Remembering that our old toys actually exist!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not so much my old toys, but was reminded that RID Bludgeon existed and picked one up... cut the hose off so that the bellows are an independent accessory. Lots of charm but the reviews aren't kidding, it's floppy as hell. Will be getting the floor varnish out for this and other tasks at some point. Might take a pic or two if I can find G2 Laser Prime to go with him and the sizes hold up to forced perspective averaging...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Got Revenge of the Fallen Human Alliance Skids and Mudflap out last night. Man, they are such well designed figures! And remarkably they have far more straightforward transformations than their more fiddly Deluxe counterparts. I really like Mudflap in particular, but he's a bit trickier to transform than Skids, despite sharing a largely similar scheme. I always worry about breaking those little panels on his chest which flare out, but thankfully they remain intact. Thanks for these guys Clay - still loving them and they're now out on display with Buster Prime.

While in the movie boxes hunting for Skids and Mudflap I came across DOTM Deluxe Soundwave and AoE Takara Lockdown. Decided to take them to work to fiddle with while doing reporting. They are at least both easy to transform. They are also both midgets - particularly Lockdown who is even shorter than teeny Soundwave... Lockdown remains a terrible disappointment - his robot mode is pants but could have been so much better with just a few easy tweaks. Soundwave has grown on me over the years. His robot mode is fairly generic (it does not match the CGI model proportions closely at all, especially when compared to the awesome Human Alliance version), but the transformation is just such good fun and so very satisfying. And I love the way the wheels end up on his shoulders / behind his head.

So a mixed bag of movie toy reminiscence. Human Alliance Skids and Mudflap are top end figures, whereas DOTM Deluxe Soundwave is good fun without being a great likeness of his movie design, and AoE Takara Deluxe Lockdown is just crap (but at least Takara gave him a semi-decent paint job, although I still do not understand why his car mode is s*%t brown in both Hasbro and Takara releases?!?! Normally HasTak love grey plastic, at least for characters that should be silver - guess when they should be grey, they go for brown...).

Poor Lockdown - such an awesome character, such a terrible toy.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

While putting Soundwave and Lockdown away I couldn't resist taking DOTM Leader Ironhide out. I can't see why people complained he was too small compared to ROTF Leaders - he's the same size as Buster Prime.

I remain amazed that the largest version of movie Ironhide has the simplest transformation while the Deluxe one has the most complex...

His transformation is quick and satisfying. He lacks a bit in articulation, and his kibble could be better dealt with by making just a few more hinges, but man he remains inordinately great fun.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:Thanks for these guys Clay - still loving them and they're now out on display with Buster Prime.
Ah, I was just thinking about these a few days ago and wondering if you had gotten bored of them yet and were ready to trade them back. Good to know their appeal hasn't diminished! :)
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:Ah, I was just thinking about these a few days ago and wondering if you had gotten bored of them yet and were ready to trade them back. Good to know their appeal hasn't diminished! :)
Afraid they're still among my favourites.

:)

They're keeping Buster Prime company now.

Also items on eBay.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I always wanted that DOTM Leader Ironhide, but the handful of times I saw him I was broke.

Glad to hear it is still a worthy toy.
Come on and wind me up.
numbat

Post by numbat »

another tf fan wrote:I always wanted that DOTM Leader Ironhide, but the handful of times I saw him I was broke.

Depends what you're after. For a Leader Class figure he is very simple, and cheats more than he needs to at the scale (and the kibble could very easily have been designed to fold away better with just a couple more hinges, or by placing hinges in more sensible places). However, that also makes him quick and fun to transform, so I can't help picking him up and playing with him. Downside is you only have so much room to display large figures, and I must say Masterpiece and Third Party figures tend to get that space in my study...

I'd recommend picking him up if you find him at a reasonable price, but he's not worth a markup.

He is my favourite movie Ironhide toy: although the Deluxe version does the best job of all he is a total bugger to transform.

(As an aside, I find the AoE Generations Leader Class Prime mould very fun too, despite it's glaring kibble issues. There's a balance between playability and displayability...)

Also items on eBay.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I like the Leader AoE Optimus too. I like the touches of vac-metal and the clean truck mode.
Come on and wind me up.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Yeah - I was impressed by the Takara version, which was very spiffy for a mainstream release paint-wise. Thanks to Knightdramon I later got hold of the Takara Ultimate version, which is even more amazing in terms of paint and sculpt. You can also 'transform' his face so he has a faceplate or mouth. In fact, the paint job on the Ultimate version is better than the paint job on the exhaulted ROTF Buster Primes, although lacks flame pinstriping.

Anyhoo - a great fun mould, even if kibble hangs off all over the shop in robot mode.

Also items on eBay.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

another tf fan wrote:I always wanted that DOTM Leader Ironhide, but the handful of times I saw him I was broke.

I've got mine on top of a bookcase. He's got Human Alliance Whirl as a pistol and Human Alliance Backfire as a shoulder cannon. Those basics do actually make for pretty good weapons for Leader class figures.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Briefly fiddled around with THS 02 Convoy today before sending it off to numbat. I'm still not keen on the thing, but before today I simply remembered it as 'bad' and little else. I had forgotten how much the figure does right, though. The detail in the trailer, the spring loaded ramp, Roller's wheels geared together so that they turn, the detail in the sculpt, etc. It has a lot going for it. I just don't understand how the truck got so little attention as to be as hideous as it is. Basically, I find it baffling that so much thought went it other aspects of the figure to have so little go into what should be the fundamental draw of the toy - transforming between two modes that look good.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

True, but in robot mode he's basically scout leader Prime with the backpack... it's not something to encourage, but I can live with a few things in the collection I'd never even think of transforming.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:Briefly fiddled around with THS 02 Convoy today before sending it off to numbat. I'm still not keen on the thing, but before today I simply remembered it as 'bad' and little else. I had forgotten how much the figure does right, though. The detail in the trailer, the spring loaded ramp, Roller's wheels geared together so that they turn, the detail in the sculpt, etc. It has a lot going for it. I just don't understand how the truck got so little attention as to be as hideous as it is. Basically, I find it baffling that so much thought went it other aspects of the figure to have so little go into what should be the fundamental draw of the toy - transforming between two modes that look good.
Thanks for the encouragement!

:swirly:
Denyer wrote:True, but in robot mode he's basically scout leader Prime with the backpack... it's not something to encourage, but I can live with a few things in the collection I'd never even think of transforming.
If by 'scout leader' you mean outdoorsy, maybe this will work...

I am interested to see how this figure works out in person - not expecting much from the truck mode anyway.

:)

After a fairly bad end to the holidays I dug out both Prime First Edition Vehicon and RID Vehicon.

I often go to RID Vehicon, as I do love the design, but thought I'd revisit First Edition Vehicon for a Steve moment, and because others do really back the guy so I wanted to check if I was missing something.

Honestly, both are really cool figures, but the clever simplicity of RID Vehicon makes him easy to pick up and play with, while also delivering a more streamlined robot mode. It's a total win-win for me. So much-so I have decided to casually search for Arms Micron Jet Vehicon and Jet Vehicon General.

First Edition Vehicon is fun, but the transformation is very complex especially given the robot mode is fairly cluttered with kibble...

Photos on my Twitter account if you are interested in comparisons (First Edition right, RID left):

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 6813160449

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

On a whim, I got MP-5 Megatron out for the first time in years yesterday. (Still for sale if someone is interested, but I'm wavering...)

The orange plug Epic Heroes saw fit to add to the figure without consultation immediately irked me, as it always did. This time I decided I could abide it no longer, and set to work removing it. I'm pleased to say the operation was a resounding success and Megatron is now unplugged.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 0548649985

Next on to solve his cosmic rust problem (100% isopropanol may do the trick I think).

He's now a Masterpiece oddity really. The compromises are many, and following a more complicated version of the G1 transformation doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. It's a fairly incredible feat of engineering, but doesn't quite deliver in robot mode. Add to that giant cannon the hip and elbow joints plus tiny pegs which hold the waist together can't quite handle, and he's a bit irritating.

Takara really need to release a new version of Masterpiece Megatron. Honestly, what is taking them so long?

Also items on eBay.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

numbat wrote: He's now a Masterpiece oddity really. The compromises are many, and following a more complicated version of the G1 transformation doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. It's a fairly incredible feat of engineering, but doesn't quite deliver in robot mode. Add to that giant cannon the hip and elbow joints plus tiny pegs which hold the waist together can't quite handle, and he's a bit irritating.
Aside from the normal laundry list of issues, that was the thing that really bugged me about MP Megatron. How could they not include a lighter weight, robot-scaled fusion cannon for him? I don't even think any of the 3rd party accessory makers ever got around to making one (or at least I haven't seen one that I can remember)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mixed generation pic spam. One of my favourite things about TFs is that with few or no tweaks things produced so far apart sit well together...

Anyone else do this?

http://i.imgur.com/V9ugFps.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8a3scBH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H3B3xU7.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Mixed generation pic spam. One of my favourite things about TFs is that with few or no tweaks things produced so far apart sit well together...

Anyone else do this?
From time to time.

I find that a G1 toy in alt-mode usually looks pretty solid next to a modern equivalent in whatever form. Both in robot mode not so much, though it does have some value in terms of "look how far we've come".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fair point, Browning's the only one out in robot mode apart from a random Sideswipe, some WSTs, Wildfly and a Hallmark Megatron Christmas ornament.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Denyer wrote:Mixed generation pic spam. One of my favourite things about TFs is that with few or no tweaks things produced so far apart sit well together...

Anyone else do this?
I did something like this with my son a while back. Pulled out the old G1 Jazz and RTS Jazz, G1 Prime and Classics Prime, and so on to show him how far we've come. Also did a rough price conversion from 1984 to now figuring in inflation (Jazz's price of $9.96 in 1984 is about $22.73 now) because we're a nerd family and he found it interesting.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cosmic rust dealt with on MP-5 Megatron's feet. Scrubbing with 100% isopropanol brought back a lot of shine:

Before: https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 2393953280

After: https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 9330770945

(It's not perfect, but I don't want his feet to be as shiny as they arrived, and it's at least a big improvement. Maybe more scrubbing will help, or perhaps I'll try toothpaste like others suggest, although if isopropanol doesn't do it I don't know what will...)

I'm not bothering with the other bits of metal on him as they're largely out of sight, and it's not actual rust (just tarnish) so the structural integrity should be fine.

Here he stands:

https://twitter.com/ChrisCathrine/statu ... 0511465472

Next to work out how to sort the flimsy waist connection and weak right arm joints so he can hold his cannon properly - any tips?

(And granted nothing can solve the design problems with his unsightly legs... Come on Takara, we need a new MP Megatron!)

Also items on eBay.