POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series Lockdown
The sculpting and detailing on this guy is fantastic. Nice paint apps thoughtfully applied which pick out the right details. Love his face - a cross between indifference and annoyed. Good articulation and some good accessories (no gun face though, which is disappointing). Only down side is the backpack. It's not awful, but it does get in the way. Transformation is similar to TLK Hot Rod, with just a few extra bits to turn.It's fun and intuitive enough to work out without referring to the instructions. Vehicle mode is beautiful, and rolls brilliantly, thanks to pinned wheels. A stunning piece of work and highlight of the line for me.

Studio Series Jazz
I wasn't going to bother with this guy, but Cliffjumper's comments above made me think again. It was a toss up between him and Prime, but there was only one Jazz on the shelf, so no contest. As Cliffjumper says, he's pretty small, but that's appropriate for the figure and the alt mode (which is pretty much girl's sport's car). He looks great and he's fun to transform, but I'm having trouble getting him fully clipped together in vehicle mode, but I think this is a problem with me, rather than the toy. Sculpting and details is good and he's a good, solid figure. Having played with Lockdown first, he doesn't impress quite as much as he should, but for his size and level of engineering packed in, he is more impressive than I'm giving him credit for.

I picked both these up at The Entertainer, who continue to have the line on a 20% discount, so if anyone's interested in the Studio Series in the UK, they're worth a trip - although in store is likely a better bet. The website seems to be out of stock of a lot of these.

@Cliffjumper - Grimlock isn't one I was interested in either, but a stellar paint job and simple, but fun transformation which gets you a solid looking robot mode and decent alt mode was enough for me. He's fun and looks great. Makes the other Movie Grimlock toys look a bit silly by comparrison.

Blackout is great. I love him. He's a bit of a lurker, his bulk mitigating his articulation, but I've been really impressed. For me he could have used a slightly darker palette.

Crowbar is good, but those dreadlocks... they just get in the way too much. A good figure overall, and I love the horrible looking barbed weapons.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cyberverse Starscream.

Cyberverse Optimus Prime.
Destruction is my specialty
Clay

Post by Clay »

TLK Hot Rod showed up today courtesy of Tantrum.

Not overwhelmed by the robot mode, but the car sure is pretty. This is a remold of AOE Lockdown? Neat.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

DotM Megatron from Clay. For all the talk of movie figures downsizing, he's actually smaller than TLK Voyagers due to his undersized torso, which helps sell the sickly look they're going for. I've given him Evasion Prime's weapon, which is notched to fit Meg's hand. I wonder if they planned this when sculpting Meg's hands, or if the notches were just general hollowness that they made work.

With the hood over his head and right shoulder, and the shotgun and MechTech weapon on his left arm, he looks like the killer at the end of a horror movie. The teenagers think they've killed him, but he comes back for one last attack. THE END???

Transformation to truck was a bit tricky at first, but I've mostly gotten the hang of it. I just have trouble getting the MechTech weapon to snap into place. I like how the bot's raggedy hood dettaches from the raggedy cloak, then reattaches to make a slightly less raggedy truck cover.

Skyquake - Did you notice SS Lockdown's chest panel popping forward a bit to make a fuller torso? I don't think it's in the instructions. Just push the interior of the chest where the head folds in.

Clay - I've got AoE Lockdown, and he doesn't seem to share many, if any parts with Hot Rod. They have similar transformations, both of which seem influenced by DotM Deluxe Roadbuster.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A couple things came through the mail lately. Been cleaning out other sections of my collection via eBay to make room for newer, more fun (at least at the moment) things. :)

Energon Starscream (the smoky green version): I already have the G1 deco on the shelf, and I liked the mold enough to double-dip. The 'incomplete' detail comes through much nicer on this one, and I really dig the extra paint detailing. There's a bunch going on that I missed on the G1 version, simply because it's harder to spot when done in light grey. The dark translucent green wings with matte black detail is pretty awesome too. Very impressed and I'm glad I got him.

KO MP-11 Starscream: The KBB model. Couldn't afford the real deal, but I can definitely afford a KO from Ali Express. This one's my first KO Transformer, so I was curbing my expectations until it arrived. The quality is really quite good, and I haven't had any issues with it. The torso/chest is a touch on the wiggly side, but I get the feeling that the real MP-11 has a similar issue. As expected, everything isn't quite as tight together as the real one, most noticeably the side hip panels stick out just a touch. There's a couple spots that are diecast rather than plastic, so that adds a bit of heft to him. Otherwise, I'm very pleased. He came with all of the myriad accessories too: coronation set (crown, cape, pauldrons), a diecast Megatron pistol, holographic pilot, spring firing null rays, missile clusters for the jet, and the flight stand. For a KO, I'd definitely give this one a :up:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Studio Series Ironhide: an absolute beaut on the whole. Really nails the chest (instead of having it as floating wings or cheaty parts), subtle paint apps, great weaponry, love the folding bits on the legs. The "whatever" gaps on the tail end of the Top Kick are a bit cheap but yeah. Maybe a bit massive, SS Prime looks a little weedy next to him when my recollection is that they were a bit closer in physique.

TLK Hound - KO version with the red crosses and random diecast. Like him, a bit less shelformy than the AOE one but it's not a character model that lends itself well to transforming toys.
Tantrum wrote:
I've got and like both. Their transformations are very different (SS is like Scorn, TLK is like G1), but both fun, without any finicky or frustrating bits.
Cheers! Probably going to come down to whether the next wave here (with Brawl and VW Bee) comes into stock before I spent out.
Skyquake87 wrote:Studio Series Lockdown
A stunning piece of work and highlight of the line for me.
I like him a lot; he's simpler than most of the rest but it's not a weakness and means they've clearly had the budget to go absolutely mental on the sculpted detail. He's always going to be a difficult one to make a toy of as ILM had clearly stopped giving a shit about realistic transformations by AOE but I think he does well.
Studio Series Jazz
He looks great and he's fun to transform, but I'm having trouble getting him fully clipped together in vehicle mode
Some of the SS alt mode clipping in really is knife-edge on the cars; there's so much packed into them that if you don't line everything up 100% (for which the instructions are zero help) doors and bits pop out far too easily.
I picked both these up at The Entertainer, who continue to have the line on a 20% discount, so if anyone's interested in the Studio Series in the UK, they're worth a trip - although in store is likely a better bet. The website seems to be out of stock of a lot of these.
It's the only place I've seen them yet (though the old ball and chain reliably informs me Hamleys have a solid shelf of 07 Ratchet at thirty quid a pop) and the discount takes it down to being just about fair prices.
@Cliffjumper - Grimlock isn't one I was interested in either, but a stellar paint job and simple, but fun transformation which gets you a solid looking robot mode and decent alt mode was enough for me. He's fun and looks great. Makes the other Movie Grimlock toys look a bit silly by comparrison.
I'm just not that sold on the basic design of the Movie Dinobots to be honest. I suspect it's going to come down to seeing him in store and getting carried away (the reason I got Prime, though I do wish I'd held out for the DOTM one).
Blackout is great. I love him. He's a bit of a lurker, his bulk mitigating his articulation, but I've been really impressed. For me he could have used a slightly darker palette.
I love him - he is a bit of a statue but just the sheer size. He's 110% the looming guy who just floats down onto the top of the building in Mission City.
Crowbar is good, but those dreadlocks... they just get in the way too much. A good figure overall, and I love the horrible looking barbed weapons.
Yeah, considering they've really finally said "**** weapon storage" and gone for MP-style accessories the dreads really should have been removable. But yeah, I like him.
Clay wrote:TLK Hot Rod showed up today courtesy of Tantrum.

Not overwhelmed by the robot mode, but the car sure is pretty. This is a remold of AOE Lockdown? Neat.
I like his transformation and he's got decent detail but there's something about his legs, they seem very stiff and lanky compared to most Movieverse figures.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Tantrum wrote:DotM Megatron from Clay. I've given him Evasion Prime's weapon, which is notched to fit Meg's hand. I wonder if they planned this when sculpting Meg's hands, or if the notches were just general hollowness that they made work.
Hmm. I've never actually thought to try that, but I can see how it'd work.

As for Megatron, I still think pretty highly of the mechanism for making the trailer swivel on the hitch to the cab despite it being located in the middle of the robot's thighs (I think?). They've made some other truck/trailer figures since then that maintain articulation between the cab and the trailer (CW Ultra Magnus, for example), but not any that also have other, different articulation points for the robot in the same spot. It's neat!

As for me, I got a box on Tuesday with SS Ironhide, Jazz, and Lockdown. In addition to those, I also bought a Masterpiece Clamp Down since it was on markdown. I wanted a Red Alert version of the Countach mold that was crisp white instead of the creamy white of the Anime version (which I now need to sell if anyone wants it). I like the interplay between Sideswipe, G2 Sideswipe, and Red Alert as they all use the same colors (red, white, and black) to different effects. Oh! And I also got the third party add on kit for SS Grimlock so that he has two hands and his other weapons and stuff. It's nice!

But that was Tuesday. Today, I got a box with only one thing: Perfect Effect MEGA DORAGON (Transmetal 2 Megatron).

IT IS OVERWHELMING AND AWESOME. I CAN'T EVEN.

<ahem> I'll tell you all more about later. It's important. The first transformer that I ever bought as an adult was TM2 Megatron, and this is just... just a great update.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

SS Lockdown.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:
I like his transformation and he's got decent detail but there's something about his legs, they seem very stiff and lanky compared to most Movieverse figures.
Played with Hot Rod more today... I like his robot mode more now. It's just the head sculpt that doesn't stick for me. That's a shame, too, because it's got a lot of good, clean detail work and two (2!) different colors of paint just for his eyes and highlights.

Shame he doesn't have a gun. Can't remember a thing about it from the movie, but I remember them making a big deal about it.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

PotP Wreck-Gar - More backpack, but less leg kibble, than the RtS one. He looks pretty good riding Junkheap, though it's a tiny bit awkward since he lacks a wrist swivel, requiring the upper arms to be turned to line up the fistholes with the handlebars. Junkheap cannot ride WG due to Junkheap's leg kibble and PotP WG's wider vehicle mode.

He comes with Deluxe Prime Armor and RtS Wreck-Gar's axe. The axe is a poor choice of weapon. RtS had an open hand, so he could grab the axe in the middle. PotP has a closed fist, so he can only hold the axe by the end, which isn't good. RtS's axe blade becomeing wheel rim gimmick doesn't come into play here.

The instructions show the axe clip attaching to the handlebars. The back of the box has the axe handle storing in the Prime Armor. Neither looks good. The only plus side to getting this axe is that my RtS Wreck-Gar didn't come with one, and now he has one.

That leaves PotP Wreck-Gar with just the Prime Armor, but that actually works pretty well. It's the spiked kind that comes with the Dinobots and Terrorcons*, so it works as a gauntlet when plugged into WG's right arm (the left arm has the kickstand instead of the 5 mm hole). It also looks good plugged into the rear of the motorcycle. It's a damn near perfect size to look flush with the body of the motorcycle, and folding the thumbs back as additional spikes make a decent anti-tailgating measure.

I might give Wreck-Gar CW Trailbreaker's axe, since TB's got his cannon, and the axe doesn't really fit his kindly old man face sculpt. I just have to remember what I did with it.

* I just realized there's only 3 kinds of Deluxe Prime Armor: spiky, engine 1 (Jazz, Novastar, Mooonracer), and engine 2 (Darkwing, Dreadwind). I miss the CW days when every mold had its own HFG. I also wish Predaking had been standard sized; twin cannoned HFGs for feet and spiky Prime Armor for fists would've worked really well.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series Ratchet
Good, solid figure. Not massively impressive, if I'm honest but he's fun enough. He feels quite loose after just a few goes though, which is a bit poor. Transformation is quick and fun, robot mode badly needs more paint and the vehicle mode is good. If I sound slightly underwhelmed, its because I am. Ratchet looks great in the films and has an interesting vehicle mode with plenty of punch, but his toys have all been lacking and it's disappointing to see the otherwise great Studio Series turn out yet another 'this'll do' toy for him. I guess emergency vehicles just aren't cool in the world of mega-explosions.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

A multitude of things have come my way in the last couple of weeks:

PotP Wreck-Gar: Tantrum hit the nail on the head with his description, no need to go any deeper. I like him, but nothing note-worthy.

PotP Punch/Counterpunch: Love the alt mode, and the two robot modes are fun. The chest rides really close to the ground in car mode though. I also did the shoulder 'fix' to make the car more snug, but conversely the shoulders are now a bit loose so positioning the arms is touchy. Might need to shore them up a bit with clear nail polish. as others have said, the Prime armor is just about useless.

Titans Return Cloudraker & Wingspan: Just got them last night, and they're really run to fiddle with. Great articulation and easy to transform. Makes me wish the other two twins weren't so troublesome to hunt down.

Constructicons Hercules OS KO: An over-sized KO version of DX9's Hulkie. I like him a lot, and the quality is astoundingly good. Everything transforms rather smoothly and snugly combines. There's a single chest piece panel that's a touch loose - held in by a pin, and only sits right with friction to overcome gravity. This will need to be fixed a touch too. Size is a touch off in my collection, as he's about as big as a Leader fig when combined. You can make him a bit taller by straightening his legs, but he looks spindly in return. The individual figs are nice, and are just a bit shorter than your average deluxe, but not as short as your average Legends figure. Colors and paint apps are really good too.

Wing of Tyrant OS KO: Also an over-sized KO of Iron Factory's Wing of Tyrant. This one's just even in height with most deluxe figures. Quality is superb and paint apps are very well done. Surprised at how nice the metallic red and blue came out. For a deluxe this dude has a bunch of articulation as well as swivel wrists and tilt ankles. Absolutely pleased to have him. He might be my favorite Deluxe size Starscream!

Bumblebee Greatest Hits Pack (Target Excl.): Got this mostly for Frenzy, but I also did not have Howlback (blue Ravage repaint) nor Buzzsaw. (Also got this because it was on sale and Target had a 25% off coupon) I own all the Generations-type molds already, but it will be nice to have a more 'complete' set of cassettes/data tapes. I haven't fiddled with the 1-Step Bumblebee yet, but I wholly expect it to be underwhelming. Luckily I have a 6 year old who will be glad to have a new toy to mess with.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

SS Autobot Jazz.

SS Megatron.

SS Brawl.

POTP Punch-Counterpunch.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Cyberverse Windblade & Megatron - I've been avoiding reading about upcoming toys and lines since I missed being surprised when I saw new toys on the shelves*. All I'd seen of Cyberverse before I saw them in store was a single picture of wave 1 in a random thread. I looked away quickly, so all I got out of that was that the larger toys were in open boxes, the packaging was primarily yellow, and that the toys had reached stores. So, I went to Target...

...and was very disappointed. The toys were simplistic, the smaller ones not even having full transformations. The new seeker mold didn't have knees. Shockwave had a goofy eyebrow thing and goofier alt mode. I planned to skip the entire line. Fortunately, wave 2 shows some improvement.

Windblade has the best headsculpt of the 3 I own, T30 and NuRiD being the others. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that TR Windblade's headsculpt is compromised by virtue of being a Titanmaster, and that Cyberverse is the best so far.

Transformation is similar to my other Windblades; the cockpit is a backpack, the shins form the top of the rear of the plane, the arms aren't hidden. There are notches in the legs to conceal the thumbs, but I have issues getting those to tab in while tabbing the legs to each other and the torso. I haven't decided if this is an error on my part or the figure's, yet.

The gimmick is decent. Pushing down the cockpit backpack raises the bottom half of the wings, spinning the turbines. The wings are split lengthwise, presumably so the wing raising mechanism isn't visible in jet mode.

Cyberverse Windblade has less backpack than NuRid, and less gap in airplane mode than T30. Possibly no gap if I figure out this tabbing issue. It's my favorite Windblade so far. She lacks a weapon, but can hold the sword that comes with the other Windblades.

Megatron's bot mode and gimmick both do a great job of evoking his G1 self. Instead of a left hand, he's got his pink spiked mace on the end of his arm. Pushing a lever on his back raises his arm, turning the mace into a flail on a short red string. This lever looks like the hammer on the back of G1 Megatron's gun mode. A second lever, not visible from the front, locks the flail back into place.

His cannon is oversized since transfromation takes cues from CW Meg. The arms for the sides of the turret, and the arm cannon forms the barrel. However, the simplicity of the figure means the barrel doesn't collapse, and is almost long enough to reach the ground when pointed straight down. It still look good, though.

Megatron's alt mode...rolls very well. There are large tabs that hold the tank together and assure you that yes, it is supposed to look like this. No effeort is made to hide Meg's hand or bright pink mace/flail, which stick out far behind the end of the tank as defined by its treads.

Like Armada Meg, the tank has a gap between the front treads. However, Armada Megatron's head formed a claw that could grip enemies. Cyberverse Megatron simply charges into battle taint first.

Meg's legs unfold to become the tank treads, but the nubs that form the hinges are too small, so the legs will fall apart as you transfrom him. It's not a major problem, but it is one that you'd Hasbro would've learned to solve by now.

Overall, I'm satisfied both with my decision to get these characters, and my decision to skip the rest of the line so far. Articulation is very limited. Neither has a thigh swivel, though this may be to reduce the amount of things the young target audience has to worry about in order to line up the parts for transformation. Neither has neck articulation; Meg's is molded into place, Windblade's head bobbles a bit, but can't turn due to her molded collar.

Both have build quality issues. I mntioned Megatron's legs already. Windblade has loose knees. There are tabs in the lower legs that slide into the thighs during transfromation which help with this, but the tabs themselves can come out while posing.

I like these, but doubt I'll get many more, if any, from this line. If they redeco the Seeker as Slipstream, I might be interested, as the only Slipstream I have is the Kreon Microchanger. Then again, the only Acid Storm I have is the Kreon Microchanger, and I'm not getting the Warrior Seeker redceo of him.

Another minor plus: neither figure was tied into the package with anything. They just pooped out of their plastic, which had some tabs molded into them to hold the figures snugly.

* All I knew about the new movie toys was the phrase "Energon Igniters" implying cross play, and a picture of SS VW 'Bee. Again, I was dissapointed, though I do like my giant VW Bee. I'm still mostly in the dark about Siege of Cybertron, though. Maybe since this is the older collector's line, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

BW Depth Charge.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Because Vermont is resistant to change, or maybe it just took a while to find the right spot, we finally have a Target. Having never been in a Target before, I figured I’d check the place out.

Aside from a preponderance of red trim, it’s like a K-Mart gone upscale. Anyway, the important part is their Transformer selection. They had some Cyberverse, some Bumblebee, a couple of Studio Series, and some POTP. On the up side, it had a couple of figures I was hoping to find.

POTP Bludgeon: Sadly, due to the peg not being quite thick enough, having RiD Bludgeon being able to wield Bludgeon doesn’t quite work, but the little Bludgeon is really cool.

Studio Series Ironhide: They did a really good job on this one, although some day I might get a Studio Series figure that doesn’t have slightly too tight tolerances on some of the lock in points.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

PotP Punch/Counterpunch - I have a little trouble getting the windshield halves to tab into and out of the dash. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the figure. I agree that a Primemaster shell would've made a much better accessory than a fist for a non-limb. Or, give P and CP each a weapon that combine into a seat like TM deluxes.

The best use I can make of the hand is to pop the thumbs off and use it as a jetpack. It still looks bad in car mode. But, it helps conceal the alternate bot torso.

T30 Starscream & Waspinator - Found at a thrift shop for $5. They were in a sealed card when I bought them, but when I went to open them that evening, the bubble basically fell off the cardboard. I've wondered about the possibility of adhesive failing and MISB collectors freaking out. Now, I know that can happen in as little as 5 years.

The toys themselves are good. Starscream has slightly looser ball joints than my Thundercracker, and occassionally needs reassembly, but otherwise isn't bad. I don't have this mold in Skywarp. Thinking about all the Seekers I own (G1, CHUG, T30, movie homages, etc) the only mold I own all 3 characters in is G1.

Waspinator's insect mode looks great. Bot mode is OK. Weapon mode looks like a pile of parts haphazardly thrown together, which is appropriate for Waspinator. He doesn't look good carried by Starscream, but works as a pistol for Power Charger 'Bee. And, it turns out what I thought were scratches on 'Bee were actually smudges that came off with a little nail polish remover.

TLK Legion Megatron and Dragonstorm - Found at 5 Below for $3 each. Megatron is good, but not as good as Turbo Changer Meg, who is also at 5 Below for $5.

Dragonstorm is basically a Prime/Beast Hunters Terrorcon that isn't hampered by a combining gimmick. Two of the dragon heads become the bot arms. The center head fold down to reveal the bot head. The dragon feet fold up to become the bot shins; I really like the sculpting done to pull this off.

The only down side is one of the dragon heads/bot arms popped off, I couldn't pop it back on, and now have lost it. Other than that, I like him well enough to try again if 5 Below gets any more.

Edit: I found the dragon head/bot arm. But, I still can't get it to attach properly. I even disassembled the torso to get a better grip on the ball joint. I managed to get it to rest on the ball joint, but it pops off when I move it. Plus, the pin the ball joint swivels on can't support the weight of the part. So, even if I got it to attach correctly, it wouldn't hold up in bot mode. He still looks good enough to get another one, though.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Heinrad wrote:POTP Bludgeon: Sadly, due to the peg not being quite thick enough, having RiD Bludgeon being able to wield Bludgeon doesn’t quite work, but the little Bludgeon is really cool.
Electrical tape.

Ooh, that reminds me, Kapow invoiced for Flywheels, so that's probably imminent.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Flywheels is indeed spiffy. Also picked up a spare Krok from HB and spotted a Velocitron G2 Prime at an acceptable enough price (they're starting to flood eBay now).

Handily you can pop the wings off Prime and temporarily remove the blue hatch screw to get the tail fin section off, so it's a G2 Prime with integrated trailer and no visible reminders of being an Octane retool. Stickers are still ropey but for near enough the price of a deluxe it's pretty sweet. I think maybe with some foil sticker off-cuts on the edge of the folder over shoulder pads the paint apps and stickers will balance out nicely too.

Little bit tempted by the sale price Toyhax labels but that'd wipe the shine off the price.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Handily you can pop the wings off Prime and temporarily remove the blue hatch screw to get the tail fin section off, so it's a G2 Prime with integrated trailer and no visible reminders of being an Octane retool.
Any chance of pics? That sounds like a mod I might like to make to my regular TR Prime.