The Greatest Transformer Toy Ever

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by LKW
Okay. I was wondering about that, ever since I'd heard rumor of Ramjet as a Classic. Looking at the Starscream, if had just been a repaint, Ramjet'd be crashing into even more stuff than usual... Thanks for the info!

Ramjet's confirmed : -
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/defa ... 2C4065A089

About halfway down. I rather like the look of him - much more interesting than Another Bloody Starscream.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Ah. Guess I need to look around the 'net a little more - or I don't, with helpful people like you around, Cliffjumper - thanks! And I concur - he looks quite the cool. Looks like I'll be picking up another TF...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A "cone-head" seeker that was actually designed to be a "cone-head" (i.e. original Ramjet you could flip the cone up to emulate his 'toon counterpart but it looked silly and improperly transformed).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

That's what impressed me, to be honest - it's not just a straight Starscream recolour, which is what I expected when it was announced. They'll get Dirge out of that without too much trouble too :)

Yeh, as superficial as it is, I've never been mad on the original "conehead" toys because they look wrong with the head done either way... Which is a shame, as everything else about Thrust rocks. Well, except the total lack of articulation and the cheat transformation... ;)
ColdBain
Protoform

Old Seekers

Post by ColdBain »

I do enjoy the old seekers, but what I think I enjoyed about them the most was just the presence of the other seekers as well. An old friend of mine had all six of the seekers, and seeing those all lined up on his shelf was quite a view. I'm also glad about the remoulded head for Ramjet, I think it's pretty cool, shows a commitment to the line. Cliffjumper is another easy release as well I think, but is pretty cool never the less.
I hope to see more Classics being released, but a comment has been made somewhere on this website concerning the line's status as a 'fill-in' before the movie comes. I hope this isn't the case, it seems like a lot of effort with execellent results for a 'fill-in' line.
zigzagger

Re: Old Seekers

Post by zigzagger »

[quote]Originally posted by ColdBain
I do enjoy the old seekers, but what I think I enjoyed about them the most was just the presence of the other seekers as well. An old friend of mine had all six of the seekers, and seeing those all lined up on his shelf was quite a view.

I think you hit that one right on target, strange I never thought of it that way but that just might be where the appeal of the seekers comes from. Though, some of them stood fairly well on their own, particularly Thrust and Skywarp (personally speaking of course), but actually having the whole fleet, I think is what makes them so darn special. I may not be a hard core collector my self (limited generally to the classic vehicles) my collection does include all six of the original seekers.....and I loves 'em very much, even if we do end up with half-assed transformation and articulation.
Cliffjumper

Re: Old Seekers

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by ColdBain
Cliffjumper is another easy release as well I think, but is pretty cool never the less.

I'm not keen on the silver splodges, myself, so Bumblebee will be enough to sate my curiosity on that one.

If Classics sell well I expect Hasbro will keep it going in some form, they aren't idiots. However, it's early days yet...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I also find it strange that the toy designers went out of their way to alter the Screamer mold to make a Ramjet but didn't do the same with Cliffjumper (different head, etc). Then again, 'B-Bee originally came in red and yellow too. I would have figured that Hasbro change the paint job just a little to give the two some slight distinction. The red looks hot on this mold, why not add flames, tribal design, or racer stipes... something like that (Uh-oh, I shouldn't mention "flames" huh, especially the purple kind found on a red-semi).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Flames or something else so it wasn't just another plain ol' red car would be cool, I just really don't like the execution of what they have done... Even a silver stripe up the middle would have been cool... I dunno, I'm going to wait and see if anyone reports that the paint flakes off easily...
ColdBain
Protoform

Agreed

Post by ColdBain »

On closer examination, Cliffjumper has the same head as 'ole Bumblebee. That's a little bit disappointing. Maybe I can file down his 'horns' a little bit when I get him. The car could have been slightly altered surely.
As for the new Jetfire (Skyfire, whatever he's called), the Jury is still out for me with him. He looks pretty cool, but I think I'd have to have a closer look at him in person to make a final judgement call about him.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Ah, now there's a TF worthy of this list, if it hasn't been mentioned already; G1 Valkyrie...er, I mean Jetfire. This figure will always have a warm, toasty, place in my heart. The fact that this mold has been reproduced countlessly is a telling statement of if its magnificence. Articulation that is nearly unrivaled by most TF of that period, Shockwave being a close contender. The removable battle armour is one of the best gimmicks this figure has to offer. If only Takara/Hasbro borrowed the battle armour idea for the rest of the early TF line. Takar/bro definately made this mold their own by giving Jetfire/Valkyrie a very recognizable color scheme, present in many of his recent reincarnations. The new "Stormbringer" Jetfire, I think pays well earned homage to it, in my opinion.
Prognosis; Freakin' kudos! Still incredible to this day.
ColdBain
Protoform

Jetfire

Post by ColdBain »

I just got me a box and the two styrofoam inserts for the original Jetfire toy, so now I've got a home for my old one! (Eventually, I'm going to replace him with a more 'looked after' copy of him).
ColdBain
Protoform

Keeping G1 Alive

Post by ColdBain »

Recently I acquired the Takara Anime Re-Issue of Galvatron, and as per usual I am quite impressed with the toy. What surprized me the most about the toy upon first inspection was the size, it was a lot taller than I imagined. I used to always be put off by the original Galvatron toy, just because of the colours, I simply could not see a lot of corelation to his cartoon counter part. However, having seen the recoloured version (I am not sure as to what extent they modified the mould physically) I've noticed a lot of character in him, and feel that he is actually a very execellent mould for a Galvatron toy. So I was very pleased about that.
I've managed to also acquire the Takara Transformer Collection of the Mini-Bots (Only Stepper and Soundblaster to go!) and a Hasbro Commemorative Series Rodimus Prime. I used to always love the old Rodimus Prime toy, but after getting one for my younger brother earlier this year, I realized how static he was. Hot Rod is definately better, but for the sake of owning all the Re-Issues, and Rodimus Prime (despite his Leadershp woes) was a pretty important character.
Once I look at the Mini-Bots I think I'll start to compile a list of categories for each line of Transformers from which I'd begin to collect together people's opinions on the best in each line and category. (An example of 'Line' would be, G1, or G2, and an example of category might be; in G1 'Best Mini-Bot', or in G1 'Best Base', etc).
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Re: Keeping G1 Alive

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by ColdBain
Recently I acquired the Takara Anime Re-Issue of Galvatron, and as per usual I am quite impressed with the toy. What surprized me the most about the toy upon first inspection was the size, it was a lot taller than I imagined. I used to always be put off by the original Galvatron toy, just because of the colours, I simply could not see a lot of corelation to his cartoon counter part. However, having seen the recoloured version (I am not sure as to what extent they modified the mould physically) I've noticed a lot of character in him, and feel that he is actually a very execellent mould for a Galvatron toy. So I was very pleased about that.

He also seems to have surprisingly lot of articulation. I always thought his legs were immobile, but I saw the photos at seibertron and realized that was not the case.
ColdBain
Protoform

Galvatron (again)

Post by ColdBain »

I thought that he was rather immobile as well, just looking at pictures of him. But yeah, it is surprizing to see how well articulated he is. Great toy.
Sharky
Protoform

Post by Sharky »

Best TF ever?

Robotmasters R-Balde - Best mold ever, now with kick butt paintjob. No questions about it

I just really like small but fun Tfs
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

My favorites are mp Prime, alt Mirage and Hound, classic Hot Rod, Astrotrain and Starscream, and G1 Omega
ColdBain
Protoform

I've come to a conclusion

Post by ColdBain »

Heh, I thought I lost this old thread in a sea of time! Moving house is annoying, (getting internet set up again is also annoying).

I have at long last come to a final conclusion as to what my favourite (and perhaps greatest) Transformer of all time would be. AND IT IS...

Classics Jetfire.

Everything about this toy is absolutely fun and well executed. The Jet mode is execellent, the folding wings reminiscent of the tiny G2 decepticon jets, the removeable G1 Jetfire Helmet that reveals a G1 Skyfire Face, articulation and play factor. It's an absolute gem, I would whole-heartedly place Jetfire infront of the pack!