Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Flimflammery
Protoform

Post by Flimflammery »

Terome wrote:That makes Flimflammery the King!
Troubling and unexpected... but nonetheless I will try to be fair and just to my new subjects!

My first commandment is that Mr Dalek educates himself on the music of Belle and Sebastian ;)
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Nice! Three posts in and regal already. I like the cut of your jib, FF. Willkommen! :)
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I for one welcome our new overlord.

Belle and Sebastian... they did Ohhh Stick You, right?

To be vaguely on topic, Roberts has tweeted what a script page of MTMTE (in this case issue 38) looks like after he's finished revising it:

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 7176531968

[The redacted word isn't some important secret hint of things to come, it's "****"]
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #43

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #43 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

The full issue is due July 29!
Attachments
mtmte43 pg3.jpg
mtmte43 pg2.jpg
mtmte43 pg1.jpg
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Ok so MTMTE is just going balls deep into meta homage and refference humor aren't they? I'm not quite sure how I feel in regards to this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Mmmm, it's a bit much, I agree.

Still... we're getting more Bluestreak. Nice to see more of the "new" faces mingling with the old.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Now while I do like the third preview page and the art, the actual opening sequence it's refferencing is sadly beyond my recollection.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terome

Post by Terome »

It's like they are taking those two 'playlist' pages we spent so much time talking about last month and are making a whole issue out of them!

I do quite like this though - it's clear that there's something wacky science fiction hijinx going on. I'm thinking Psi Moon. The avatars are fun and the art is gorgeous. The 'title sequence' made up of old clips is kind of inspired too.

I can't help but think that the people who make Community would despair at their show being so handily referenced as something that spontaneously generates paintball battles.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Selkadoom wrote:Now while I do like the third preview page and the art, the actual opening sequence it's refferencing is sadly beyond my recollection.
Cheers.

So they're hanging out in Monica's apartment from Friends, paintball fight from Community, Cheers opening sequence, reading issue one of MTMTE, referencing Tumblr as a place to stay away from (how true)...

Yeah, a bit heavy on the Earth references. Curious to see what the justification is going to be. Probably something like the Phobia Shield back from the Hoist Spotlight, but less lethal and more based on fictional crap.

I just want to know if they're going to stumble into an episode of the old cartoon. I think that's about the only thing that would be better and worse than what we've already seen
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Well, Swerve seems to be important in the stories coming up, judging by him going all Quantum Leap and the forthcoming cover of multiple Swerves. Is this still the effects of the meta-bomb he detonated ages ago? If so, I hope this story clears it all up and the meta thing goes away. Meta stuff can be fun, but I'd rather read "classic" MTMTE than endless Earth references. Bring back the (poorly executed) quest!
Wreck and Rule!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Unicron wrote:Cheers.

So they're hanging out in Monica's apartment from Friends, paintball fight from Community, Cheers opening sequence, reading issue one of MTMTE, referencing Tumblr as a place to stay away from (how true)...

Yeah, a bit heavy on the Earth references. Curious to see what the justification is going to be. Probably something like the Phobia Shield back from the Hoist Spotlight, but less lethal and more based on fictional crap.

I just want to know if they're going to stumble into an episode of the old cartoon. I think that's about the only thing that would be better and worse than what we've already seen
Thank you that was bothering me, I knew the font and all just couldn't put the name to it. Though I'd enjoy them discovering Beast wars only somewhat more personally.
Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Well, Swerve seems to be important in the stories coming up, judging by him going all Quantum Leap and the forthcoming cover of multiple Swerves. Is this still the effects of the meta-bomb he detonated ages ago? If so, I hope this story clears it all up and the meta thing goes away. Meta stuff can be fun, but I'd rather read "classic" MTMTE than endless Earth references. Bring back the (poorly executed) quest!
Thats actually a brilliant way to rationalize all the Meta stuff lately, that or we get a twist of Shamalan levels coming up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Has James Roberts been possessed by an 80s vintage Grant Morrison? Because that's some Animal Man-tier self-indulgent nonsense. Though it is somewhat redeemed by the thought of Roger C. Carmel's booming Cyclonus baritone coming from a Victorian schoolmarm.
inflatable dalek

Whilst you're all off talking about the preview of 43 (am I really the only one who avoids those?), Roberts has done a podcast interview which talks about some of the criticism this issue received on the Underbase podcast, a good chunk of which reflected my own thoughts so it should make an interesting listen (I'm going to tune in on the way to the pub):

http://www.transmissionspodcast.com/201 ... interview/
Terome

Post by Terome »

Entertaining podcast, Roberts is definitely aware of the criticisms. I'd like him to not bow to these backlashes and just keep doing what he's doing but that's probably impossible when people keep cornering him and telling him exactly how he's displeasing them.

The guy who hasn't read the comics and hates them because the 1984 set aren't in it was a weird interlude.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Aye - ignore us plebs, Mr Roberts - we don't know what we want anyway! :)
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He knows what he's doing.
inflatable dalek

Yeah, I don't think any of us are so deluded as to expect the writers to listen to any of us*. After all, trying to rewrite the story on the fly to respond to every criticism is clearly what was going on with All Hail Megatron and look how that turned out.

*Except me of course.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I got the impression that an awful lot of fans really enjoyed All Hail Megatron, and it only got any stick from the über nerds.
inflatable dalek

Which considering that 98% of the readership was the uber fans (physical sales stayed exactly the same as the considered-disapointing-by-IDW Furman material and digital wasn't a thing in those days) that's a hell of a problem.

EDIT: It may be looked back on more kindly now though due to not being Mike Costa. It's still pretty poor though.
inflatable dalek

I don't read the previews (and still haven't), but the reaction to this one has been interesting (if slightly annoying as people on twitter have seemed determined to ruin any "Surprise" from the sitcom homage). Even the people who like it seem baffled.

And five posts before it's compared to a Red Dwarf episode... a record? ;)

If anything, from the way people are going on it's more like that episode of Supernatural where the boys get sucked into various other Universal TV shows.