Rewatched season 1 of the G1 cartoon

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I must be the only person who just doesn't see the annoying-ness of Wheelie in the series. Daniel I can at least kind of understand, but even then it's limited to stupid crap like him wailing like a toddler in that meteor episode.
inflatable dalek wrote:That thread reminds me of the chap who hated Revenge of the Fallen so much he was prepared to devote hours of his life to re-editing it to make it "Watchable". Not good, just bearable. Because Stan Bush can do that.
That's just sad. I mean, any sane person would know nothing can make Revenge of the Fallen watchable. :D

Not even if Megan Fox had spent the entire duration of the film topless.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Have put together an Official TFArchive Drinking Game for anybody who watches Headmasters in future.

Rules as follows:

Drink every time.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Ah, Masterforce, you beautiful piece of batshit insanity.

The heartwarming tale of a group of aliens who pretend to be humans to befriend children and lure them into fighting on their behalf.

Could really do without the opening credits and ad bumpers that heavily feature characters and concepts that won't be introduced for about another dozen episodes though.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Have you made it to the one where the Decepticon kicks the puppy and it dies? It's pretty early on, I think. It's one of my favorite moments from the series.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Clay wrote:Have you made it to the one where the Decepticon kicks the puppy and it dies? It's pretty early on, I think. It's one of my favorite moments from the series.
Not a clue, my brain is instinctively filtering out what's happening as noise.

I mean I *want* to pay attention and read the subtitles and follow the story, but it's like watching a snail try to breakdance.

[EDIT] Oh, no wait, there it is.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

The level of sexual harassment/objectification that Minerva is being subjected to by her peers is really ****ing uncomfortable, it must be said.

I know it's the late 80s and also Japan, but still.

Also, how did Cab learn to drive and why hasn't Shuta been arrested for impersonating a police officer?

"Oh hey, there's a cop car and a fire engine in a rush, let's follow them! Oh wait, they've stopped for milkshakes... and are being driven by children?"

Also Phoenix just called his whip thing "snake rod" and I just can't.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

So I've been watching Headmasters myself and now that I'm no longer comparing it to the Transformers cartoons came before it at all, but instead to all the other Japanese super robot shows that came before it (all of which I must've watched in the time between the last time I saw this and now), I've come to realize how bad it really is.

It's badness has mostly to do with just how bland it is. The constant, pointless fighting, the awkward dialogue between the fights to justify even more fighting...the closest thing to anything feeling like actual drama is when Wheelie is banging a console with his fists over Decepticons about to blow up Cybertron, and even that is hard to even notice amidst all the blandness surrounding it.

Speaking of things being drowned out, I've also noticed an odd bit of subtlety going on with the story; something I never noticed before, probably because everything else is explicitly stated in dialogue to a point of absurdity, but Vector Sigma suddenly making this super alloy is actually picking up on the plot thread introduced way back in episode 1, where the instability caused by the Matrix energy meant the Autobots could no longer control it, and since it's now running on it's own, it's decided to start making this alloy regardless of the consequences.

So yes, I've just watched part two of The One Where They Blow Up Cybertron and I have to admit, in some way the whole story feels almost like an unbelievably harsh comeback towards Rodimus himself; after all, the story is basically a retake on Fight or Flee, where he made the same decision, but with Cybertron instead of some planet we'd never even heard of before - and much like to him then, Fortress and Scorponok do not consider Cybertron "home" the same way the old characters did, so they really don't have the same desire to protect it.

Hmm. Maybe I should've made the "Tetsuro watches Headmasters" thread on TFW2005 after all.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Could really do without the opening credits and ad bumpers that heavily feature characters and concepts that won't be introduced for about another dozen episodes though.
****'s sake, the episode directly before Super Ginrai's debut features a closing bumper for... yep, Super Ginrai. At least the "next episode" preview's title card keeps him in shadow, but nope, it's already blown.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Okay, the dialogue may be largely atrocious and a lot of the character interaction, er, "quirky", but Masterforce is infinitely more watchable than Headmasters was.

As in I can sit through half a dozen episodes in one block without wanting to kill myself or random strangers.

Almost as if actually having a (sort of) coherent plot and not having to deal with loose ends from the preceding series helps it.

Sure, it feels like certain things show up out of nowhere and the character decay on the Destron Pretenders is hilarious, but at least it's confident enough to decide what it's going to do and then just stick it out.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

One episode into Victory and it's really astonishing how it takes the gambit of making everything so terrible (the plot, the dialogue, the off-the-shelf characterisation, the Brainmaster/Brestforce concepts, literally everything about Dinoforce) that you can just shrug it all off, disengage brain and just enjoy it as a fun actioner.

It's a risky strategy, but it pays off.

Opening and closing credits are aces though.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Am up to the episode where Hellbat turns up and, to be perfectly honest, I've not been paying the slightest bit of attention to the subtitles for several episodes now, but it doesn't seem to be impacting my understanding of what's going on at all...
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Victory is probably best watched without any translation at all. At least then you can pretend the Autobots have some kind of personalities.

...okay, maybe that'd be a bit of a stretch. But at least they'd come off a great deal less smug about their righteousness.

You know, it's entirely Victory's fault it took me so long to ever start watching the Braves, because some idiot called them a "spiritual successor" to Victory, but they're actually at least a kadzillion times better. Even at their blandest they're still nowhere close to the blandness of Victory.

Whoever said that was probably the same idiot who claimed Daitarn 3 was a spiritual successor to Zambot 3.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

This has some of the shittest "comedy" I've ever seen, and I've sat through Harry Hill routines.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

To be honest, I think Victory's target audience is supposed to be very small children. Like, much younger than the average shounen. Think Rescue Bots but for Japanese kids.

I mean, Transformers in Japan in general (at least at the time) was aimed at a much younger demographic than it was in the west, but I think Victory demonstrates it most explicitly.

...not saying it's not crap tho. Never seen Rescue Bots but I'm pretty sure it's still miles better than Victory.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Tetsuro wrote:Think Rescue Bots

[...]

Never seen Rescue Bots
Cool story. Thanks for the input.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Wow, what an amazing comeback, sure had me.

Are you suggesting that Rescue Bots isn't aimed at a younger demographic than Prime?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I've seen neither Prime nor Rescue Bots, so can't comment.

What I have seen is you compare Victory to Rescue Bots, then in the very same post admit that you've not seen Rescue Bots, therefore rendering your entire comparison worthless.

Maybe you can go on to compare it to some other things you've not seen?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

The only comparison I made was the age demographic. You don't need to see it to do that, just like I don't need to watch Thomas the Tank Engine to know it's aimed at the same age group as Postman Pat.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Completely at a tangent now, but I just saw Cosmic Rust, randomly.

The one where Perceptor has conveniently made an anti-rust spray ("corro-stop") right around the time that the Decepticons get a rusting disease. What luck.

To be fair, it's a funny episode.

Glaring error that I never noticed before, is the fact that Perceptor uses the anti-rust stuff on the Statue of Liberty!!??? Huh?

I thought it was common knowledge that the Statue of Liberty is made of copper, and when copper rusts it turns green, hence why the Statue of Liberty is green.

So the question is: why would anyone want to 'un-rust' the Statue of Liberty, considering its green hue is now pretty much iconic?

Also, if Perceptor has just un-rusted the Statue, why does it still look green in the episode, instead of reverting to natural coppery-brown?
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

To be fair, that's not as bad as Doctor Who treating Lady Liberty as if she were stone and therefor could be a weeping angel...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!