OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Tantrum wrote:I thought I saw little wheels near Scavengers ankles in the pics Denyer linked to. But, I didn't see more in his upper legs, or any in Bonecrusher. I was hoping these guys would be like most tank bots, and be able to roll in vehicle mode. It also looks like Hook's crane can't swivel and Mixmaster's drum doesn't turn.
Shit, seriously? That's nearly as egregious as Scrapper's non-elbows at that size.
Tantrum wrote:I'm not too bothered by the simplicity. I don't want to spend half an hour going from combined mode to individuals because I've goy to do 6 intricate transformations. The CW limbs I've got so far (Alpha Bravo, Skydive, and Dragstrip) are simple, quick, and fun.
They're simple, sure. But they're simple in a good way. The transformations aren't complex but they're fully-articulated and they can pull off all four modes with reasonable success. The Constructicons are even simpler in spite of being bigger and only needing to pull off three configurations instead of four. Looking at, say, Scavenger or Mixmaster, I can't honestly say they'd be any fun on their own. Whereas Fireflight is fantastic in his own right and I'm perfectly happy even though I don't have anyone to combine him with.
Sades wrote:The way I see it, it's aimed at people who want something impressive that's not a recolour but who can't afford/justify the purchase of a 3rd party notDevastator.
I guess? I just have a hard time divorcing value-for-money from the equation. I mean, if a terrible Devastator is worth $150 (actually, $180 for us), then surely an actually good Devastator would be worth more than that? I'm not a huge fan of the third-party Devastators either since they didn't even try to make the individual robots look like the Constructicons, but I'd certainly pay out for one of them way before I spent any money on the official one even though they cost double.

I guess if I really really wanted something and couldn't afford to spend over $180 I might consider it, but I'd have a really hard time convincing myself I didn't just get ripped off. I mean, shit, I could buy the other four Aerialbots I haven't got yet and all the Protectobots for not much more than that. I'd have a heck of a lot more fun with them, too.
Sades wrote:And possibly kids who see if in the store and go "that thing is huge, I want it!"
Actually, this brings up something that I've wondered about for a while. Over the past few years I've noticed that Hasbro's big-ticket items (MPs, Platinum releases, Metroplex) come in closed boxes that you can't actually see the toy in. And going by the convention pics it seems like Devastator will be the same. I wonder if that makes a difference to kids, not being able to see the actual toy when you're browsing the aisles.
Knightdramon wrote:On the issue of the pricing of the new Devastator, I'm kind of saddened over how lenient a lot of fans have become.
Thank you! I was beginning to feel like a lone crazy. :)
Denyer wrote:Or to put it another way, leaving aside 3P comparisons they're reasonably articulated large versions of the originals for roughly the same cost as an Encore reissue set (and for the price of five individual figures of that size, assuming voyagers are twenty quid now and that $150 ~ £100).
It seems like "six Voyagers" is their target price for this set (both in US and Canada, the price works out to be exactly that), so it'll probably work out to more like £120 if a Voyager is £20 there now.
Clay wrote:Hmm. I think he may be conflating "simple" with "cheap". I like the simple design: big, blocky, uncomplicated, quick to transform, etc. I don't like the cheapness of it: hollow parts, inarticulate robots, the general sense of visible cost-cutting, etc.
Simple is okay -- the Aerialbots are simple but still cool. If the Constructicons were made to the same standards as Silverbolt or Alpha Bravo, I'd be sad because I don't have any room for the set. But they're closer to those upscaled Prime Cyberverse guys that came out a year or two ago.
Sades wrote:I think an argument could be made that it's not so much leniency as it is becoming more realistic in terms of what can be expected out of a big corporation, but I'm just a silly girl/don't really give a shit. Well, I might care a little, else I wouldn't be here. Not enough to expand on the thought, though.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I don't like seeing a box set of six Voyager sized-toys, sold for the price of six Voyager-class toys, be so lacking in terms of design complexity and finish. I don't expect a Masterpiece-quality figure for that price, certainly, but my standards are certainly higher than this.

I mean, I get that economies of scale are a thing, and a Titan is going to get a smaller production run than a Voyager. The costs of designing and making the molds will eat into their margins, since they're selling further units. And the mass of the thing in combined mode means that you can't just toss in ball joints everywhere and expect him to still be able to stand, so proper joints will raise the cost a bit too. But if those factors mean that your final product winds up being this shoddy, then it never should have made it off the drawing board. Do something else instead, something that you can do properly without blowing the budget. Maybe make a Devastator at the same scale as the other CW toys instead (with the added bonus of making the individual Constructicons compatible with the other figures) and fill the "big Christmas toy" slot with a giant $100+ Omega Supreme for him to fight (who, if Metroplex is any indication, would turn out much better than Devastator did).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I wonder why they felt the need to make Devastator so huge. I'd have been happy with six Deluxe sized herberts. And I think you're right - Hasbro have missed a trick by not making them compatible with the other CW toys.

And I don't think its unreasonable to expect some kind of wow factor for $149 (and in the UK I suspect we'll be looking at £150 - £180 for this given that the price for Voyagers is hovering close to £30 these days). It's a lot of money to spend on a toy and I expect something that looks better than those cheap as chips Poundshop knock offs.

I was watching this again last night:

http://youtu.be/Hzn44jgOTYA

and it made me sad how close to official product bootlegs are now :(
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Hrrrn, the more I look at Rook the less I like him. The concept of new team members is great, I'm all up for that. That figure, though, doesn't work for me. Too bulky, iffy colours, and weird "hand" holes. In the absence of Ambulon (who would've been perfect), I'll probably pass on Rook and grab one of the "Masquerade" 'bots to be Defensor's leg. I'm hoping Prowl or Ironhide will prove possible to modify into a new character in a police or search and rescue vein.

On the subject of the "Masquerade" team, I think I have a fairly good idea of the mould choices.

Mirage = Drag Strip
Prowl = Streetwise (the light bar mod being for the Dead End mould swings it away from the Lambo)
Sunstreaker = Breakdown
Ironhide = First Aid

Hopefully all with new heads, of course. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Wreck and Rule!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

On the subject of Devastator's price, it's probably worth noting that big-ticket toy items like that are priced partially with large holiday sales in mind. I'd say all of six people paid full price for Metroplex, and once October hit I didn't see the giant AoE Grimlock for more than $50-60. Devastator may.'cost' $150, but it'll probably hover around $100.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I have no issue with simple efficient well engineered Transformers. In fact I hate overcomplication. The Prime figures totally nailed the perfect balance for me. Combiner Wars Devastator, though, is oversimplified and a terrible disappointment. Plus it's way overpriced. And I know I've asked a few times now, but seriously what is with the total disaster that is Mixmaster? His G1 design is so simple surely it would fit in with this madness? Instead he looks terrible in every mode.

Anyway. Enough repeating myself.

I look forward to a third party Devastator with G1-esque individual robot modes.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Another thing bugging me about Devestator is the wheels being just plastic mounted to plastic instead of pins. The pinless TFs I have (including Dragstrip) don't seem to roll as well.

CW Devestator seems like a rough draft/proof-of-concept design, just to see if a Devestator made of 6 G1-styled Voyagers would work, that Hasbro decided to release as a product. It's a shame they didn't spend some time refining them, because they look pretty good. It really is just a matter of adding details like wheels and joints, not major reengineering.

Looking at the pics Denyer linked to at the top of page 8, Long Haul is noticably taller than the others, and twice as wide. He might be nearer to Leader size than Voyager, which makes the 6 Voyager price tag look a little better. Still, I'd rather pay 5 Voyagers and a Leader if the extra went into addressing the concerns we've raised over the past couple pages.

I like the idea of Deluxes compatible with the other combiners ever better. Maybe they'll do that with the Predacons. All the gestalts pretty much have Predaking's feet, anyway.

The reliance on mold reuse might hinder making the beast combiners, since their bots were pretty unique. 3P showed you can rework Tantrum into Headstrong. Replacing Divebomb's wing pack with smaller, attached wings might make a passable Cutthroat. Rippersnapper could become Overbite, maybe Skalor. Replacing Nautilator's lobster claws with stumpy legs might get you close to Tentakill.

The Seacons' original gimmick of anyone forming the weapon probably wouldn't work. Skydive can't even hold Powerglide. I doubt any elbow joint could support a Deluxe size weapon.

R&R - I'd assume the Masquerade repaints would be based on that episode: Jazz for Dead End, Sideswipe for Breakdown, and Mirage for Dragstrip. Wildrider's out, which would explain Windcharger being the Legends toy.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:
I guess? I just have a hard time divorcing value-for-money from the equation. I mean, if a terrible Devastator is worth $150 (actually, $180 for us), then surely an actually good Devastator would be worth more than that? I'm not a huge fan of the third-party Devastators either since they didn't even try to make the individual robots look like the Constructicons, but I'd certainly pay out for one of them way before I spent any money on the official one even though they cost double.
Yeah, value is relative. I think that there is zero things wrong with your POV. From mine, well, if it doesn't feel like a cheap piece of shit/isn't massively hollow in places it shouldn't be, I can overlook the arms. And it'll be worth it to me, because it will make my husband happy/hooray new shiny, BIG shiny, moar fiddle time/$400ish bucks is more than I can mentally justify shelling out for a toy.

(Heh, Compromise Devastator. "At least it's not $400ish bucks!" "Possibly the next best thing to 3rd party!")

It'll go down in price, too, after release (as tahukanuva mentioned). So it doesn't necessarily have to be $180ish bucks.

I mean, I get that economies of scale are a thing, and a Titan is going to get a smaller production run than a Voyager. The costs of designing and making the molds will eat into their margins, since they're selling further units. And the mass of the thing in combined mode means that you can't just toss in ball joints everywhere and expect him to still be able to stand, so proper joints will raise the cost a bit too. But if those factors mean that your final product winds up being this shoddy, then it never should have made it off the drawing board. Do something else instead, something that you can do properly without blowing the budget. Maybe make a Devastator at the same scale as the other CW toys instead (with the added bonus of making the individual Constructicons compatible with the other figures) and fill the "big Christmas toy" slot with a giant $100+ Omega Supreme for him to fight (who, if Metroplex is any indication, would turn out much better than Devastator did).
:up:

I like this (esp. CW compatible Constructicons). Possibly the line of thought on Hasbro's end was more along the lines of "well, there's two big 3rd party figures of this figure and they're stupid expensive, let's make a cheaper one" and they proceeded to make it as cheaply as possible to give themselves a good, wide profit margin. Because money. :/ Least, that's what I imagine.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Clay

Post by Clay »

The wiki site has posted their own rundown of the toyfair, and it's remarkably sensible.
Titan Devastator was a collaboration between designers John Warden and TakaraTomy's Shogo Hasui, who was driven by an almost-religious fervor to see that Devastator reached perfection (and reportedly got very little sleep in the process).
<sigh> Missed it by *that* much...
zigzagger

And MP-25 is....

Post by zigzagger »

Tracks!

In prototype stage, mind, but not too shabby, not too shabby at all. The Stingray alt mode is looking quite sexy as well. And I here I thought Takara was going to stick with using the '84 cars for base molds :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

He's looking a little... uh... "slender", there. Not bad, but seems oddly thin to me.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Expected, and I'm super excited for him.

Tracks, Sideswipe and Jazz were the three most sought after autobot cars when I was a kid, and it looks like we're 2 out of 3 ready in that regards.

It does look a tad lanky, but it's probably the angle and the fact that his waist is turned.

So I'm guessing the rumours are true for Ironhide later on. According to the rumours, Tracks is supposed to come with a Raoul mini fig and a little Blaster tape deck.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Agreed with Sades...Tracks definitely came out a good bit skinnier than his original toy or character model would suggest. I like it, though! Cartoon Tracks probably had the most boring look of all the Autobot cars, and the original toy was really forgettable too compared to the likes of Prowl or Skids or Sideswipe.

I'm a bit surprised by this myself, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Tracks might not be the most popular of the remaining Autobot cars, but GM is easy to work with and the Corvette is probably the most iconic American car ever. Kinda makes me wonder if Windcharger is in the near future, since the Trans Am is pretty high on that list as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hopefully they might get a black repaint out of it.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Tracks looks better than I would have expected. As noted, a bit thin, but that's probably due to the seemingly accurate alt-mode. As always, more pics shall be good.

Though I have to say I'm a little disappointed the various MP Megatron V2 rumors didn't pan out. Oh well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Like him. Yeh, would have preferred a fraction more mass around the hips, though that might come out when painted (the lower torso is either a bit of a fudge or not snapped together quite right).

Was never crazy about the toy or the character model but that's done a decent job of combining both to come out with something quite servicable. First impressions are he's a lot more anime-styled than the other MPs thus far, which to me isn't a bad thing. Better than a blue Wheeljack with his trousers on backwards at any rate.

I'd be lying if I said Tracks was anywhere near the top of my "next MP wanted" list but I'll go with it.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Cliffjumper wrote: First impressions are he's a lot more anime-styled than the other MPs thus far, which to me isn't a bad thing.
That's what came to mind, what with the lithe, slightly exaggerated features one may see in a mecha series.
I'd be lying if I said Tracks was anywhere near the top of my "next MP wanted" list but I'll go with it.
Yeah, as far as the '85ers go, I would've liked to have seen Skids first. Though personally, I'm more curious to see what Takara can do with the likes of Hound, Ratchet, or Trailbreaker.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh - Skids' original toy is actually quite well proportioned (as are the Datsun and the Lambo) and I can kind-of 'see' the Masterpiece, it's just a matter of articulating, smoothing and detailing, especially as the animation model kept most of the stuff hanging off the back of him. Some of the weirder ones I'm more curious on, especially the ones who were radically changed for the cartoon - though with high optimism after Wheeljack turned out so well.

Tracks could be a smart commercial move, mind - the sort of figure people might skip if they put him out towards the end, more likely to shift while the hype and anticipation is high. Plus there are at least two good repaint options (red and black).

A new Megatron would be nice but I can see why Takara are a little reluctant; the character just doesn't have the commercial draw Prime does, if they keep the gun (which they surely will for MP) the engineering's a nightmare and the repaint possibilites are limited.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:I'm a bit surprised by this myself, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Tracks might not be the most popular of the remaining Autobot cars, but GM is easy to work with and the Corvette is probably the most iconic American car ever.
Keep in mind also that they didn't have any problems licensing the Corvette for Binaltech Tracks, ROTF Sideswipe, or AOE Crosshairs. Given that, Tracks was probably the most likely of the cars to have official blessing.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cliffjumper wrote: A new Megatron would be nice but I can see why Takara are a little reluctant; the character just doesn't have the commercial draw Prime does, if they keep the gun (which they surely will for MP) the engineering's a nightmare and the repaint possibilites are limited.
Well to be honest, what repaints have we gotten out of MP-10 so far? They skipped the obvious Ultra Magnus repaint, the YotD repaint was by Hasbro, and the only other one I can think off the top of my head is the weird Evangelion exclusive.

I would imagine the best repaint oppoturnity for Megatron would be the black Microman version.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Tetsuro wrote:Well to be honest, what repaints have we gotten out of MP-10 so far? They skipped the obvious Ultra Magnus repaint, the YotD repaint was by Hasbro, and the only other one I can think off the top of my head is the weird Evangelion exclusive.

I would imagine the best repaint oppoturnity for Megatron would be the black Microman version.
You're skipping a few.

MP10
Hasbro MP10
Takara MP10 Black
Takara MP10A [that green bape repaint]
Hasbro YOTH
Takara Evangelion

That's plenty of uses out of an already expensive mould. Furthermore, MP10 is being reissued plenty of times throughout, whether it's hasbro or takara or hasbro asia.

I don't think Megatron is that marketable, as it will effectively cut out his Hasbro counterpart.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.