POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
ganon578

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by ganon578 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Earthrise Snapdragon, Prowl, Ironhide, and Runamuck

Snapdragon as a gift, the other 3 as pre-orders that came in the mail. Snapdragon is really fun, but nothing special. Easy to go between the 3 modes, and the Headmaster functionality is good. Overall very fun figure. Prowl is great! Easily replaces the Siege version on my shelf. Ironhide is meh. So much has been reused from Siege that he's a slight disappointment. He's still pretty good, but if Siege hadn't preceded it I would think more positively about it. Runamuck is good fun. I had the original as a kid, and it's great to get a newer version that isn't an exclusive. The only issue is the front wheels (not pinned) are a little rough so they don't roll well. I'm very happy with all four figures though!

Clay

Post by Clay » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 pm

Prowl and Ironhide are a two-pack, yeah? Wasn't impressed with the look of Ironhide/Ratchet, but was happy to find Bluestreak at Walgreens about a month ago. I had thought it a remold of the Siege figure(s), but I can't actually find any parts in common between him and Barricade.

As for me, I picked up Airwave and a reissue Blaster yesterday. It's interesting that they managed to replicate both of Airwave's modes from the original and still get a distinct, squat, fun robot out of it, although I imagine the parts forming helps with that.

Wasn't intending to get Blaster, but then I remembered that I already have the Encore reissues of his cassettes, and $30 for complete, boxed G1 figures isn't bad (there's certainly better value there than in Prime's cab for $50!). I hadn't handled a Blaster in decades, so I was struck by just how many flat, smooth surfaces he has. And then back in the box he went, sitting on the shelf next to his cassettes.

ganon578

Post by ganon578 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Clay wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 pm
Prowl and Ironhide are a two-pack, yeah? Wasn't impressed with the look of Ironhide/Ratchet, but was happy to find Bluestreak at Walgreens about a month ago. I had thought it a remold of the Siege figure(s), but I can't actually find any parts in common between him and Barricade.
Yes they are. It's a shame Hasbro stuck them in an exclusive 2-pack, as I would have preferred to just get Prowl and stick with Siege Ironhide. Because of this, I'm also completely content to stick with Siege Ratchet and not get the 2-pack for the Earthrise version + a color variant of Arcee I have no interest in.

Prowl is amazingly similar to the Siege mold, but as you mentioned, entirely new.

Warcry

Post by Warcry » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:29 am

Earthrise Race Track Patrol: I got these guys two weeks ago and didn't bother to post about it, which probably tells you how exciting they weren't. Their colours are really striking, except the pink one's legs are only painted on the front, so he looks a bit cheap from any angle except dead on. But I can't even remember their names, because we've now reached the point that they're now homaging G1 characters so obscure that even I don't care about them. And since Micromasters don't really do anything, me caring about the characters is a pretty big factor in me caring about the toys.

Beast Wars Injector: This ghastly thing, on the other hand, I can't get enough of. I tracked one down on eBay for a reasonable price, and when it arrived I was really happy to find that (one stress mark on a bug leg aside) it was as good as new. The beast mode is actually, legitimately cool. It's ugly, sure, but it's ugly in a "scary monster" sort of way. If I got attacked by an ugly fishbee like this while playing a fantasy video game, I wouldn't think it was out of place at all. It looks nasty and poisonous and deadly, just like a Predacon air commander should be.

The robot mode, on the other hand, is complete Dadaist nonsense. About 45% head, with arms and legs twice as long as its torso, and a face that looks like someone sawed off the bottom half of a normal Transformer's head and just shoved a bunch of teeth in as a replacement. I don't think I can adequately describe it because I can barely understand what I'm seeing when I look at it. I can totally understand why Takara took one look at the guy and decided to make him a cosmic horror working for Unicron.