Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I quite liked this issue, and I'll like it even more in time to come, but right now I'm itching for the DJD/Lost Light fightfest. There's been so many bitty, standalone issues since Elegant Chaos, and each month I'm expecting it to be THE one where it finally kicks off.

Instead we get these pleasant stories that are cool and deep... but I'm starting to get fed up, someone really needs to get their head kicked in, and sharpish.

Its time for action, not words.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I can't help but agree with Slag in there being a group of bots and cons that seem to be connected by invisble strings to this story and that there may be a russian doll thene going on with Magnus so perhaps Tarn and Roller were similar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
zigzagger

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #45

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #45 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Full issue is scheduled for September 30!
Attachments
mtmte 45 pg3.jpg
mtmte 45 pg2.jpg
mtmte 45 pg1.jpg
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Yes.
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

As I've said elsewhere, I need the issues that those recap panels are from. It has to happen someday.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Yeah, kind of brings a dopey grin to my face knowing that the Scavengers are off having wacky space adventures of their own.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Unicron wrote:As I've said elsewhere, I need the issues that those recap panels are from. It has to happen someday.
Nah, it could never live up to the hype in our minds. I'd love a four part mini with the boys but I like that there are all these adventures happening elsewhere that we never know about.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

zigzagger wrote:Yeah, kind of brings a dopey grin to my face knowing that the Scavengers are off having wacky space adventures of their own.
That panel at thw bottom killed me, as did Spinister screaming his own name as he attacked
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Me likey. :D

While I love the jokey "recap" panels, I too think they are best kept as one panel gags. A Scavengers mini would be well worth a read, though.

Is anyone else expecting the trademark James Roberts "mood whiplash" to kick in just after these pages? I expect the shizzle will get real, real quick, and the Scavengers will end up having a real fight on their hands. Maybe Grimlock goes on the rampage? Maybe the DJD catch up with them, as another handy DJD threat level reminder ahead of the allegedly momentous 50th issue? I hope Misfire will be OK. :sweatdrop

I look forward to this issue a lot.
Wreck and Rule!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I had a second read through of this, and there's a panel where Rewind and Minimus Ambus are sitting opposite each other at a table. Rewind mentions that they had a heated discussion on the Alternate Lost Light when Rewind found out that Magnus was/is Minimus.

This made me wonder if there's more to it than Rewind is letting on. He's definitely a little guarded with his words in this panel; pausing as he chooses his words correctly. I'm wondering if the ever so dodgy Rewind of the Alternate Lost Light gave the game away to Tarn and Co. re: Magnus' true identity.

Perhaps Alternate Lost Light Rewind has known about the true fate/whereabouts of Dominus Ambus, because Tarn told him during or after the slaughter.

Surely Rewind would have stayed by Chromedome's side even AFTER Chromedome was killed. He'd have wanted to die with him (perhaps) if he truly loved him. Instead Rewind legs it & hides in Magnus' armour.

But was he really hiding? Is Alternative Lost Light Rewind in cahoots with Tarn, and he's intending to sell out OUR Lost Light crew at crunch time... and the only thing that'll save everyone is the return of Overlord and OUR Rewind?

The only thing that would convince Alternate Lost Light Rewind to do this is if he's found out something truly shocking about Chromedome i.e. his involvement with Dominus' disappearance?

It'd be a hell of a stand-off. I could imagine Alternative Lost Light Rewind sacrificing himself so that Our Lost Light Rewind can continue as the definitive Rewind. Alternate Rewind would only do this if he felt it would be a mercy to die keeping hold of the terrible truth about Chromedome & Dominus, so that our innocent Rewind can continue to at least have a life with Chromedome and give the real Chromedome & Rewind a final shot at love. Especially if it becomes clear that Dominus is simply too far gone in his transformation as Tarn/Leige Maximo/Roller etc.

And it'd be the romantic way to go, especially if that issue is called 'Careless Whisper' or something. Go on James, I hope you give it that title :smokin:
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Overlord is the mtmte Elvis. As soon as Roberts killed him off, all we could do is ask "is overlord alive?" �� . Personally, I prefer the idea that alt rewind knows domeys dark side but doesn't tell him because after losing alt doney he realised how important he was to him. I'd be quite happy if original rewind never shows up.

That said, I kinda got the same vibe from the magnus-rewind conversation so you could be onto something there.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

OUT NOW AND SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The recap page was good fun (and coincidentally reminded me of a similar "Flashback to adventures we never saw" sequence in the Doctor Who audio Terror Firma, "The violins! They're coming alive!"). It's amusing how great minds can think alike as the final panel was basically the same gag as the MTMTE toy catalogue Kris Carter made for Auto Assembly (though considering the likely lead in time this presumably pre-dates that).

Going into this I didn't know this was (at least) a two parter so I was worried too much time was being spent on the fake out of the opening game, but with an extra issue to go it actually wound up working nicely as a way of reintroducing everyone after their long absence.

It's very nice it's Misfire (who with his whole useless shooting ability thing probably emphasises with being dead weight) is the one who has taken it upon himself to look after Grimlock, and gave some heart to what was a rapidfire gag opening.

The idea of a Decepticon stand up comedian is a delicious one, especially with it being Skullcruncher, and it's interesting so many Decepticons seem to be rehabilitating themselves across the galaxy, I have a feeling the Autobots may be having a harder time of it. Some of the commentary (both in the gags and the Scavengers reactions) did feel like the author having to direct a pop at internet posts (The War REALLY is over!) and it was perhaps a bit mean to so mercilessly send up the fact the Infiltration idea doesn't really make any sense when that was somebody else's idea, but as a catalyst for Krok's little breakdown it was very nicely handled.

We've had a bit of talk of monoformers over the run of MTMTE, so it was nice to have a decent look at an extreme one (and of course the obvious in retrospect confirmation that Krok is one), a nice little bit of world building. It was also really nice the Scavengers vote on Grimlock wasn't even close, a good reminder that they may be likeable bastards but they're still bastards.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes from here, including what someone wants Grimlock for. Nice to see Maximus hasn't been forgotten either. All in all a very promising opening with lots of neat moments.

Wait, the return of Maximus ruins a lengthy joke I made in an as yet unreleased Podcast Maximus! 0/10.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I've read it! I liked it, seems like what MTMTE would look like if it launched today (generally, a lot more like Firefly than Cheers). The Fort Max reveal did trigger a pet peeve of mine but it generally worked towards the DJD fake-out they were building to. The Grimlock/Misfire stuff was also quite affecting.

More later.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not how I expected Skullcruncher might make an appearance, but I particularly like the commitment to playing the war being over straight. Plenty of substance under the wacky.

FOUR HOURS LATER.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I still enjoy that as much as TLL dicks around, there'll aleays be a crew out there that is even less organized and uncaring towards success
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Not a bad issue, and a nice change of scenery from the LL.

I was never that big a Scavengers fan but I do enjoy the mischief they've been up to. I like the real-life parallels that bring an air of freshness to a mythos that is predominantly defined by big robots fighting and nothing more.

I'd be interested in learning who the monoformer was talking to, and why pretty much everybody except the Autobots are so interested in Grimlock. It's odd...Magnus is not looking for him, Prime does not appear to even notice the dinobots being 4 instead of 5, Slag and the team are indifferent, even Prowl is apparently oblivious to the fact that one of the top powerhouses and "criminals" in their ranks are missing.

Speaking of monoformers, I'm loving the gradual segregation of the cybertronian society. Adds depth to an otherwise "red versus purple" war, and introduces concepts such as "racism" and whatnot.

Many folks argue that these are unecessary touches but I'm very happy with them, from Nova's fascist regime to Skullcruncher's stand up comedy show, these are what can elevate the franchise from a kid's show to proper sci-fi.

Is it just me or is the overall timeline of MTMTE a bit...off?

I was under the impression that S1 was over the span of about a year or so, DC, 6 months time skip, S2 underway. So we're talking about two years roughly, yet the Scavengers reference the events of 7-8 [meeting Grimlock] as a few months ago.

The DJD attack the ALL almost immediately after issue 8 in that timeline, and their medic states that they went back for the engines a year + after that event, which occured a while ago in this timeline [around issues 32-34]...so a few months ago for the Scavengers doesn't make much sense unless the issue takes place chronologically before the current adventures of the LL.

Inks or detail are a bit off in this issue, especially once the Scavengers reach the warehouse. It's apparent on the background moreso than the bots involved.

Fortress Maximus is back, yay. I wonder if Red Alert is with him or not. Although...Magnus used to arrest bots and jail them, Maximus appears a lot more trigger happy with cons?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Dark cybertron is over the course of a few days I think. If I remember right, megs returns in rid and that's night 1 and then its straight into dark cybertron and that's only a couple of days as well.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'd not be surprised if the timeline makes little to no sense. It would be nice if it did but I think it might be more collateral damage from the crossovers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Now I get why I always thought it was a two year or so timeline...

Re-reading S1. Tyrest mentions to Magnus that he's left in the cold for 18 months or so. Chromedome also says something to that extent. Which presumably coincides with the war ending, which is followed by Tyrest berating Magnus for actions during the series.

Which is odd, because RID S1 does not appear to have taken place through 18 months :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

That was quite amusing. Four hours later - heh.

A quick question for those of you who get printed comics delivered: From where do you get your comics, and what day of the week do you normally receive them?

My current sub comic comes on Friday or Saturday, but it seems like others get their copies earlier. I may switch providers if I can get it quicker.
Wreck and Rule!