General IDW *NON-SPOILER* discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DestronPrime
Protoform

Post by DestronPrime »

Alright, well I think I'll get them all seperately, in the end, since I'm actually not paying too much more, and I don't like reading a book that I can't actually hold. Heh. Also I've read a bunch of the previews, and I like it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

DestronPrime wrote:I don't like reading a book that I can't actually hold. Heh.
Yeah, some people just aren't keen on huge books, like portable stuff, etc.

Escalation's between print runs at the moment, but it looks as if Amazon.ca marketplace has some for reasonable prices. Actually, get all four (or most) from Amazon directly and it should be cheaper than the hardback if my math's okay.
Purple-is-Evil
Protoform

Post by Purple-is-Evil »

thebatwoman616 wrote:why are female tf's so few and seem to be disliked by male tf's, i always loved arcee and the other few girls that were in the g1 cartoon

Arcee has her own spotlight coming up doesn't she? I liked her... I even like the new bike toy she has out..

That said I really like what IDW is doing. Sometimes the writting is a bit confusing, and for someone just starting out finding the order can be a little off.

Did anyone else think of Hearts of Steel, whose plot I found lacking but designs HOT, kind of like the Marvel "What if" series?

About the IDW comics though, I had read spotlight I, then Hearts of Steel, then Megatron Orgins (dear lord when I saw they were coming out with that I thought my eyes would fly out of my head). I had no idea they were parts of the new IDW universe, namely Escalation and what not. That said I still enjoyed the spotlights a lot.

So far there are a few plot holes and continuity issues...

I think its nice that they are restarting the series, the artwork is just wow over all. I spend hours just looking at that a lot of the time.:D

Hmm I haven't picked up Strombringer yet, is that a good read?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Arcee hit stores in February. :)

Hearts of Steel I found entertaining enough fluff, and wasn't let down by the wrap-up. Not really a big fan of alt-universe stuff of any description. Stormbringer fits well with Infiltration, showing the broader scope of the war.

The publishing order and lack of official guidance for how things fit together has been brought up more than a few times -- I think IDW wants to give the impression it can be read in any order, which is at odds with how most comics geeks actually approach a title. We like structure and knowing where things fit in. The upcoming "All Hail Megatron" storyline is aimed at being a jumping on point.
Blackjack

Speculation: Of Megatron and Galvatron, Rodimus and Goldbug

Post by Blackjack »

Okay... Here's a little speculation.

Megatron and Galvatron are now different characteres, and I'm thrilled by it, instead of the normally reincarnation stock storylines.

Here's a thought... Will Bumblebee and Goldbug be the same characters? Howabout Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime? or Optimus Prime and Powermaster Prime?

Post your thoughts here...
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Scooby & the gang will all turn up in Clay's Mystery Machine and reveal that everyone (yes, absolutely everyone) is in fact that nice old caretaker, Mr. Feeny, wearing a mask.

Curses! He would have got away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids!
Wreck and Rule!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd be very surprised if we saw any of those others, TBH. The difference is Megatron and Galvatron have always been shown to be largely separate characters anyway - beyond Galvatron having Megatron's memories, and a few design simularities, there's not much to actually connect them without the stories.

The others are less distinct - Goldbug is simply Bumblebee in a new body, and the name-change is pretty arbitrary (I mean, I'm not even sure why Hasbro actually bothered)... he arguably gets a bit more confidence from having a face that looks like a radiator, but beyond that...

Physical attributes aside, PM Prime is also just Prime upgraded. I don't think Furman's fan-wanky enough to include God Ginrai either - while he is all about recycling ideas, they tend to be his own ones from the 1980s (or Bob Budiansky's that he nicked in the 1980s). Segue - who else breathed a huge sigh of relief when Nemesis Prime was shown to not be some sort of Black Optimus?

Rodimus is basically just Hot Rod grown up too - again, little grounds for a distinct personality. I don't think they'll use him at all, TBH, unless Furmn does some crazy "the whole story's been a flashback from the future" thing, and if they did they'd use the Hot Rod link for narrative purposes. Also, in character model form, Rodimus has always looked too close to Hot Rod for it to be pulled off without being confusing.
Starfield
Protoform

Goldbug

Post by Starfield »

Interesting thought about Goldbug. I think it would be more likely if the Throttlebots were being used as some sort of special team. Goldbug could just show up as part of the team. But there hasn't been much special teamy stuff so far and I kind of like it that way.

If you think about it in terms of altmode, however, Goldbug is another yellow Beetle. E. J. Su already redesigned Bumblebee, he would have to come up with some way to make another yellow Beetle distinctive (maybe make him shiny gold colored) or just give him a Cybertronian altmode.

Oh, one more thing, Bumblebee doesn't have the insecrue youngster personality this time, so there would be little point to a more mature upgrade, which would make the Goldbug concept pretty useless unless it was a separate character, meaning Goldbug is free to be used. I think it would be cool if they used him.

Edit: Give Goldbug Bumblebee's G1 cartoon Cybertronian mode. That would be sweet! Edit 2: And make a toy! :D
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Makes sense, Cliffjumper...:)
Blackjack

Speculation: Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's twin relationship

Post by Blackjack »

Yet another speculation from me...

I am wondering. Ever since Transformers first come out, Sunstreaker and Sideswipe is ALWAYS been twin brothers, although never explained why. (Other than a short 'spark-splitting' explanation in MTMTE or Ultimate Guide... I forgot which)

Now in IDW, ol' Sunny is a Headmaster. Sideswipe will have a Revelations spotlight soon, and I am wondering.

The way to explain the twin relationship of them? Make Sideswipe a headmaster. Who is the partner? Hunter's twin brother, of course.

That way, Simon Furman can easily explain the brotherly relationship between them. Just a thought.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Hunter has a twin brother? And why must Sunstreaker and Sideswipe be brothers in this continuity? Simply because it's always been that way for G1 Swipe and Sunny doesn't mean it has to continue. A close connection is fine like really good best friends but I don't see why they have to be brothers.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

:)Just a speculation of what Furman might do if he wants to make them brothers.

And no, Hunter doesn't have a twin brother. At least until Furman introduced him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've never seen the 'brotherly' bond as anything more than being constructed at the same time (or roughly at the same time) and then fighting and sharing other experiences together in the face of adversity. The Wreckers could be described as a fraternity, but I don't think any of the relationships need to be direct analogues of the familial and other groupings/links flesh creatures have. In this case, it's easy to take it as non-figurative language for the IDWverse.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Well, they are lifeforms, which means it was done via robosex... *Gets shot*

Seriously, yeah, I've always used the "whoever created them is their parent" thing in my fanfictions, but I dunno what Furman'd do.
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Civ

Post by Civ »

Damolisher wrote:I dunno what Furman'd do.
Maybe another experiment done by Jhiaxus? Sorta like what he did to Arcee.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

That too is a good idea.
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Damolisher wrote:Well, they are lifeforms, which means it was done via robosex... *Gets shot*
Old, very old.

For what it's worth, Hail and Farewell only mentions Hunter having a sister.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

This sounds a lot like Starscream's twin Sunstorm.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The notion of Sideswipe and Sunstreaker as brothers predates Sunstorm by a looooong way.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

SPOILER! (select to read)
I suppose if they wanted, that whole Magnificence thing could be used to give Hot Rod the "pimping out" into Rodimus without having to involve the Matrix. Could be interesting if he starts running around, calling himself Prime for no good reason, being drunk on power.
But then I remember I'm an idiot...