum » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:10 am

Sades wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 am
Alberta's plan on returning to school is laughable (No classroom size limits, no budget for PPE for teachers, they expect elementary school students to stay masked and stay 2m away from each other on a playground) and so I'll be homeschooling again next year (losing my job turned out to be a good thing I suppose, I would have had to quit anyway). Due to ADDedness, this will probably be terrible. Just terrible. :p It's just grade 2, though, thankfully. Hopefully I don't screw it up too badly.
When is your kid's school supposed to restart? Some schools here have already tried and are failing. Maybe by the time your kid's school is supposed to reopen, there will be enough failures and outbreaks to make Alberta reconsider. Also, would that be your ADDedness or the kid's?

This article starts with a photo of a bunch of kids crowded in a hallway not wearing masks. The superintendent is quoted as saying, "there is no practical way to enforce a mandate to wear [masks]". Bullshirt. Every non-college school I ever went to had a no hats inside policy. If you wore a hat, you either took it off or got in trouble. If you can make kids take off hats, you can make them put on masks. Make it part of the dress code.

Another thing I'm wondering, is if it would help to have the teachers move from classroom to classroom instead of the students. In my high school, each teacher basically had their own classroom, and the rooms were organized by subject. English classes in one wing, math classes off the main hallway, foreign languages downstairs, etc.

This maximized student traffic in the halls, since every student had to walk from one part of the building to another between every class. Maybe multiple parts depending on locker placement. Instead, just have the kids stay in the same classroom all day, while the different teachers move around.

This wouldn't work 100% due to student having differing curricula, so some students would have to move occasionally. But, it'd still reduce hallway traffic from thousands of students to dozens of teachers and students. Plus, the teachers would be more likely to follow the mask mandate in the halls.

Denyer
Custom Title: Shooty Dog Thing

Post by Denyer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:44 am

It's the approach any organisations with an iota of sense will be following.

Decent plain English article on immune response a friend just linked --

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ry/614956/

Tantrum

Post by Tantrum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 am

Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, and New Jersey are requiring people coming from Rhode Island to quarantine for 14 days upon entry, due to our increasing covid numbers. Mass's restriction goes into effect tomorrow, so this afternoon, I took my last shopping trip into Mass for what may be a while.

I hit 3 Targets, a Walmart, 3 comic shops, and a couple other stores. I got Wildwheel and Rick & Morty volume 10 (I only had 1 through 8, and will have to check local stores for volume 9). I was hoping to find SS Overload at the same comic shop I bought Scavenger at months ago, but no luck. I did see Scavenger at 2 of the Targets, so at least they're carrying Leaders.

I also saw near total compliance with the mask requirement. There was one lady outside a store with her mask down, who was definitely more than 6 feet from the door, but still close enough to make entering and exiting without violating social distancing awkward.

In theory, I could pass through Mass to New Hampshire, where my parents live, and back. But, work requires staying away for 14 days if I travel more than 60 miles, so that's out. I could go to mainland Rhode Island, but that's where the high covid numbers are coming from. So, I'm back to staying very local for the time being.

Sades

Post by Sades » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 am

Tantrum wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:10 am

When is your kid's school supposed to restart? Some schools here have already tried and are failing. Maybe by the time your kid's school is supposed to reopen, there will be enough failures and outbreaks to make Alberta reconsider. Also, would that be your ADDedness or the kid's?
Early september. I don't know, as far as I know it's going ahead as normal. Masks are supposed to be mandatory but I can't see a bunch of grade schoolers keeping them on and staying away from each other. Some classes have 30 students in them, and classrooms aren't very big. It's going to be a massive shitshow and I'm just glad we can opt out of it.

The ADDedness is on my part. We're pretty sure I have ADD or ADHD (ADHD sorry, apparently ADD is an outdated term). I'm still waiting for a good time to get an official diagnosis so I can find someone who can help me with some stuff, though it's likely what can be done for me is limited as I'm already an adult. But it can't hurt to check.

Staggering days different classes attended school would probably also help, to a degree. Or doing core subjects on half days and other classes as home assignments. IMO.

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 am

So, after going two whole weeks without reporting any COVID cases, things have started to go to shit here. It's not bad yet, but case counts are starting to go up sharply and I can see it getting a lot worse because no one here takes it seriously. Most of the new cases are due to fresh COVID cases traveling in from out of province. Which is what happens when you remove the 14-day isolation requirement on people traveling into the province from places with far more cases than we have, I suppose.

The government has also decided not to tell us any useful info about where the cases are, how they were contracted, etc. The rumour is that most of the recent cases are on Hutterite colonies, spread after a bunch of people went to Alberta for a funeral and didn't isolate after returning. Is it true? Who the **** knows? The government won't tell us and just mumble about racism when the media presses them on it. Because how dare people want to know if the spread of COVID is contained to a few isolated rural communities or spread amongst the whole province, I guess?

Like, I understand that privacy issues are a big deal, but my neighbour three doors down was hospitalized with COVID and no one in the area knew until he recovered and told us. Aren't they supposed to be contact-tracing and getting in touch with people who've been exposed to known cases so that we know to get tested?
Sades wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 am
Staggering days different classes attended school would probably also help, to a degree. Or doing core subjects on half days and other classes as home assignments. IMO.
My son is supposed to be starting kindergarten in a month. I'm already worried like hell about whether he's going to make friends, whether he's going to listen to the teachers, whether the school staff are going to try to get us to cram pills down his throat because he's super-energetic, etc., etc. Normal parent stuff, I know. Having to worry about COVID on top of all that...it's just surreal. The world sucks and kids shouldn't have to grow up knowing what "pandemic" means. :(