POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, sure it's a common reaction but it doesn't feel as if the leader concept has been thought through with the "voyager + some bits" concept.

If anyone is after Siege, it looks like Smyth's have had their Xmas stock in. Also picked up a Sixgun since they've clearly opened or been shipped some leftover wave 1 cases as a well as a healthy amount of wave 2. Having already preordered the couple I was interested in (Springer, Impactor), which turns out to have been a bit pointless as retail has not screwed things up for once, I'm leaving the Apeface/Spinister preorder in for the moment but think I'm done for the foreseeable.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That's where I got my Brunt from! I was quite excited to see some new Transformers in at retail. They've got Refraktor, but he looks quite dull and I don't really fancy buying 3 of him to get a decent alt mode. Springer looks really boring. I can't believe folks are swooning over this guy when the Generations figure from a few years back is still awesome.

It's been a bit of famine around my way over the last year. Last year, The Entertainer had the Studio Series in, but just seemed to get in a job lot, discounted them all straight away and then gave up when they were left with a load of Thundercrackers no-one wanted. I am puzzled that the only Siege representatives in The Entertainer are the Battlemasters. Retail is weird.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's a place for chunky retro, and the Springers fit in different line-ups IMO. There's enough to differentiate them without one just seeming like a step backwards. Unlike the half-arsed recent stabs at Jazz or Prowl, or getting to a stage where it feels like Mirage is in every line, etc. Can't complain as they're being mixed in with some very left-field character choices as well, but more and more secondary characters are now inspiring the same fatigue reaction as the dozens of Primes or Bumblebees.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Transformers/Ghostbusters Crossover Ectotron.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Impactor, CW Magnus and a KO of that Perfect Effect PC-17 white Prime to turn it into a real Magnus. Rounds out the working area nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/xGripo8.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

How's the head sculpt on Impactor in person? I've heard a lot of grousing.

Also, I'd forgotten how good Ultra Dreadwing looks.

Siege Brunt

My local stores have gotten a ton of new Transformers stock in for the first time since the New Year! Still kinda spotty on what and where, but the wave three Deluxes are pretty thick on the ground. I said no thanks to Reflector for much the same reason as Skyquake did...he's an army builder that's nice, but not quite nice enough to want to army-build. And what good is just one Cartoon Reflector? And Red Alert looked way cooler in his stock photos with more red parts, so he was an easy pass even though I'd initially been looking forward to him.

But Brunt actually looks great. He's the nicest standalone figure of the Weaponizers, mostly thanks to having an alt-mode that's more than just perfunctory. His Weaponized parts are cool too, with a few different BFG combinations possible. And of course it's always fun to slap a set of Scorponok claws onto random figures. I think he might be my favourite of the three, but that's splitting hairs because all three of the Weaponizers are a lot of fun.

TRU also had tons of toy-colours Reflector, Powerdasher Chromar and the Rainmaker set. I had the original toys of the first two as a kid and the latter are just the sort of eye-searing nonsense I usually go for, but I managed to resist. The Rainmakers are nuts enough that they may just convince me to buy the meh-tastic tetrajet mold, though. Hopefully they sell out before the next sale so I'm not tempted!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If for some reason they did Brunt in green, would be all over it -- someone's already done centurion warrior customs based on that design.

The Spartan helmet design for Impactor is iconic, but it's borrowed iconography that isn't particularly faithful to the original comics. People particularly keen on the IDW version, or only familiar with that one, aren't going to appreciate the alternate head being held back for a gift set, but I like it well enough.

I almost picked up a decent custom of Dreadwind (like the convention exclusive, based on Classics Jetfire) but the size difference and scope for paint damage put me off. Do like those two Ultras, and those and the Primal/Megatron are basically there as convention memories.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Siege Impactor. I've been able to finally read (a few months ago) LSotW, so now I actually have something to grasp on with the character. Nice mold! The robot mode is very clean and has some great articulation. Simple transformation, but fun and interesting. I like that the tank turret rotates and raises too. He's pretty solid all around, and the head sculpt is just fine with me. The 'spartan' one I'm more familiar with, but the mass retail one is pretty good. He's got a bit of a pouty face though; I kinda wish they had made it more scream-y like the boxart. At any rate, I like it well enough not to buy a $70 exclusive pack to swap it out. :up:
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Cyberverse Thundercracker - At Ollie's for $5. I now own 3 versions of this mediocre mold: Acid Storm (because I didn't have a non-kreon Acid Storm), Slipstream (ditto), and TC. He has less non-blue trim than TC normally does, so he's kind of a cheap Ion Storm. If they do a yellow version, I'll pick it up and have Cyberverse Rainmakers.

I got 1 TC for me and 5 for Christmas toy drives. As a fairly prominent show character who's toy never saw mass release, he makes a decent gift even if the mold's not great. If anyone here wants one, let me know and we'll see if we can work out a trade.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Classics Ramjet
I was feeling oddly nostalgic for this figure, having sold mine on a few years back. So I've bought him again. I do love his grumpy looking face. Probably the best use of this mould too - its arm articulation isn't hampered by having some inconvenient wings plonked behind his shoulders. I'd forgotten quite how blocky the guy is, but it suits him.

Universe Darkwind
Brilliant repaint of the Silverbolt figure into the Decepticon Powermaster. The colours are excellent, he looks good and has loads of lovely lovely clickety clackety ratchet joints. The transformation is a bit rubbish - he's one of those that's got his entire alt-mode on his back - but it's made up by the fun factor and some good electronic sound effects. Have to say, I've loved every one of these Universe 2008 figures I've picked up. Strangely, they seem to be some of the least loved figures, with ebay being awash with them. Countdown, Overload, Heavy Load and even the weird looking Storm Shadow have easily been my favourite pick ups over the last 12 months.They're just good and chunky and tons of fun. Darkwind here made the POTP version of himself and Dreadwind look a bit feeble by comparison.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Classics Ramjet is definitely my favourite figure using the Classics Seeker body, as well, and I agree that the wings being on the legs are what does it. But still, the body shows its age nowadays. It's pretty disappointing that 13 years on this is still the best representation that most of the Seekers have ever had. I'm hoping that the Earthrise take on the same basic design will be an improvement.

Walmart Reissue Gears

I haven't been super impressed with the Walmart G1 figure line so far. The prices for the figures are pretty nuts considering what they are, a lot of the line seems to suffer from mold degredation issues, they used the Bumblebee with the ugly cartoon head (surely this defeats the purpose of a "reissue"?), most of the figures have been hard to find here, and they chose a whole ton of figures I already owned.

I'd never even seen a G1 Gears in person but always liked him, so this figure was the first of the bunch that I really wanted when I saw it in store. He's super tiny and cute. I've always loved Gears' non-face and pudgy truck mode. Unfortunately he suffers a bit from the afformentioned mold degradation issues...his arms have a few rough spots and his legs don't want to sit flush in either robot or truck mode. I like the figure but I'm really disappointed with the poor quality control that seems like a line-wide issue.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Siege stuff, the last few days.

Via mail, Siege Barricade and Siege Hot Shot (Generations Selects) came in on Friday. It's nice to have a proper Generations version of Barricade, so I can play good cop/bad cop with Prowl. I think the black on black colors work fantastically well with this mold, topped off with translucent purple on the cockpit. I hadn't noticed from photos that he has a graphite strip down the middle of the car mode, and it's really effective for breaking up the alt mode. The whole thing is really sleek looking, even compared to Prowl. The smooth alt mode seems out of place against Siege's other (blockier) designs, but Barricade makes it work so well I don't mind it. I'm also glad they gave him a unique set of blasters (or a double blaster). Makes me wish Prowl came with shoulder missiles.

Hot Shot is fun. I already liked the Hound mold, and this is a simple head swap and new paint job. I like the color palette, and the paint is different enough to make him feel fresh next to Hound. Probably not the best homage ever, but it's nice to have a new/different character that isn't solely trapped in 1984-1986. I have no problem with Hasbro incorporating characters/homages that span various TF lore into new WFC figures. At least it's something new.

Lastly, I just picked up Siege Mirage. This Mirage is much chunkier than the last one I owned (Classics), but I suppose more accurate with the character's representation in either toy or cartoon form. Interesting transformation. Alt mode is good, but a tad blocky and back-end heavy. I also didn't realize that the abdomen spoiler is faux, and ends up situated on the rear of the alt mode. I haven't had much time to fiddle with him, but he seems fairly fun and solid so far. Surprisingly, he came with a big blaster and a big shoulder missile launcher, so that helps.

Overall, I'm liking a lot of the Siege offerings. Whether it's an updated character I felt like I needed, someone new altogether, or just a simple fun figure, this line is definitely more hits than misses for me. As a guy who favors the robot mode, having Cybertronian alt modes has given the design team a lot of freedom to build without being restricted by an Earth alt mode. I hope this trend continues well enough for Earthrise.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 pmThe Entertainer [...] were left with a load of Thundercrackers no-one wanted.
Light's too low to get a photo now, but I liked the transformation on Nitro Zeus Thunderwing and whilst ideally the paint would be a more purple-y blue, bend the knees a bit and it has enough kibble and pointy bits to look neat with the Scorponok titanmaster that came with Grotusque. Makes a neat deskbot.

edit: Buggrit... turns out this device can do 2 second exposures...

https://i.imgur.com/sHF6ll5.jpg
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heh. That stance reminds of the 'squat' the Energon Scorponok has.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Given a body that doesn't have a strong existing character vibe (which is a preconception kids won't be stuck with) have to say I actually quite like the play pattern -- it's a shame there aren't more suitable voyager-class moulds. Needs more 5mm weapon holes though.

https://i.imgur.com/ZYFJox0.jpg
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Today I welcomed back an old friend into my collection. Hope people don't mind a bit of story.

As a kid I remember getting maybe one or two Transformers, despite me having tons. One of them was the Superion Gift Set. Maybe I saw the cartoon he appeared in, maybe I didn't. I remember loosing his head at preschool, and having him on my PJs.

I've been on a tear working out, improved muscle ton, loosing weight. Part of my methods so far as been rewards based. I told myself if I could do a few extra KM, and a little hole in the wall had him. I'd pick him up.

Despite it being 11 C, and me being in a T-Shirt as I did 30 KM or so on my bike. I went into my local hole in the wall place which sells older (and newer) bots. No real talking price. The guy I deal with shoots straight, so just a load of cold hard cash. Superion was packed up and for the first time in over 30 years he's back in my collection.:)
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Siege Impactor - He vaguely reminds me of CHUG Skullgrin, with his upper torso and arms becoming a turret just a little too wide for the tank body made of his legs. Impactor's far less kibbly in bot mode, though, with just the chunk on his upper back that hides his head looking at all out of place.

Siege not-Huffer and other guy - The orange and blue truck is a nice update of one of the few Micromasters I remember having as a kid. I had quite a few of them, but most don't really stand out. Actually, I may be remembering the yellow verson that came with a Micromaster base, but that deco's only available ina 10 pack full of repaints. The other guy is OK. The wheels sticking out past his hands remind me of SS Baricade, and is only slightly smaller.

PotP Red Swoop - from a comic shop. My other PotP and Energon Swoop are both blue. My only other red Swoop is a Kreon I made using a Starscream torso. I haven't taken this guy out of the box yet, but I have opened the box and can tell he look great.

Cyberverse Scraplet - He doesn't transform so much as fold into a biped to fit in the package better. The jaw and rear hips are hinged, which is it for articulation. The push button to open mouth and spin inner teeth gimmick is fun. And, he looks great. The eyes are shiny and ominous. The grey plastic with black detailing pulls off the battle damage look better than Siege figures.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Universe Warriors From 3 Worlds
Another unloved 2008 Universe set that's cluttering up ebay (and people seem to want silly money for) , I managed to pick one up for around the original RRP. It's a re-pack of the Cybertron Scouts Scattorshot, Repugnus and Ransack GTS. Scattorshot is good fun, as is Repugnus who has one of the weirdest and ugliest robot mode modes ever. Ransack has a cool vehicle mode and a nice livery, but his robot mode is a bit clumsy. The Cyber Planet Key pop-up features are all a bit feeble (and Repugnus pop out blade is unfortunately positioned), but the set as a whole is good fun. The plastics are nice, the designs are imaginative and I like them all :).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Universe Tread Bolt
Neat recolour of the 2006 Classics Jetfire mould. He's a chunky fellow and the mould works better for me as an afterthought repaint of a Micromaster no-one remembers. Just because I can totally disassociate it from the still ace BanDai Valkyrie that was the original Jetfire figure. The weird mix of olive, blue, black, grey and yellow shouldn't work, but it does. He's good fun, but terribly unbalanced in robot mode with the booster unit on his back.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Siege Springer!

As much of a bitch to transform as everyone says, but such a lovely robot.