Opinions on Energon Hot Shot + Inferno powerlinx.

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Opinions on Energon Hot Shot + Inferno powerlinx.

Post by Auntie Slag »

This is for a christmas presents idea.

Got two nephews, both into Energon. I wanted to get Energon Hot Shot & Inferno because you can combine them into a bigger robot.

Thing is, Inferno looks a bit rubbish as a toy. I don't mind Hot Shot, he looks reasonably ok, but inferno, its like "Ok, the one I like less I'll give inferno to".

So the questions:

- Is the Hot Shot/Inferno linking thing lame?
- Should I just get some different Energon characters instead?

For example, I've been checking the toy reviews both here and at Transfans and Cruellock looks like good fun for both posing and as a good fun to play with toy. That's the kind of thing I want. And with the smaller characters like Cruellock I'd go for two for each kid. Like say Cruellock and Battle Ravage, then Divebomb and er... someone else.

But if Hot Shot + Inferno are actually fun then I'd get them. Just looking for opinions of people who've bought Energon toys and get pleasure from them more than keeping them MISB or on a shelf forever and ever amen.:)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Civ

Post by Civ »

The powerlinx gimmick is rather lame in all honesty. It's a great shelf space saver but that's about it. Some TFs can pull it off but Inferno and Hot Shot are right down there with the worst looking powerlinx. Inferno is alright as a shirt but he's terrible as a pair of pants. Hot shot is the same way.

If you're looking for powerlinx TFs, then I recommend Rodimus and Prowl. Downshift is also a good one.

The omnicons and terrorcons are also pretty good. Some of my personal faves are Battle Ravage, Divebomb, Strongarm, and Arcee.

Other good Energon TFs are Starscream (he's about the same price as Inferno in my area), Scorponok, Shockblast, and Landmine.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh for f**** sake.

I mean, excellent! This is just the kind of reply I'm looking for, cheers Civ.

I'll put Divebomb and Battle Ravage down as definites then. I reckon they'd look great together as a combo pressie.

I want to get Cruellock because his alt mode looks the biz in a mini-Grimlock-Godzilla kinda way.

That leaves one more. Don't want to get Arcee as I don't think they'd appreciate her, even if she is a good toy.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well I don't own Cruellock so I don't know what he's like as a toy. There's also Insecticon and Signal Flare to play around with. Skyblast is alright but he needs better knees and I think that really hurts him in comparison with the other Omnicons/Terrorcons.

If you want someone to pair up with Cruellock, then I'd go for Starscream. In the US, he's only $3 more than the Terror/Omnicons and he's a damn good figure.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hot shot looks best by himself and Inferno looks best as a pair of pants (I think the rest of his modes are crap (shirt mode is especially garbage, since his legs just kinda dangle above his head)).

Yeah, I like all the Terrorcon molds. Divebomb's my favorite, followed by Cruellock and Battle Ravage. Insecticon's not very impressive. Omnicons are a bit disappointing. Strongarm's quite nice, Signal Flare's robot mode (sans energon weapons) is dynamite, and Arcee's cool, down to those heeled boots. Makes her look like a biker chick . . . Not too big on Skyblast.

I agree about Rodimus/Prowl. I usually put Prowl in pants mode, and use his chest as body armor for Rodimus. I find Downshift is better as a stand-alone, like Hot Shot.

As far as the powerlinx gimmick goes, it wouldn't do to give them each one, unless their parents have instilled the value of sharing in them in the most hardcore sense of the concept.

Decepticon deluxes? I'd go with Starscream and Demolisher. The decepticons kind of got the shaft with respect to the rest. Slugslinger's an ugly little imp, who can't stay together, people rave about sharkticon, but I don't see what the big deal is, and Snowcat's just lame.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I agree, Snowcat and Inferno are so boxy and simplistic. Twins separated at birth?

Strongarm doesn't do anything for me, personally. And Signal Flare appears so underwhelming. I know Sir Auros liked him in the toy review. Maybe he comes off better in real life than in pictures (I mean Sir Auros) Ha!

This is sad comedy.:\
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Strongarm is one of my favorites of the omnicons. The battle axe/gun accessory really makes him stand out.

Skyblast is overrated.

I actucally like Inferno. Espically as the top part of a powerlinx combo.

Starscream is the best of the line so far.

I also like Snowcat though so I might be crazy.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

As far as Terrorcons go, Battle Ravage and Divebomb are my favorites. Cruellock is a good toy, but, as I pointed out in the review I did of him, he looks far too much like Godzilla for my taste. As for Insecticon, I don't really know what to make of him. He's an ugly little spud, but I still like him, for some strange reason.

Omnicons, Strongarm and Arcee are the best. Signal Flare's alright. Skyblast is...passable.

When it comes to Powerlinking toys, frankly, I wouldn't bother. As Civ pointed out, it's great if your trying to save space on a shelf, but other than that it's kind of pointless. If you have your heart set on it, go Downshift, Rodimus, or Hot Shot.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

Don't forget the new Combiner basics too - the two aerialbot limbs that are out there (Sky shadow & treadshot) are pretty funky little bots, as is Sledge (one of the Energon Constructicon limbs.. I reckon he's one of the best basic figures from the current batch of toys).. I always liked Skyblast, even with the lack of knee-posability I found him to be a groovy little toy & his Energon sniper-rifle/spear thingy rocks..

As for powerlinx buddies - you can't go past the SWAT Team twopack (exclusive 2-pack with white police/SWAT repaints of Rodimus & Prowl.. If you can find it - they rock). Inferno's horrid & not worth the time (even as a shirt), Rodimus looks wierd.. then there's towline. ugh.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Hot Shot = :down:

Inferno = :up:

Inferno has great articulation considering he has the gimmick crammed into him, and he looks good in all modes (especially two infernos linked together).

Hot shot just looks like ass. I need to finish that review...
Powerlinx Inferno
Protoform

Post by Powerlinx Inferno »

How can you say "no" to inferno's giant gun?!?!?!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Powerlinx Inferno

No.

There. Easy.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

That...is...just...wrong...:wtf:
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

well, you could just be happy to see me?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Inferno is a lovely toy. His powerlinx forms are both excellent, especially the "top" mode - full of giant-guns-overhead goodness.

Hot Shot is horrible.

Cruellock, Divebomb and Battle Ravage are wonderful. I believe Insecticon is yet to surface in the U.K.

Staying at the basic pricepoint, Skyblast is nifty. Signal Flare and Strongarm are also nice.

Snowcat is great. He has skis and is two complete GI Joe references. Starscream, Rodimus and Downshift would be high up my list of recommendations.
SoundCrush
Protoform

Post by SoundCrush »

I don't have any of the Powerlinx figures, but I do have all the Terrorcons. Go with Battle Ravage and Divebomb, their good little figures. I like my Cruellock but I can't stand how his head sticks out. As for the Decepticons, go with Starscream or Sharkticon. The little turrets on Sharkticon are cool.
Skill without imagination gives us craftsmanship, which produces many useful objects such as wickwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us Modern Art.
- Tom Stoppard
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Originally posted by Illyria
I believe Insecticon is yet to surface in the U.K.

Insecticon,Arcee,Downshift,Towline,Demolishor and some 2nd wave megas and ultras has landed in the UK(and in here of course :) )
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!