Transformers: Chaos Theory / Vol. 5 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It's great stuff! There are some places where it's niggling, but the good stuff outweigh the bad stuff.

What I must say is, this finally makes G1 Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron as actual characters rather than caricatures of a generic cartoon hero and villain.

It makes me oddly hopeful that the Chaos event won't be a disaster, which is the sad, inevitable triumph of hope over experience whenever a good IDW issue is concerned.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Figured this ought to go here; Milne has posted a sketch of Nominus Prime on his Deviant Art page:

http://markerguru.deviantart.com/#/d46poba
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Did he appear in the issue proper?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Blackjack wrote:Did he appear in the issue proper?
Nope. Just the partially obscured mug shot.

I'm only mildly interested that it's yet another Prime, but issues 22 and 23 tossed the name around a few times, so it's nice being able to put a face to him.

---

Also, if anyone's interested - color guides for Rung (also sketches w/ his alt mode), Springarm (sketch of alt-mode here, too) and Nominus Prime, along with sketch of Megatron in his pre-war duds.

And in case you forgot, Rung's the shrink who wrote up all those psychological evaluations/profiles in LSOTW.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Those sketches are actually pretty good!

Rung's a whole lot different than the mental image I had in my mind when reading 'Bullets', though. I dunno, I expected him to look more... Prowly.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Better than last issue IMO, driving the setup forward a bit... Milne's on good form, helped by great-as-always colouring.
&quot wrote:What I must say is, this finally makes G1 Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron as actual characters rather than caricatures of a generic cartoon hero and villain.
Mmm, exactly.

Shame the ongoing's promptly backslid into splash page bollocks, judging by the #24 preview, and it all seems to be tied into this Unicron-lite D-Void stuff. And I do wonder how much of the 'history' side these days is nudged at the licensor approval stage by the backstory Hasbro is putting out in Exodus/Exiles/Book3ofTrilogy, particularly as we're heading into an event called Chaos.

Still, will check out the Roberts issues.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Everything is firing on all cylinders to create an all round great comic. But I'm still not that excited leading into Chaos. That may be because Roberts is only writing half of it, and Costa is still writing the other half though. Hope Roberts can keep this quality going into his series.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

zigzagger wrote:I almost felt the same way when I thought the orange/tan/blue generic could've been a young Ironfist.....
Definitely not Ironfist....even if we've already established that it wasn't :o

http://markerguru.deviantart.com/art/TF ... -254649450
favourite part is having a bot coloured in the colours of ironfist. i really wanted that botcon toy, and since i couldn't get one, i thought i'd have some bot in those colours.
Not the best reason, though.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

I've actually found out that I have the Ironfist toy in my garage. I had a squee right there because I bought the Springer and Kup toys a a boot sale and I have the Top Spin/Twin Twist toys and the Guzzle toy and all the Decepticon toys like Sykquake and Snare

So I have almost the whole cast of Last Stand of the Wreckers as toys :clap:

I just need to buy an Overlord toy and a Rotorstorm toy :D
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Really good podcast interview with Roberts specifically on 22 and 23 at Moonbase 2 here:

http://moonbase2.libsyn.com/the-underba ... es-roberts

I'd no idea he'd been acting as an editing consultant since issue 18, I guess that has something to do with why people seem to have been enjoying the book more lately?

Lots of nice info on the thought process behind the story and its origins. I must admit to having been a bit dense about the titles meaning (the spilt drink in the bar being the butterfly flapping its wings that leads to the hurricane that is the war). The idea that we're thinking about the Matrix in terms of other continuities and none of that may be applicable here is interesting as well.

In fact, pretty much everything he says is an almost perfect quote to show How Things Should Be Done. And Whirl almost wasn't in it because Roberts had the same concern as me about prequels. Smart man.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!