What is your excuse to buy TF toys (if an excuse is needed)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Elita-One
Protoform

What is your excuse to buy TF toys (if an excuse is needed)

Post by Elita-One »

My Fiance this weekend went to our local Wal-Mart, then proceeded to call me telling me her bought a present for me that he'd know I'd love.

Me - Think it was a candle holder I pointed out to him, or some new thongs :p

Well, I met him at a local diner (I'm houssitting for 2 months, so I only see him on the weekends) and he pulls out......

Nemises Prime!

Ok, yeah, I liked it, and I told him I did, but he then again, some new thongs would have been bad either!!! :wtf: And now, Its is upon his dresser, in his "collection" :rant:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

How'd he get a Nemesis Prime at Walmart?

Anyone think this warrants moving to Toys or would you rather discuss it here in GD?
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
How'd he get a Nemesis Prime at Walmart?

Anyone think this warrants moving to Toys or would you rather discuss it here in GD?

Move it, sorry.

And maybe it was Target then, it was in a WallyMart bag!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Off to Toys then...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I claim they're for small children, so I can get them away from parents and molest them. No, really I do. I feel that I can't possibly buy anything I want in a shop because I have to fit in with other people of my age. Whenever I go to a gig, I claim I'm being dragged there. Whenever I buy a DVD, I lie about why I'm getting it. My profile here actually says I'm 12 because I'm so embarrassed and ashamed about what I like. People shouldn't admit to what they like.
Clay

Post by Clay »

"They're the material vehicles for my aesthetic interests" is my prepared answer. The normal-word version is "I like the way the look."

I suppose it's a manual stimulation, too. Whenever I have to wait somewhere, I usually catch myself disassembling and re-assembling pens or anything else handy.

There's also an engineering lense... basically, how do you take a semi-humanoid form and fold up it up into X? The kick I get out of a lot of the new transformers is how far the designs have come in the last twenty years, from what used to be little plastic bricks with one or two folding parts to something like the Alternators line.

Of course, from the psychological point of view, it would be obvious to say that I don't have a well-developed sense of adult play, such as drinking, so I resort back to something I'm more comfortable with.

Hell, I don't know... they're a nice distraction. But, anything can be a distraction, so I don't guess that's a precise answer.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

I'd buy some, but my kids would just take them........
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

My excuse is "Um...I have a webcomic."

I don't buy too many toys anymore, and they're mostly of comic book characters.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I never have to explain why I buy TF's, though the My Little Pony hair clips have raised a few eyebrows... ;)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

well,i actually use a chick trick(only on chicks).

What is it,you ask? Well,it's going to the store,look for the female employee, and when she looks at me with a wierd look cause they are toys, i just smile to her or wink. She gets all shy andred,giggling,and i go off with my product and sometimes( only when im not too tired,or anxius(sp,i know) to open the toys) i get a phone number as well.

And i don't look that good too,i just charm them for the sake of my transformers(or,um,my "other" games :glance: )
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

When I was buying armada stuff from shops, I used to tell them to wrap them up, they were for gifts etc.

Unless the owners know me, in that case I would ask them if they've got what I want.

Stores in greek aren't like the ones in america. If you ask them if they've got armada hot shot, for example, they'll say 'yes we have some transformers there'

:(
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

No one asks. If they did, I'd tell them I was a collector (and that they're damn tasty, too ;)).
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Everyone at the store thinks I'm insane already.

I need no excuse!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

*munches on Iron Hide*
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

*tastes Insecticon*
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Um...I walk in. I find the item of interest. I pay for it. I walk out.

...sometimes the cashier makes a comment. Friendly inquiries or statements, mind you. I usually just agree with it, smile, pay for said item, say thank you (this is important now! Shows proper upbringing!) and go out to my car and go home.
-Predaking-
Protoform

Post by -Predaking- »

Now that I have the financial independence to buy the TF I want I exercise that freedom as much as I can. I have no excuses to buy and collect them cuz they are worth every penny, dammit!

well maybe not those beast machines basic... but dont tell anyone ok?
Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

I don't need an excuse, if questioned at the cash register, I'll outright admit that they're for me.
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

"That's Claypool for ya; he's against a harmless drug, but for date-rape..."
"Just say "NO!" to Gonadial Irradiation." - Snake

"I would ride that pony in the most illegal and obscene way possible. " - Spengs

My want list
I need ROTS Clone Troopers
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think the last conversation of this type I had was in Argos...

"Yes, we've got four MOTU figures in stock."
"Are any of them the red one with the pointy hat? I'm after a couple for two different people...look, this one...ooo, Alternators reduced? You don't have any of these in stock? Blast."

(European Orkos had a different colour scheme to the US release. I've found sales assistants are often a lot more helpful if you don't quote product details at them—99% of the time, they aren't going to recognise an action figure name anyway, and I'm surprised Argos sell many given you have to enquire at a desk for anything other than random selection.)