Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Ex-RID had a creative team story so far instead of letters, 51 had nowt. But Twitter is the worst method for asking questions, because it's 140 characters. I had to super shrink down my "James, why do you kill off characters then bring them back because I feel it cheapens the emotional impact of the supposed death when they're up and kicking" question to "why did Cyclonus come back" and the impact is lost. A proper question and answer page every few months would be good, hell throw them in the trades or hardback covers, along with annotated scripts, etc. like bonus material on a DVD
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

If I could have one piece of bonus anything it would be a child's plush toy of Whirl replete with sharp edges and a pull string, featuring his wonderful comments:

"Look, this is my sincere face"

"The cheeky little scamp"

"Let's just say we were both in the wrong, particularly you, and move on"

"If I'd known that's the best you've got, I'd have said something genuinely offensive"

"Its a trick, pull the trigger"!

"No one cares, no one cares what you have to say"!

"Seven good-looking Mechs & Riptide just exploded onto the street. We need a good explanation"

"If Rodders & the gang aren't dead they'll be pinning their hopes of rescue on you and me. Mainly me".

"Note to self: don't beat up prisoners"

Ah, boundless Whirl love makes me happy!

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'd buy one:)

...unless it turns out to be one of those Funko Pop Vinyl things that have erupted like pox all over everywhere. Horrible things with black dead eyes (or have they just had their eyes gouged out with a spoon?)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Patapsco wrote:I wouldn't worry about Ten, he falls under Roberts patented "Characters never really die because reasons" folder. But wait, did a Decepticon death squad really just fall back because a mutated Turbofox was being threatened? Really?
mm-hmm. Very Hinky. (bonus ten TFA points if you can tell me what film thats from because I, for the life of me, cant remember)

The Humanizing of the DJD continues. Not sure where I stand with it. Also - hostage situations dont work if you have every the enemy surrounded surely?

pick pick pick pick pick....
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

It's only three pages but it looks like some of the literary gymnastics needed to extricate the crew from the most dire of situations are being enacted. Russell T Davies would be proud
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Feel it would have worked better if at the end of the last issue instead of Drift and Ratchet standing there if they were on the ships lowered platform, scoop up ten and escape quickly - obviously after Ravage finds them and tells them were Ten is.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

No, you can't have all that at the end of the last issue because the "fandom" had to wet their undercrackers at just the reveal of Ratchet and Drift being back. Tacking on a few extra pages just underwhelms that simple SQUEEEEEE moment and torches 1000s of slash fiction pieces
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

My version would still have provided a satisfying Squeee. Just less convuluted escape that doesn't make the decepticons look a bit shit.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Again, it's a preview but... there are 400 odd Decepticons on the planet, including 5 who have polished off two Phase Sixers and the 200 odd crew of the alt Lost Light without breaking a sweat. Why are they suddenly crippled with Gee Wun TV show incompetence?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Again, mmm-hmm.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

More thoughts later, but I really want this arc to be over. Now
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Red Dave Prime wrote:mm-hmm. Very Hinky. (bonus ten TFA points if you can tell me what film thats from because I, for the life of me, cant remember)

The Humanizing of the DJD continues. Not sure where I stand with it. Also - hostage situations dont work if you have every the enemy surrounded surely?

pick pick pick pick pick....
The Fugitive, starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ah thank you. Remember it now. One of those things that popped into my head and I just could not place.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

So, read and re-read.

Think this one will cause much debating. Without spoiling, I think it was fun but the feeling of over-egging reaches a bit of a high here (once you read it, you'll know exactly at which point I'm referring to). Still, some really nice scenes and images to go with the above and also one bit at the end which I am eager to discuss in a few hours once a few more of you are up to speed.

Thumb stuck in the middle for me.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Having seen the initial hysterial reaction in the usual places, I expected big things. Instead I got another classic example of Roberts being completely and utterly unable to kill a single character off, a death which adds nothing except gives Roberts a convenient excuse to have Deathsaurus bugger off with his troops - after all Tarn did to Kaon exactly what Megatron did that caused Deathsaurus to desert in the first place. Even the dialogue between Tarn and Megatron felt stilted and forced, plus we get the reveal that, yup, Optimus has essentially poisoned Megs into pacifism so there hasn't been a real change of heart.

A bad issue
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ok, spoilers are in my response so look away if you have to.

Patapsco wrote:Instead I got another classic example of Roberts being completely and utterly unable to kill a single character off,
I'm a bit yes and no. I actually am interested in who brought Overlord(possible being someone we know or someone new) but I felt the introduction was a bit too similar to last issues with ratchet and drift. As for Roberts no-kill policy, I dont really mind. Overlord was never confirmed dead and even back when issue 16 came out many of us were certain that he didnt look destroyed, just deactivated. I think there was always an intention to bring him back (cant say the same with rewind so far)

And just as a personnel complaint, I found that the initial re-intro was a bit dull. Cool that we had a smackdown between 2 phase sixers and I did like the needling near the end but overall, it seems a bit overkill to see him immediately side with the cons. How cool would it have been for Overlord to save Megatron on the condition that he wants megatron to be fighting fit for a final showdown. It didnt fit Overlords ideals that he would want to take out an ailing megs. I always got the idea that he wanted a final one on one with a fully powered megs to prove he was better. But that could just be my take on the situation.
death which adds nothing except gives Roberts a convenient excuse to have Deathsaurus bugger off with his troops - after all Tarn did to Kaon exactly what Megatron did that caused Deathsaurus to desert in the first place
Gah! This was exactly what went through my head. Now, its still possible that we see the fall out come the next issue (which would even the fight a bit for the Autobots) but even without the deathsauras issue, this felt really contrived - the whole set-up of the pet being taken hostage and that being the thing to send Tarn somewhat over the edge.

Was a very cool looking panel though.
Even the dialogue between Tarn and Megatron felt stilted and forced, plus we get the reveal that, yup, Optimus has essentially poisoned Megs into pacifism so there hasn't been a real change of heart
I thought that scene was fine and I loved Tarns rage and that here we had a case where he did fully intend to kill megs - if Overlord hadnt appeared, Megs was done. I also like the idea that the drugs are helping megatron - its more interesting than the usual narrative that these things take. It may or may not be a genuine change of heart but it could also be that Megatron had something wrong with him after the Brainstorm incident (and remember, although the operation wasnt complete there was some work done on his brain before that) and thats what made him such a rage monster - its possible the fools energon is helping balance his system so his true personality has returned.

Overall, I dont think this is a bad issue but it does have some very debatable choice in plot and development.

We also get another whopper of a letters page. Rejoice all ye cynics! :)
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I've read it three or four times now, and all I keep thinking is "Is that it?" because this felt like deep fried filler. It still does. My first reaction when Overlord appeared was not "OH MY GOD", "I CAN'T BREATHE" or "I'M SCREAMING" but "really?" You already have the DJD and their previous actions on one side, plus Deathsaurus and his 400 odd bodies, now you add in another almost undefeatable monster to the other side? You can't stack the improbability odds on one side so high because they'll fall over - it's the same reason I gave up on Doctor Who after the first two John Simm Master episodes.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ooooh, I think filler is a bit harsh. We have a lot happening here to move the plot on, even if I don't feel it all works.

That said, my reaction to overlord was somewhat similar. I just think there was a better way than having him align with the cons. And while I think we may get a fake out (and I don't rule out the fixers being drift and ratchet) I still think it hasn't been the best choice.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I like you RDP, you can disagree with me without calling me names. Though I'm pretty sure someone's going to throw some shade at me because I don't believe rainbows fly out of Roberts arse and onto the page. Also, I genuinely do like the book! I love it! It's just it's been pretty "meh" since, oooh, 47 and doesn't seem able to get back to those (admittedly very) high standards. I'm also sure that this will read much better as a trade than as a standalone too.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

One of those issues where it'll be easier to judge in retrospect, especially on the return of Overlord. I can see how that could be something that will annoy a lot of people (it does come out of nowhere, at least with Ratchet and Drift turning up at exactly that moment it was set up in advance even if we didn't realise whose SPACE phone First Aid gave Velocity) but it was so random and insane I actually kind of liked it. But it could wind up over-egging the pudding (do we need someone else who really hates and wants to kill Megatron hanging about?), I now certainly don't expect to revisit the Lost Light in this storyline as there's too much to do here now. Chase the ship looks increasingly likely to be season 3.

liked the double subversion with Ravage. him turning on Ten felt perfectly in character last issue, but it just being an especially brutal way of rescuing him also felt right (especially as it's left uncertain if he'd have gone back if the ship hadn't belonged to allies). Again, I can see this small crew holding off against two DJD members and a bunch of other guys (bar the plot required damage to the shuttle) annoying a lot of people but, again, I really liked the idea that Kaon being that worried about his pet.

It's looking more and more like the ALL massacre was the result of everyone being off their tits on nucleon, the holding back and thinking here is really to their detriment as they're actually too unstable and blinded by rules to be as effective otherwise.

It doesn't help that Megatron brings out the worst in Tarn, he's going to pieces here and the debate between the two of them I think was intentionally not a great series of speeches but rather a petulant and uncertain guy who just has no idea how to deal with a happy Megatron who doesn't even mind if he's being brainwashed (I'm now convinced a source of jeopardy with be the others having to give Megatron "Proper" Energon to save his life from the wounds here, what will be the result?).

The death of Kaon was interesting in that it felt like something Tarn wouldn't have done before coming here (yes, not shooting the dog was stupid even allowing for the fact the others seem more concerned about each other than Tarn does for them), he'd have made the guy fill out a disciplinary form more likely because he'd have had the confidence they'd catch the escapees anyway. It was also a really stupid thing to do in front of Deathsaurus. But it felt like something he would have done at that exact moment.

And yes, I can see the potential complaints of the DJD being destroyed by falling apart themselves rather than because of anything our heroes have done, but it worked for me.

And whilst I'm not sure what Overlord's role is (or that of his mysterious repairers, will next issue's Surprise Full Page Appearance be Pharma and whoever--the knights?--rescued him?), I found him hilarious here. He's the only person in this comic having a fun day and he was great sarcastic entertainment.

Amidst all that though, the best scenes were Rewind (if Overlord's back, odds are good we're going to get that two Rewind's scene) and Nautica and especially Rodimus and Drift. Which was bang on.

And that possible to read in so many ways final panel of him clutching the Autobrand...

Yeah, so in short I can sympathise with people who don't like it, but most of it was the full Energon as far as I was concerned.

Loved that James and Nick seem to have coordinated a head destruction in their two issues as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!