Transformers 3 [spoiler] news/rumours

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Cliffjumper wrote:You remember the bit in the first film where he died, right? With the cube at the end? And the body being dumped at sea? And Sam and the Autobots winning? Losing half of his head is probably a mere annoyance in comparison...
True you've got me there but thats gonna be one hell of problem when you're troops don't understand you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Eh? Starscream seemed to understand him just fine, seconds after the damage had been done.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Plus they've been proven to communicate non-verbally when in alternate mode and are unspecified distances apart.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Plus, again, while it could possibly pose a problem in communicating when you have half your face missing, again it's nothing by comparison to being dead and having your corpse dumped in the Laurentian Abyss.

The Decepticons actually finish RotF in slightly better shape (Megatron and Starscream surviving) than the first one (where Starscream was the only confirmed survivor).

The RotF revival/upgrade (complete with changed alt mode) was where they would've changed Megatron into Galvatron if it was going to happen. I think those involved are probably savvy enough to realise that the next time Megatron dies has to be for keeps.

Also, the last time Galvatron was put into a Transformers film, it was the first step down a slippery slope and the franchise took a decade to recover after his introduction.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Also, the last time Galvatron was put into a Transformers film, it was the first step down a slippery slope and the franchise took a decade to recover after his introduction.
I'd say it was the second step. Killing Prime was the first step. Unless you meant the film in general, in which case point conceded.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I was thinking more that it's the rough point the film lurches from interesting melodrama to crappy space travelogue... I'm not so sure that simply killing off Prime and Megatron was necessarily a huge problem - it was the piss-poor replacements* that really sealed the deal.

Regardless of re-evaluation or individual preference, both Galvatron and Rodimus are probably still too solidly intertwined with the thing going down the tubes to the general audience - a lot of the demographic is 25-35 year olds.

*= Marvel UK Galvatron wasn't a replacement for Megatron, and is basically a different character to the cartoon version
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Cliffjumper wrote:both Galvatron and Rodimus are probably still too solidly intertwined with the thing going down the tubes to the general audience
I could imagine Hot Rod (or "Rodimus" if they feel compelled) making an appearance, but not becoming a Prime.
As for Galvatron, I doubt we'll see him unless everyone's favourite planet-eating villain* appears.

*excluding Galactus
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Regardless of re-evaluation or individual preference, both Galvatron and Rodimus are probably still too solidly intertwined with the thing going down the tubes to the general audience - a lot of the demographic is 25-35 year olds.
Though for a lot of "casual" fans (in the UK at least), the animated movie is pretty much their longstanding reference point, with very little of season 3 even existing for them. If they had one video that they caned as a child, it was that, if they picked up any TF DVD off the back of the 2007 film, it was gonna be the movie. Galvatron has impact and recognition value in that regard.

It's like how most people think Tom Baker was the last Doctor before Ecclescake, and how he battled Daleks on a weekly basis. The facts are irrelevant, the composite social perception exists. To a lot of people, TF:TM is the definitive and possibly only manifestation of the original series.

But yeah, if they were going to do it, it would have been in ROTF. As borne out by the admission that they were going to, but decided against it.

[EDIT] My favourite planet eater is actually Omnipitus.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

They could introduce Galvatron as a clone of Megatron, a Megatron from the future, or a separate character. Or don't include him at all...

Soundwave survived the film too, didn't he? So did Scalpel (and Barricade from the first movie), seemingly.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Rattrap's tail wrote:TF3: Revenge of the Fallen's head.
FACE! Revenge of the Fallen's Face!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Personally, whatever the other flaws of the film, I do think Movie Galvatron is great and well played by Nimoy (there's one duffly delivered line, the "There they are..." one on Junkion that sounds like he's reading it off the page, the rest is clearly him relishing the chance to go mad with something unSpocky).

Though I've no real interest in seeing the character in the live action films, they could introduce him as a seperate entity working for Unicron... But that's basically what the Fallen is so they'd be better off bringing him back if they were going to go that way.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

They killed Prime - and brought him back...

They killed Sam - and brought him back...

Um - how about Return of The Legend of the Day of the Zombie Transformers III?

That should put a thin layer of sticking plaster over the unfounded plot spoilers for a while, neh?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh yeh, Soundwave definitely survives, while Scalpel seems to. Forgot about them (though it does tally with the Decepticons having more active troops in the Earthsphere than they did at the end of the first one).

Barricade, to my mind, is dead until we see otherwise - he's ignored two Decepticon rallies, and seemingly made no attempt to contact anyone. The film makers resorted to generic protoforms, Bonecrusher and Blackout ahead of him in RotF. I personally suspect that whatever they had planned for him for RotF didn't come off, and if he is in the third one it'll be in a tiny role. I also think it's quite likely his death from the first one will be edited in and 'canonised' by a future DVD cut. This'd tie up loose ends, and totally annihilate whatever credibility the IDW comics have, so it'd be double-plus good. He wasn't all that hot anyway - Bumblebee couldn't even be bothered to kill him, officially making him less threatening than a toaster.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Maybe it's not like that. Maybe Bumblebee couldn't kill him because he's such a double hard bastard.

Maybe the reason he disappeared in the first one is because he had important schemes to scheme and decided to pretend he's dead, and he's off operating his own agenda in a Tarantulas type manner.

Or he's actually in charge. He's secretly The Fallen's boss, so has held back and let his minion do all the work of late, and he'll step back up as the UBERBAD in the third one. He's the evil genius behind it all, and he just pretended to be one of the grunts to fool everybody and not even Megatron really knows the truth.

... oh who the frak am I kidding.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:Maybe it's not like that. Maybe Bumblebee couldn't kill him because he's such a double hard bastard.

Maybe the reason he disappeared in the first one is because he had important schemes to scheme and decided to pretend he's dead, and he's off operating his own agenda in a Tarantulas type manner.

Or he's actually in charge. He's secretly The Fallen's boss, so has held back and let his minion do all the work of late, and he'll step back up as the UBERBAD in the third one. He's the evil genius behind it all, and he just pretended to be one of the grunts to fool everybody and not even Megatron really knows the truth.

... oh who the frak am I kidding.
Y'know, that'd be funnier if it wasn't just a recap of the IDW comics.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Really?

I haven't read them.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I tend to do both at the same time (to be fair, they haven't actually linked him to any Grand Scheme yet, but I reckon it's a matter of time, and he is doing the elusive mysterious bad guy side of things in a hilariously stilted fashion on). To further stress how ridiculous these comics are, however, it should be mentioned that the IDW continuity had him killed by Prime at the highway along with Bonecrusher, then retconned this to being bumped off the road by Ironhide when it looked like Barricade might be in RotF. Now that's respect for your readers...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Now that's respect for your readers...
After the utter shambles of AHM, I expect no less. My favourite part is still pages of plot-driving dialogue in one of the Coda stories being built around the writer (who encouragingly is the new editor) getting two characters the wrong way round and absolutely nobody noticing at any stage of production.

And the only way to fix it will be for the characters' next appearance to include the exchange "when I said about you having this ability, I was confused and meant me"/"oh, don't worry - I made the exact same mistake beforehand in my internal monologue when I used it to justify how I was doing what I was doing. Now that I realise the mistake I don't actually understand how I was even able to do what I was doing when you found me."

I'm still looking forward to the revelation of exactly how Sixshot managed to broker the deal of "Okay Megatron, if you revive me I'll give you all this technology that you'll have to walk past in order to get to my body. On the proviso that you set me free afterwards and forget about the whole me-turning-on-you business" whilst still offline. I mean not even G1 cartoon Megatron would have fallen for that one.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Don't forget Megatron, and seemingly Bonecrusher as well! They rose from the dead...
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

"Return of the Alice"

They always need another girl, right? Isabel is still good enough. Or at least Bay will find another one from his Victoria Secret commercial.