POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Re: NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Heinrad »

Studio Series #39 Cogman: Despite the fact that he is literally just a slight recolor of the regular deluxe TLK deluxe figure, I couldn’t find that figure when it came out, and now I have the raving nutcase in shiny silver.

He does look pretty good, though. If the TLK deluxe version was supposed to represent what he looked like after a thousand or so years on Earth, the Studio Series version seems to be what he would have looked like as a young Headmaster from a thousand years ago..... that transforms into an Aston Martin.

Now, how long will it be before Fangry mugs Cogman for a new body.....
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

SDCC Combiner Wars Devastator
My gosh, he's enormous! He's a big daft lump of a thing. As with the POTP Predacons, the individual robot modes are decent enough, but not particularly great compared to what you normally get from mainline Transformers. I don't mind though, like the Predacons, they're all great fun (especially fatty boom boom Long Haul). Having the extra paintwork and chrome is nice too and makes these feel less cheap than they otherwise would. I'm really pleased with him and have had endless fun switching them all about and posing them. Only thing I would have liked is some proper guns for the individual robots. I like that they make use of the combiner gear for this, but they do form daftly over-sized weapons.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

There's been a lull in new stuff I want, so I finally broke open the TLK Dinobots I bought last year. They're both a definite step up from their AoE counterparts.

Strafe has a lighter blue now, which contrasts much better with the black than AoE's navy blue. The red pteranodon eyes also stand out much more than the barely visible AoE eyes. Plus, this figure is the only one I've seen that justifies putting Deluxes in boxes, since the tails have room to lie straight instead of coming out of package permanently bent, like AoE's. The wings have a plainer deco, which actually looks better than the weird pointed on the AoE version.

The downside is that straight tails kind of get in the way in bot mode, and aren't painted like AoE's. Right now, TLK Strafe's replaces AoE Strafe in my TF Prime figures riding movieversie Dinots display. TLK has all 4 lances. AoE is on his own in bot mode, dual-wielding crossbows.

I'd forgotten how unsatsifying Slash's mold is. The bot is awkward and I'm never sure if the piece the dino arms mount to is in the right position or not. The dino looks good, though. TLK's blue and grey color scheme has a lot more gravitas than the teal and radioactive green of AoE.

I was disappointed with SS Jazz's small size and large backpack. But, both make him perfect to ride Slash, since the backpack rests against Slash's back. Jazz is too big to pull of the Autobot-riding-Dinobot look of the movies. With the size ratio, Jazz's lance-like cannon with the round shield part, and Slash's feathers, it reminds me of that old video game Joust, where knights rode ostriches. But with robots.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

My wife and son got me Siege Lionizer as a birthday gift. He's pretty cool! Definitely more fun on his own than Firebolt or Blowpipe. He works as either a gun or a sword in weapon mode, depending on how you orient the handle. It's a bit tough for some other figures to hold him though, since the handle is narrowed down instead of being a full 5mm circle. It's also a bit of a shame that they gave him a boring black and grey colour scheme instead of making him mostly orange like the old Action Master partner.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Ultra Magnus
Not my first choice from the Siege Leader line, but Shockwave seems hard to come by at the minute, so thought I'd have a go with the one everyone says is the better of the two wave one Leaders (also reduced on Amazon, so there's that...). He is pretty neat! Feels nice and solid and has some heft to him. The armoured form is impressive, if a bit podgy and the constant 'A' stance isn't to my tastes (plus looks weird in vehicle mode with angled feeties poking out), but the overall look is good. I do like the 'battle damage' too, which is great. The 'white Prime' is good too - his tractor cab doesn't look so good and doesn't work without the trailer attachments though. Overall, a good , solid figure with some flaws. Not mind blowing, but good all the same.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Siege Ironhide: I really like him. He looks big and bulky, I really like his vehicle mode, he’s really posable. The only thing that doesn’t work for me is his missile launcher rifle hammer thing.

Fortunately I picked up Siege Sixgun as well, although I’m really having a problem arming Ironhide up in a way that doesn’t look ridiculous. It does fix the gun problem to an extent, though.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Siege Prowl: Again, good mold design, really neat vehicle mode, but..... in a way, he feels too squat and featureless from a distance. My first thought looking at him was, "Why not make the headlights blue? It's kind of like looking at a snowfield." Even just doing panel lines in black would help.

Siege Chromia: Another good design, lots of detail. This one's a bit "m'eh" as well, though it's more the mold didn't impress me enough as Moonracer or Firestar to make me want to get it. The retooling helped, saving me from another combiner limb that will never connect to anything.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Lionizer.

Cyberverse Grimlock.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series 12 Voyager Brawl
Bit of a funny one. He looks okay in robot mode but has some odd design choices; the eyes look like they're permanently squinting, has weedy looking shoulders and biceps which give out into these huge flappy fist chunks and his legs are huge great pillars with very little in the way of movement. Clip on weapon things are fine, but he lacks dynamism in robot mode and just looks a bit too cluttered. With the amount of tank chunks tucked around his arms and legs he very much whiffs of shellformer, but there feels like there's enough that you're actually engaging with Transforming the thing. Tank mode looks great.

Studio Series 13 Voyager ROTF Megatron
Brutal looking robot that is a little bit hollow once you catch a side view of him. I like how horrible he looks with his great big can opener arm and then this weedly thalidomide left arm that withers away into tendril fingers. Feet are a bit weird, looks like he's stood in some man-traps. Transformation is a tuck and compact job that gives you the space face tank. It's fine.

I'm still not sure about the Studio Series. I'm liking them enough to continue picking up as I like the consistency and effort, but they've still some way to go to be as impressive as the ROTF/HFTD lines, which remain the high watermark for the live action movie figures. Too often this line - in common with pretty much every recent Transformers line - has given up thinking about how you can get a robot into a vehicle in favour of just making the alt mode a carapiece that tucks away and fits around the robot mode. It might be that for the Studio Series at least, it's the trade off for greater screen accuracy,but it feels deeply unsatisfying. I've no idea what the excuse is for things like POTP, with their panels and tabs.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

While on a hunt for Ironhide and Prowl (figured Deluxes would hit first) I was suprised to find a lone Starscream and Soundwave from the Siege line!

Siege Starscream: I already knew I was going to grab this instantly. I've been looking for a solid Voyager class, Classics-styled 'Screamer for a while (PotP is fun, but sadly not doing the job), and this one scratches the itch. I won't say he's perfect, but quite good. The chest panel likes to fall off, but it easily reattaches. Looks like it was designed for pins, and may be a running change down the road. I couldn't wait though. There's also a back joint that holds the backpack on, and it looks like it could snap straight out of the box. A little squeeze though, and it looks tighter now, and not so prone to breakage. Starscream has great articulation: ankles that tilt literally everywhere, wrist swivels, great shoulders & hips, ball joint neck. The G1-yet-Cybertronian look is good, and I can tolerate the 'battle damage'. I dig the head mold. I like that his body's a little lanky/lithe, especially compared to the bulkier Megs and Soundwave. Definitely better than the Popeye proportions of PotP, and I think it fits well. And there's about ZERO hollowness to boot! The tetrajet is neat and very compact - almost the size of the deluxe CHUG F-15 Starscream jet mode. The robot-under-a-jet thing isn't as noticeable since it all folds in decently. It's fun to finally have a version of the tetrajet! :up:

Siege Soundwave: This one's good too. Robot mode is great looking, IMO. The proportions are nice, and he also has good articulation (if just a bit shy of Starscream). Again, the battle damage is very tolerable. No parts that pop off on Soundwave, which is a bonus. The light piping works AMAZINGLY well, like Shockwave's. Nearly no hollowness, kibble, or backpackiness. All around good stuff! Not terribly keen on the space frigate alt mode, but it's not horrid. The leg parts of the transformation remind me of Cyber Battalion Shockwave. On the plus side, the frigate fits in well with Siege Shocky. I don't have the cassettes yet, but the tape deck mechanism works well, and can also deploy in frigate mode.

I would say both are solid and fun, and you wouldn't disappointed with either/both depending on your tastes and/or cash flow.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Siege Shockwave: When I saw this figure was coming out, I wanted to get it. And I have to admit, he’s pretty cool. And still has his gun mode. Yes, all the extra bits turn him into a space cruiser, but without them, he’s back to being a space gun.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

SS Scrapmetal - I'd be satisfied with this guy even if he didn't turn into part of Devastator. He's the largest SS deluxe I've seen so far, a hair taler than Ratchet or Lockdown, and quite a bit bulkier. He's more of an update to G1 Scavenger than SS Scavenger will be, with the treads forming the legs, the shovel arm as a backpack, and the little pin head folding out of the body.

The instructions are poor, as usual, but the transformation is pretty straightforward. The only issue is the asymetrical arms mean you can't see everything you need to in the photos on the box. One arm forms the left third of the truck body and cockpit. The other arm forms the center and right thirds of the truck body.

The only compromise I can see for the combined mode is a gap in that middle third, which is needed to give Devastator matching fingers. This is rectified by a small add-on piece that partsforms into what is supposed to be a shield. This is his only accessory.

His vehicle mode rolls well, and the arm has 3 points of articulation: base, middle, and shovel. Again, this is much more reminiscent of G1 Scavenger than SS Scavenger will be. The truck body doesn't turn, but that's understandable given the transformation.

My only gripe is that the bot mode is a bit plain. A little more paint would've helped, especially on the eyes, which are barely noticable.

The instructions provide approximate release dates for the remaining SS Constructicons:
late 2019: Hightower, Rampage, Long Haul
early 2020: Scavenger, Mixmaster, Scrapper
late 2020: Overload

So, I'm guessing Hasbro will abruptly cancel the SS line mid 2020.

SS Shatter is terrible. Both arms, and both front fender panels fell of repeatedly during my first attempt at transformation. I tried to just transform her with her arms detached, and plug them back in at the end, but these little panels on each arm made that too difficult. I'm sure I could get her into car mode if I tried harder, but she's not worth the effort.

I was looking forward to the jacked up muscle car mode, which I haven't seen in a TF before. But, it looks like the designers just used that as an excuse to have the feet hanging out under the car instead of folding away properly. The arms (or at least the cannons) look like they'd've stuck out underneath, too.

The color pallette is OK, but just reminds me of SS Stinger, who's better in every way. She's back in the box and will be returned shortly.
Last edited by Tantrum on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Hasbro Reissue Devastator
It's better than the Encore set!The plastics are good and the figures transform well and everything works. The only tell tale signs of aging molds are on the faces, which lack definition - Hook's in particular. Other than that, good stuff! I love the Constructicons and the originals are still one of my favourite bunch of TFs.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

POTP Outback!

Quite good fun, despite it feeling like 80% of the vehicle mode is that shield stuck on his back to hide the legs.

Siege Roadhandler and Swindler!

The limbs pop off these new Micros way to easily, I don't think you can transform them without bits going flying. And my Roadhandler came out the box missing a wheel. Boo.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Couple of Detolfs because cat -- https://imgur.com/a/iUWWJeD

Have since unpacked some other bits and pieces for on the tops of shelving units too. And finally picked up a TR Overlord.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:33 am Couple of Detolfs because cat -- https://imgur.com/a/iUWWJeD
What's the big Megatron next to Paddles and MP1? Are the Runabout/amok I sent you in there? I didn't see them. :(
Tantrum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 am
The instructions provide approximate release dates for the remaining SS Constructicons:
late 2019: Hightower, Rampage, Long Haul
early 2020: Scavenger, Mixmaster, Scrapper
late 2020: Overload
Rampage is out now: I saw him (well, six of him) in the store yesterday along with the G1-ish Prime from Bumblebee. Judging from the size of DoomPogo, Devastator will be... rather large. Not as tall as any of the stand-alone Titans, I don't think, but probably heavier.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

BW T-Rex Megatron - Bought from eBay.

BotBots Remorsel - It's one of the blind bag figures.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 pmWhat's the big Megatron next to Paddles and MP1? Are the Runabout/amok I sent you in there? I didn't see them. :(
http://sixotransformers.blogspot.com/20 ... ution.html

What I think of as original Masterpiece scale stuff (binalts, FT dinos, couple of TR leaders and a few voyagers for scale) is out on top of shelves. Will try to snag pics when there's light.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've been looking again at the Universe 2.0 line and picked up a couple of fun figures:

Universe Overload
Neat camo redecco of the Cybertron Defence Scattorshot figure, which was also used for Universe Dropshot. I used to have Dropshot and he felt a little cheap, his plastics felt kind of light and waxy. This guy though is super-solid and feels nice and chunky. The more realistic colourscheme works well and the Cyber Key flip out weapons are fun. Robot mode is great and the vehicle mode is too!

Universe Heavy Load
Redeco of Cyberton Quickmix in some slightly clashing, but oddly complimentary colours. Vehicle mode is great and rolls really well (pinned wheels!remember them?). Robot mode is a bit wibbly, the cement drum is his right arm and his left arm, whilst well articulated, could have used a wrist joint. The feet are awkward flat paddles and the ratchets in his hips are so tight that they collapse back into the robot body when you try and move them. Not a big though, as he's great fun to play with and has a superb headsculpt. With light piping! Also tossed into the mix (pun intended) is the Mini-Con drill bit. He's a garish fellow who turns into a drilling machine. His robot mode is quite gangly as he has very long arms, but he interacts well with Quickmix, being able to stand by the hopper and having lots of places to plug in.

I remember these being one of many, many Voyager toys that heavily shelf-warmed ten years ago, so it's been a nice surprise to find that they're actually really good fun toys. And a sharp reminder of how times have changed - these feel much better constructed than the honeycombed Transformers figures we get today.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:37 pmWill try to snag pics when there's light.
Still don't really photo well -- https://imgur.com/a/UhkO1jp

Plus clutter above desk. Lot of stuff's in tubs. I might get some perspex to front the top level of shelves, but that'll have to wait.