Transformers 3 [spoiler] news/rumours

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

SPOILER! (select to read)
Leadfoot? Really?

-curses R'n'R and Brimstone for spoiling another the names of the Wreckers for me-

Roadbuster! Excitement.

@Brimstone: G1 Leadfoot is not part of the Wreckers. In the Marvel G2 comics he is one of the newly built Decepticons, a yellow Formula One that can shoot a rotor blade to kill Imperials. He defected to the Autobots and killed Razorclaw. In IDW he gets to be the redshirt that Galvatron kills.
!PUCK

Post by !PUCK »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the first teaser I saw... "we are not alone" ... am I missing something, where does this enter into the timeline? That was in the past right? So is there going to be some connection in that respect?
Also, when did I get "Old Lurker" lol :P
"Humans love a battle hardy. So does Puck, come on, lets party!"
"WITNESS MY PROFECTION" -MindRiot (funny quote)
Please forgive any stupidity that may escape out my mouth.
http://www.archive.org < Surf the net back in time. Visit Sites from the past.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Empire has a cover with Optimus and
Sentinel Prime
Is that a spoiler, being on the front cover of a magazine thats in the shops?

Inside, there are lots of little nuggets of info.
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
Michael Bay is back, back, back with another dose of blockbusting mayhem in Transformers 3, the biggest toy-to-screen franchise until Christopher Nolan decides to make an Action Man biopic. Bay is Hollywood's equivalent of LA's sky-reaching US Bank Tower: a reliably ginormous monolith dwarfing everything around in the City of Angels. Love him or not, he paints from a bigger canvas than any other director at work. Empire caught up with him as he put the finishing touches on Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, a third instalment he describes as 'kind of like a spy movie". Disappointingly, this doesn't turn out to involve Optimus Prime brandishing a newspaper with eyeholes cut out. Happily, in a refreshingly candid chat, Bay shed some light on his new 'bot-battling tentpole and told us where Transformers 2 went wrong. Two words, Michael: Robot genitals.
I've got a copy on my desk and will post the main points when I get around to reading it (assuming nobody beats me to the punch)
I like bears.
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

Sentinel Prime Of Transformers: Dark Of The Moon Voiced By The Legendary Leonard Nimoy:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... oy-171819/
glazios

Post by glazios »

Grayfox wrote:Sentinel Prime Of Transformers: Dark Of The Moon Voiced By The Legendary Leonard Nimoy:

While this is certainly a most awesome bit of news, while I'm sitting here grinning my face off, there's this little voice in the back of my head going, "Well they knew he was interested in playing a part in one of the films since ROTF, so why the f** didn't they throw Galvatron in the mix somewhere?! :rant:"
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

EEEEEE!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

This is the greatest news. Hopefully he gets more lines than the Fallen.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Hot diggity damn! That's excellent news!

Oh yeah, the Empire stuff I promised:
Bay says the 2nd was crap because it "went into a mystical world" and they didn't really have the story up together when they started filming.

Rules for DOTM:
1. No Sand.
2. No dorky humour (more serious, more adult)
3. When robots die, they are dead.
4. No bringing people back from the dead.
5. More weight to the robots (story and pathos.)

Other little tidbits included;
the majority of the action will be at the end (a welcome change after Revenge basically peaked in the forest.
Sentinel is a "big brother" to Optimus and his appearance is "emotional".
One of the robots is on a scale of "jaw dropping".
Small group of heroes. No military coming to the rescue.
A bit where they use squirrel-chute things to fly under radar (as seen in the trailer)

So, do you think a booky would even take a bet that Sentinel dies by the end?
glazios wrote:"Well they knew he was interested in playing a part in one of the films since ROTF, so why the f** didn't they throw Galvatron in the mix somewhere?! :rant:"
I agree to an extent, but if they were going to do it would have to have been when he returned in ROTF. They can't just kill Megs and bring him back and say "but this time he's changing his name for no discernible reason."
I like bears.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

@ Summerhayes' post:
No sand = good. We've seen our share.

No dorky humour = thank God.

More story and characterisation = excellent news.

No military to the rescue = ace.

Action at the end = boo. I liked how ROTF has action everywhere instead of huge chunks of human in the beginning like TFTM. Although if we get a battle royale like TFTM instead of the god-this-has-gone-on-for-so-long-kill-the-frikkin-fallen-already in ROTF, I'm for it.

Epic scale transformer = hope it's going to be bigger than Devastator, at least. Unicron? -wistful hope-
Also, I rewatched the trailer just for the hell of it.
And, along with the re-used Long Haul and Brawl templates, I spotted either Barricade or someone sharing the Sideways template in the Optimus scene. Barryways got totally hacked apart by Optimus, though.

Also, I spotted a one-eyed Transformer when the youtube patching got stuck at a particular second. Shockwave at last!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I actually enjoyed the final battle in ROTF- I liked how it felt like a military battle, drawn out and with all sorts going on. Its just a shame the actual Prime/ Megs/ Fallen battle at the end was rushed.
I like bears.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Grayfox wrote:Sentinel Prime Of Transformers: Dark Of The Moon Voiced By The Legendary Leonard Nimoy:

Bout damn time he joined the franchise again

(Though I would've prefered him voiceing Galvatron again) :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Summerhayes wrote:I actually enjoyed the final battle in ROTF- I liked how it felt like a military battle, drawn out and with all sorts going on. Its just a shame the actual Prime/ Megs/ Fallen battle at the end was rushed.
I LOVE the final battle, don't get me wrong. Bumblebee vs Rampage + Ravage, the redshirt Decepticon army versus NEST, all sorts of crazy Decepticons walking around, Devastator, Sam and Mikaela running like crazy through the gauntlet...

But the Prime-Megs-Fallen battle fails to have any impact and is drawn out for too long. Also, the air strike is a bit of an anticlimax, and that Ironhide, Ratchet, Sideswipe and the rest basically appear for mere seconds at a time is a bit lousy. Ditto for Devastator's anticlimactic death.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Blackjack wrote:But the Prime-Megs-Fallen battle fails to have any impact and is drawn out for too long. Also, the air strike is a bit of an anticlimax, and that Ironhide, Ratchet, Sideswipe and the rest basically appear for mere seconds at a time is a bit lousy. Ditto for Devastator's anticlimactic death.
Not sure I agree - I feel the Prime-Megs-Fallen battle is rushed. It's as if they had blocked the rest of the film out, then realised at lunch-time on Friday they had to somehow complete a CG fight sequence by close-of-play.

It does fall totally flat, and seems overly brutal to me (totally out of character for Prime, I thought - 'Give me your face!' 'I rise, you fall.'. A bit more thought, a little more structure, and pointful dialogue would have helped a lot, as it did in the absolutely excellent forest battle, which is the polar opposite!

You need a good action sequence at the end of these kinds of films, and if you choose to run awesome sequences throughout the entire duration you need to be careful not to disappoint with the climax. Bay would have done better to ensure he had polished the final fight off before dealing with less consequential sequences elsewhere in the film, rollercoaster or not.

Just my view...

I like the idea of a gradual build-up this time round, but did really enjoy the adrenaline kick of ROTF, ending aside.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I love all the scenes in ROTF, just as I said, and that last fight is unexpectedly brutal with the face ripping and -- well, just see what Optimus did with Megatron, made him eat a shot from his own cannon, then blasts him off with jet engines.

It's a great fight scene, but after seeing what they could've done to make it much more tense (after seeing the OP vs Megatron battle royale from the first movie and the Forest Battle) although to be fair after everything, a quick conclusion is pretty fitting.

It is a great action scene and a nice takedown, I just don't think it has the right amount of suspense and amount of dialogue for the end battle. Fallen doesn't get much of a closure other than 'They were your brothers too/you picked the wrong planet/give me your face/I rise you fall'.

Even Bay admits that they were caught up at 'oops, it's time for the final beatdown' and it was kind of rushed.

Heck, move Devastator's death to the end. Ignore the whole human warship thing, and have Optimus fight Devastator, Megatron and Fallen. We can easily cull some screentime by skipping some scenes earlier on and... well, this is going to 'what could have been' territory, isn't it? ;)
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

If nothing else, Fallen got a far better resolution here than in The War Within. The guy just suck at endings.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

To be fair, Fallen was supposed to return in the Dreamwave ongoing as some kind of evil-angel-on-the-shoulder to Jetfire, which might have been more interesting considering it is written by Sarricarini or however you spell his name.

But poor Fallen just can't get himself right in official material, no? The only reason I love that guy is because of fanfiction, and even then it's a semi-serious humorfic.

He is actually a pretty interesting character once you take away all the stupid plots he gets tied up into. One of the first 13, master of entropy, sees that everything will crumble like the entropy he wields, gets drafted by Unicron and corrupted, and then acts as Devil's Advocate to guys like Bludgeon and Jetfire, manipulating things to bring chaos... but Furman had to go drop the ball halfway through in favour of Fallen fighting 'Me Grimlock'.

I like the ROTF version as well. Bastard member of the ruling Primes, not happy with his brothers and hates them for not turning on the Harvester (which would save the All Spark, hey!) for some weak meatbags. Hey, I know if I were given the chance to save my, say, city or country by turning on a machine at the cost of some monkeys, I'd do it! But Fallen goes crazy with power, gets trapped by his brothers. But he manipulates Megatron, sparks a civil war and lets all his troops do the dirty work. Note this -- he plays so hard on Megatron's zealotry on him that he doesn't even lift a finger, even when the only guy who can beat him is dead! All he does is arrive on Earth, say 'revenge is mine', makes a civil announcement... then sits back and lets his troops do all the work for him. A coward and a lazy bum.

Then he pops up just when the Matrix is reformed, dead troops be damned. A true strategist! [/sarcasm] He very nearly wins if Jolt hasn't been there to fuse Jetfire and Optimus. But Jolt was there, so Fallen gets his face ripped off.

Jolt saved the ****ing Earth, BITCH!

EDIT: Whoo, I am rambling. Whatever was in that medicine they gave me to cure my insomnia, I think it cause me this.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Blackjack wrote:I think it cause me this.
I think you a verb there.

Yeah, that's the thing; I really like the Fallen, but I like him a lot more for what he could be rather than what he is. Much like Thundercracker he has an awesome character comcept, but in practice is just another Decepticon non-character

Except he's on fire.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I really like ROTF and I'm not going to start jumping on any bandwagons about it... However, the last fight does sem very rushed - there's the reuse of the desert, which felt uninspired, the strange use of the Decepticons (faceless drones in the thick of things, Devastator off menacing the twins, Bumblebee's peripheral battering of Rampage and Ravage), Long Haul and Scrapper meeting very underwhelming endings when their destruction could have been at the hands of Sideswipe and Jolt (I'm not talking a five-minute fight each time, just something happening to make it feel like the Autobots and Decepticons are battling each other instead of providing artillery support for the army and the drones respectively), and the rushed Prime/Fallen fight. There's lots of good bits in there, but it lacks coherency - the overall feel is of a lot of people shooting at each other with little effect while all kinds of crazy stuff happens on the fringes. Which was a shame, because the Mission City fight is incredibly well thought-out and really tops off the first film beautifully.

I had no problem with the basic idea of a hyped-up Prime brutally killing the Fallen - Prime's a soldier, the Fallen's an enemy soldier, this isn't Saturday morning TV in 1985, if you can't handle that kind of thing go and watch Emo-Man 3. I had a problem with the Fallen basically being rubbish once they'd got his magic stick, though - I do feel him offing Ratchet or someone else medium-ranking but not ultra-vital would have helped his standing. Or at least making the "Megatron's the muscle, he's the brain" thing work a bit better so we're not left with an underwhelming fight - maybe have someone else take the Fallen out while Prime deals with Megatron and Starscream?

EDIT: I'd have rejigged things so Prime fights Megatron to near-death, the bulk of the Autobots battle Devastator, throw the twins a bone with someone like Long Haul, and have the Army destroy the energy collector and the Fallen while the Autobots keep the Decepticons out of the way.

Galvatron? **** off, he killed the thing the last time he turned up, and the character never would have existed if Hasbro knew then what they know now - that people can handle Megatron being killed off and returning as Megatron.

In defence of the forest scene's placing, I suspect no-one realised how show-toppingly amazing it actually was when they put it together seeing as it's just a four-robot brawl in a wood. On paper, the desert battle tops it.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

The reason the forest scene is so good is because of where it is. Its in the middle, where Optimus dies, which means they can put him against impossible odds, make him do heroic things and say quotable lines and the action could be absolutely balls-out. If Optimus was meant to win, they'd reach a point where they think "actually, having him defeat this many guys is ridiculous".
I like bears.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

Apple's been putting up image stills for the next trailer for the last week or so. You can find them here.

Oh, and the new trailer to which these image stills belong comes out...today. 4 PM EST.

http://trailers.apple.com/