Rewatched season 1 of the G1 cartoon

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Doing Headmasters now.

I'm three minutes into the first episode and immediately regretting this decision.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Doing Headmasters now.

I'm three minutes into the first episode and immediately regretting this decision.
Funny thing, I absolutely despised Headmasters the first time around, but it's kinda grown on me since.

But that's probably just because Victory lowered the bar so much.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I don't mind Headmasters.

Dub for the win of course.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Yeah, I've only seen this once before. I got to the point where Fortress decides that Wheelie's more important than the Master Sword and couldn't take anymore.

That time out was the dub, which at least had comedy value to distract from the plot. This time out is the Metrodome subbed version and is "holy ****" head-through-the-table "you actually ****ing what" bad.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

"Well Optimus Prime died again and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. It's very sad. Sorry what? Oh yeah of course we can rebuild Blaster in a new colour."

Rodimus definitely did that on purpose.

Oh and hey look, Battle Beasts.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Yeah, I've only seen this once before. I got to the point where Fortress decides that Wheelie's more important than the Master Sword and couldn't take anymore.
That's not even the part that bothered me the most - it's the fact that he knew there was a freakin' rescue attempt in the progress, and he still didn't try to buy Chromedome some time by swapping the giant floppy disk for a fake.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Welllllllll, there is Cameron.
And all of the GOP Presidential Candidates which is turning into a fascist, even Nazi-like party of racist Bible thumpers with Trump now going full fascist with his anti-Mexican and anti-Muslim stances. Honestly I would take Cameron over any of the GOP nutballs.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I'm not sure what the worst part of this series is - Daniel being written like a five year old or literally every other single thing.

Gotta admit, never saw it coming that the Star TV dub was the only thing that made this shit even remotely watchable.
inflatable dalek

The subs aren't actually that different from the dub to be honest, put both on at once and they'll be identical for long stretches bar the odd bonkers moment. They're both basically literal translations without much flair. It's the performances that make the dub, God bless them.

Headmasters, unlike the other two which use fan made subs, also has some mistakes in it the Star TV people would have been embarrassed of. They never accidentally slapped the wrong script on large chunks of an episode for starts.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:The subs aren't actually that different from the dub to be honest, put both on at once and they'll be identical for long stretches bar the odd bonkers moment. They're both basically literal translations without much flair. It's the performances that make the dub, God bless them.
Gonna be honest, didn't realise the dubs were on this set. I tried cycling through the audio tracks on the first episode and the only non-Japanese I could find was the commentary.

This is now much more tolerable. I mean it's still terrible, but at least it now has comedy-value audio.
Headmasters, unlike the other two which use fan made subs, also has some mistakes in it the Star TV people would have been embarrassed of. They never accidentally slapped the wrong script on large chunks of an episode for starts.
Yeah, I seem to remember that Mr McFeely went through and proofread them all, corrected all the mistakes and then they went ahead and just used the unproofed versions anyway. The swines.
inflatable dalek

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Gonna be honest, didn't realise the dubs were on this set. I tried cycling through the audio tracks on the first episode and the only non-Japanese I could find was the commentary.

This is now much more tolerable. I mean it's still terrible, but at least it now has comedy-value audio.
Be warned, Headmasters is the only one to have them though (I think the Oz sets have it on selected episodes for Masterforce and all of Victory).

Yeah, I seem to remember that Mr McFeely went through and proofread them all, corrected all the mistakes and then they went ahead and just used the unproofed versions anyway. The swines.
At least they haven't gone as insane as the American release which apparently fill the subs with IDW references.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:At least they haven't gone as insane as the American release which apparently fill the subs with IDW references.
It doesn't really make much difference if he's a Phase Six Officer or Ninja Consultant, nobody recognising him because he's gone a bit shadowy is still a crock of shit.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Yeah, I seem to remember that Mr McFeely went through and proofread them all, corrected all the mistakes and then they went ahead and just used the unproofed versions anyway. The swines.
And what's worse, Madman didn't fix them either, so R4 is no-go if you want fixed subs. So basically you're stuck with three choices for subs; these, the ones with IDW terminology painfully shoehorned into them...

...and the TV-Nihon ones.

I'd rather just stick to the broken ones.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Right, so this whole Cybertron gets blown up thing.

Vector Sigma, the all-knowing font of everything, decides to come up with a super-strong alloy. Surely knowing what would result from it. I think the Plasma Energy Chamber idea was probably a better play for it to make. I mean if it wanted Rodimus to just **** off and explore space, why not just tell him?

"Fortress Maximus, you're in charge now. I'm going for a walk, I may be some time. But I'm taking the Matrix with me, because **** you. Arcee, sorry, I know how you feel about me, but no girls allowed. You stay here and babysit Wheelie and Daniel."

BUT ANYWAY.

Scorponok. What the ****'s with him being in shadow all the time, regardless of light source? Is it a thing he can do? Why does he do it when it's only him and the other Decepticon Headmasters? There's no point him hiding his identity from them. Nor Galvatron. Nor anyone, to be perfectly ****ing honest.

It's not as if he's secretly one of the other pieces on the board and he needs to preserve his true identity. And it's not as if there's any benefit in hiding him from the audience beyond "ooh, this guy's a bit mysterious."

I mean at least Fort Max's giant head mode made sort of sense. "I like to control the spaceship in this mode". Yeah, it kills the big reveal later on, but at least there's an internal logic insomuch as it's a thing he'd plausibly do.

Scorponok being in shadow all the time makes no sense from an internal continuity perspective or from a narrative standpoint.

**** EVERYTHING.

Yes, I'm still only about ten episodes into this mess. I'm not happy.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I found Headmasters was at it's best when S1/2 Autobot cars were just making random background cameos. The rule of thumb is the more central the Headmasters are the more utterly intolerable every moment of the series is, so by about episode 10 it's peaked.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Scorponok being in shadow all the time makes no sense from an internal continuity perspective or from a narrative standpoint.
It does, however, make sense from a melodramatic standpoint.

Not that it excuses his ability to be completely concealed by shadow even in a fully lit room.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

But... but when he finishes his transtector he just stops being in shadow with no comment or explanation or reaction or oh for ****'s sake rewatching this is definitely going to make my top twenty stupidest things I've ever done.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I think they were trying to imitate Blofeld's reveal in You Only Live Twice with the way we first see him properly when he simply spins around in his chair.

Not that it works or anything.

At least he's voiced by Banjo Ginga.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Still fighting my way through this. Bee planets, twin planets, swapping heads makes us more powerful... it's still ****ing terrible, but I know I've passed the halfway mark and eventually this'll end.

Watching with both subs and dub, which means I get two competing sets of English dialogue, in many instances competing strongly for which is more terrible.

Are we all reading All-Star Section 8?

[EDIT] Also it's an odd inversion that the good guy has a sword while the villain's primary weapon is a shield. There's probably some weird commentary that could be inferred from it, but I doubt anybody involved in writing this had any understanding of thematic subtext.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Still fighting my way through this. Bee planets, twin planets, swapping heads makes us more powerful... it's still ****ing terrible, but I know I've passed the halfway mark and eventually this'll end.

Watching with both subs and dub, which means I get two competing sets of English dialogue, in many instances competing strongly for which is more terrible.

Are we all reading All-Star Section 8?

[EDIT] Also it's an odd inversion that the good guy has a sword while the villain's primary weapon is a shield. There's probably some weird commentary that could be inferred from it, but I doubt anybody involved in writing this had any understanding of thematic subtext.
You think Headmasters is bad, Masterforce is even worse!
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.