Lost Light discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Scorponok didn't have their insignia anywhere on his body (nor a Decepticon one for that matter). Is that relevant do you think? They usually make sure you see people's insignia's in this comic, unless they have to rub Scorponok somewhere significant.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And as a random fact I learnt today, The Woman From The Chase is a fan (and indeed I'm told replied to one of my MTMTE tweets previously!):

https://twitter.com/anne_hegerty/status ... 1912366081
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I already knew that: she liked a tweet of mine about MTMTE a while back and it blew my mindhole.

Also, yeah, good issue and that, I totally keep up to date with this forum . . .
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Lost Light 10!

Well that was pretty much pushing all the right buttons.

What was very clever here was the sense of unease created from us knowing what was wrong without the characters needing to act all that suspiciously. It wound up as tense as piano wire, which isn't something I think I normally associate with James' writing, but he pulled it off very well here, making it a nice Halloween period issue as well.

What was also impressive was that it felt James really wanted to establish Getaway as a complete bastard to counter all the "He did nothing wrong" stuff we've had over the last 20 months, but again, doesn't go over the top with it (see the attempts by the DS9 producers to destroy any sympathy for Dukat in season 7), he's entirely in character and just as off-settlingly creepy as he was before, it's just this time he's unfettered in being able to follow through on the implied threats.

Good work on the Protectobots as well (but no one will ever care about Rook), Mirage and Hound of all characters as well.

And all sorts of good new interesting questions as well. Getaway clearly has been mucking about with everyone's memories even more, but how much and why not do the same to Riptide? What's going on with the brains in jars?

And the ending. From an editorial viewpoint, perhaps slightly unfortunate in coming so soon after Optimus Prime 9 did a "And the whole thing was only in their heads" twist (though the difference here is at least most of these events had really happened previously), and I twigged a couple of pages beforehand but it was still a great sf twist with a good deal of whollop to it.

Even if my initial reaction was "But what is it?"

Whilst it would have been prohibitive for the physical copy, what fun would it have been if they'd repeated the entire issue on the digital. Several times.

(By strange coincidence the As It Occurs To Me I saw recorded the end of last year also did the loop thing at the end and the released version did repeat the entire thing)

On art, Jack Lawrence was much more into the swing of it with the break meaning things feel less rushed and it was helped by them not letting that terrible inker near the book again. Still not at the Milne level, but much more its own thing and had that solid if not sexy Jeff Anderson feel.

Just a shame issue 11 apparently isn't out till the end of November!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

This feels old school MTMTE again! Getaway is doing a Ramsay Bolton. He really is a sick puppy. The issue felt very irksome the moment I realised what was really going on, and I love the storyline no matter how disgusting it is. The 'teethmarks' comment keeps playing on my mind and I guess that will only be revealed over the next two issues.

As despicable as Getaway is, I wonder if he's fully in charge? Tyrest/Star Saber put him in the cell with Rodimus and co. Do all of Getaway's deeds loop back to Tyrest in some way, or rather the person Tyrest is working for?

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Yes, good comic.
I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Read and enjoyed. A horrible idea well executed and the "teethmarks" thing is playing on my mind too. Urgh. Jack Lawrence's art was great here and again, Joanna's colours were fantastic. Nice and bold where they needed to be and subdued and dark where they weren't. Loved it.
Summerhayes

Lost Light #11

Post by Summerhayes »

Another one of them comicbooks came out about the robots and I came here for my monthly lurk to see what you lot had to say, but apparently the answer is nowt.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Overall, I'm liking the story here and the tension that comes with everything Getaway does now that he has power.
That said, there were some reallyon-the-nose panels here."Fake news" indeed!? I want to post a couple of them on facebook just to see some classic Cliffy reactions.
I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...that's because I haven't picked up a copy yet. And am being good and avoiding the spoiler box so it's a surprise for later.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm not used to being first, normally all the digital boys and girls have read it before my local comicbook shop even opens.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Oh I liked that. I liked that a lot. And it's nice we can get shameless political stuff, especially after the G.I. Joe writer was Officially Not Sacked For Having A Political Opinion On Twitter (an at best really badly expressed opinion to be sure, but how that entire thing was handled makes everyone involved look a tit).

I think it helps that the analogy is an underlying key part of the story, it's not like the old Joe comics where characters would just stop in the middle of the action to give us Hama's thoughts on countries America was at ar with up to 40 years earlier).

And it's just a really, dark sinister issue. Getaway was already in the deep end, but seeing how his own insecurities and bitterness pushes him further and further along and how after being a master manipulator for so long he's met his match in Froid adds all sort of tension to the issue. Even Atomizer was squirming at the end.

And after a rocky road getting there, it felt like Jack Lawrence has hit his groove on the art, all solid strong stuff and the reused Milne pages didn't stand out as starkly as they would have in, say, issue 7 with its Inks of Death.

Only two negatives: First, Getaway cheerfully explaining how he used to nudge gun during the issue 50 talk with Rodimus infront of everyone was incredibly, incredibly stupid of him and strangely tactless now we know none of them bar Atomizer was in on the full plan. He's actually damn lucky they didn't turn on him there and then.

Second, as per my long standing worry, it does feel like it's going to be a bit too easy for the two crews to reconcile. They were all lied to, mislead and are now as much victims of Getaway as Rodimus and company.

But this really was the series at its best, assuming it keeps up the pace this three parter is going to be a belter.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yes, a jolly good entry with only the Nudge Gun announcement being a bit daft as you say, but perhaps in-keeping with Getaway's showing off at that time. He's so charmingly awful. I love him. This is how I wish Starscream was written. And yes, I loved the look on Atomizer's face when he realised just how far Getaway was going. Loved the bit with the 'undecideds' being fed to Sunder and that you could see Getaway thinking that through and doing the maths. Great stuff. Top job by EVERYONE.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Skyquake87 wrote:Great stuff. Top job by EVERYONE.
This is wonderful positivity :lol:
I like bears.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

He's psychosomatic (that boy needs therapy)!

Wow, he's gone too far, but I love him shooting Thunderclash repeatedly in the head and calling him a glorified trophy cabinet! I can still see Getaway's side from a wonky point of view. Megatron has killed almost everyone these people know, loved, fought beside.

If Skids is Bond, then Getaway's a pretty awesome Alec Trevelyan.

And he hates Megatron so much (re: the panel where he shouts the order to get Megatron off screen). I get the feeling that before Getaway receives his just desserts we're going to find out something infinitely tragic from his past that'll make us see why he's so driven to get rid of Megatron, more than anyone else is on the Lost Light.

A really fantastic issue, this. Proper MTMTE. And stupidly it took me until the second read to smile at 'Boaty McBoatface' :D

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Red Dave Prime

Lost Light #12

Post by Red Dave Prime »

An issue originally scheduled for November just about squeaks in before the end of the year, featuring 2 artists and 3 colourists. Not sure if that was a design choice or by necessity but.... SPOILER THOUGHTS

It's an ok issue. Like much of Lost Light so far, things feel a little rushed but given the urgency of the actions in the issue some of that is by design. Some of that isn't though and in particular the star sabre reveal feels very rushed. Unless I missed something in the previous 2 issues, I can't think of anytime Getaway mentions being in contact with him and its odd that the lost light has travelled a huge distance but Star Sabre is able to rendezvous with them at short notice. Given how long Roberts seeds some things, this feels very out of place and reminds me a lot of Overlords cameo in the season 2 finale. At least here it looks like Star Sabre will stick around.

That gripe out of the way, also have to talk about the art - it seems under par to me. Maybe there were schedule conflicts or maybe re-writes / draws but neither artist puts there best foot forward. Lawrence reverts back to the more comical style from the early issues and its a step down from his work in the last issue. Griffiths work is simply below his standard. Also did not like the colouring of the Griffiths section - that whole part reminded me of the Galvatron Heart of Darkness mini (it's not that bad, just reminds me of it)

You might get the feeling I didn't like this issue but it's actual an ok to good issue. Some good moments overall and potentially some major deaths going on here (given that we have a small time jump as well as the discovery of cybertophia it is possible that some / all of these will be cancelled out which would be a mis step to me) Roberts keeps some interesting ideas floating about with the scavengers and the Getaway stuff is dark. We really never knew how awful a bot he was. The flipside to this is that it feels like the subtlety of the character is lost. He is an out and out psychotic bad guy by the end of this issue but I thought his justifiable mutiny back in season 2 was more interesting. Manipulative sure, but what he's doing in the last 3 issues is up there with any big bad we've come across.

Other characters get some nice moments too with First Aid doing nicely as everyday hero, reminds me of ratchet in the Furman run. Thunderclash continues to be revealed as all hype, Star Sabre is vicous as hell and Atomizer gets a (rushed) redemption point. But Getaway is the clear star. The subtlety is lost but the megalomania thats coming to the fore is equally interesting. His comeuppance should be good.
inflatable dalek

The first thing to note is that, for me at least the art just isn't very good this month. After really hitting his groove on the opening two parts of this story, Lawrence's work felt a lot more basic and the normally solid Andrew Griffith's pages looked like he started drawing them as I began downloading the comic. It feels like everyone was rushing desperately to meet the deadline on an issue that still came out a month late. The worst of all worlds.

And I think that affected the storytelling in places. I've no idea how Riptide didn't get eaten, and James has already had to clarify on Twitter only three guys actually died in this issue despite it seeming like a bloodbath (which means no doubt the same people complaining right now about him being a death machine will be complaining about fake out deaths when this becomes obvious).

As for the story, I think the interlude, though perfectly serviceable set up, knocked it down a peg or two from the rest of the story, pulling out from the very intense and macabre environment of the Lost Light meant the creeping sense of unease didn't built as well as it might.

On the flipside, and unlike my learned friend Mr Dave above, I love the characterisation of Getaway and the fact he's slipped down that path to the point the façade is now all gone and he is basically entirely unhinged. Arguably less subtle, but it's a progression that works entirely for me. Everything about him (and poor Atomizer) was top draw stuff.

The Protectobot stuff... well, first up, I've seen complaints Defensor went down too easy, but it's worth remembering he had a dead leg.

I've also seen folk really hate the death of Rook, I'm assuming more for the potential in the character rather than an undying love for the guy himself. And whilst it feels born from a (general at IDW, after all this was approved editorially) loathing of Combiner Wars and how this unwanted upstart was shoved into the comics with no choice (another sign of which is the climax depends on no one remembering Mirage is a combiner limb), I think that was exactly the choice Atomizer would make in that situation. The bloke he doesn't know.

More problematic is it being shrugged off by his actual friends, though that may be because the time frame of how long they were flying about in that shuttle with him (which could be anything from days up to two years in-fiction) is rather unclear.

I suppose the thing that slightly buggered the idea of the team needing a new limb (other than the happy coincidence of Ambulon's body still being aboard and fixed) is there's a whole very good episode of the cartoon where Defensor doesn't do too badly with only one arm.

I did love Mirage's G2 homage death though.

And though perhaps a bit rushed, the return of Star Sabre and arrival at Cybertopia is welcome, really feels like we're hitting an end game for, if not the series as a whole (I certainly hope not!)then its first big era we've been travelling across for, what, five or six years now?

Overall, some odd stumbles but still solid and as a whole I think this has been a very, very good arc.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

The first issue of MTMTE was January 2012 so it is 6 years old come the new year.

Interesting to read about it only being three deaths for this issue. I assume than that the proctobots survived being gunned to pieces. I suppose that's fair enough as we've seen (and been misled) by similar with Cyclonus. In both cases though we are looking at really misleading art. It really looks like they are being slaughtered.

The control Getaway has is also a curious issue. He seems to be, em, getting away with a load of really nasty stuff. And regardless of whether you prefer subtle Getaway or Maniac Getaway, its been a drastic change, but he seems to have huge control over the ship. This got me to thinking that it can't just be a combination of the nudge gun and some people who haven't been fully filled in. So is it possible that Froid and Sunder are much more involved and possibly in control than what even Getaway knows? There's the small issue with them gaining 4 minutes of time when they exit the warren and it made me think that is it possible that Getaway is in his own personal loop and in the real world Sunder is feasting on the whole crew? Getaway himself would be such a feast for the psycho.

Another thing is the discovery of Cyberutopia seemed a bit too easy. Given Tyrest knew of the Warrens and was looking for Cyberutopia, surely he would have found it already unless this is all part of a head f**k on Getaway courtesy of Foid.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I enjoyed it. I also didn't pick up on any issues with the art. I was quite sleepy though, this is a busy week in hospitality. I'm gonna reread the trilogy and get back to you . . .
I like bears.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

On the art front, I wouldnt say Lawrences stuff was bad, its his style that I dont gel with. But it had been very good the last 2 issues. This felt like a drop back into his comfort zone

The griffiths stuff is also not that bad, it just looks rushed and not his usual quality. Some of the panels are sloppy and the first pic of misfire is really bad.

Poor art? no, but maybe not up to standard.
inflatable dalek

Lost Light Issue 13.

Alex Milne is back! And the most detail heavy artist gets a story where everyone is cramped in tight. I think he's the only IDW artist who could have drawn the claustrophobia so well by just ramming everything in.

And it plays up the setting very well, starting like it's going to be a "Breather" comedy issue before getting darker and more serious as it goes along, with the characters so well established by now I could almost believe they tick along by themselves.

Lots of lovely little touches, from Whirl and Cyclonus, through Red Alert pissing about with the cloak to Swerve being a heroic idiot.

And thanks to Podcast Maximus star Marian, I now like the idea none of what happens on the ship is real, but their worst fears being brought to life rather like the unreality bubbles in Red Dwarf VI (and we all saw the White Hole nod I take it?), meaning they're approaching something that's being protected...

Most obvious evidence for this is Fort Max doesn't react to what's in the ground as if it's a pile of ashes and what Cyclonus thinks he is being told doesn't automatically line up with death by Fangry.

Marian coming up with this theory then created some debate about the number of telepathic and mental summons and projections and hallucinations that have been in the series since the NAILS were summoned back to Cybertron, the most obvious precedent to this idea being Spotlight: Hoist. Does all of this mean anything? Or is it a total coincidence?

My theory is whatever is affecting Ten at the end is whatever makes Grimlock smarter than he acts when no one is looking. Either that or Ten was originally a Circle of Light guy from the Drift mini-series. If anyone remembers any of them, let me know.

Only real flaw here is I don't really understand what happened at the start, did Fort Max and Red Alert go barging into Necroworld and kill all the Decepticons for no good reason? They were expecting rescue weren't they? What made them snap if they attacked first? And why was Scrounge the only Autobot in evidence?

All in all, very nice though.