IDW Transformers Ongoing #1 Info Thread | UPDATE: 8 pg preview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

what? eh? what? didn't they just *do* that with AHM? wheres the 'brain explodes' smiley...
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

3 years in the future? Oh dear... Way to encourage people to read the AHM codas.

Still, maybe its for the best. Autobots in hiding as least means we once again will have a reason for transformers transforming. And we can assume that humanity will have learned from all that has happened and be much more able to fight the cybertronians which is a change from the usual weakling earth armies.

And in fairness with the decepticons being the victors we at least have some clarity on the state of the war (or at least, I hope)

So re-boot number 3 kicks off. Hope they can stick with this one.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

A three year jump? :wtf:

Actually, the logical thing to do is to write AHM off as an 'Elseworlds' story, retcon it out of existence and continue on from where we left off in Max-Dinos and Revelations.

But another mini-reboot.... sigh.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

borg72 wrote:what? eh? what? didn't they just *do* that with AHM? wheres the 'brain explodes' smiley...
And just to make thing worse, isn't Coda already retconning AHM? The whole Ironhide-at-the-beginning-of-the-war-with-Optimus thing and now Scourge that is not the same described in AHM. Oh, comes to think, they are also retconning Revelation, if Scourge was a Dead Universe crew guy.
zigzagger

Costa Interview + Page Previews

Post by zigzagger »

Comic Book Resources interview with Mike Costa.
Check it out here.

...Article also includes interior artwork.
ImageImageImage
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Earth rebuilt and any lingering stentch of AHM removed in two panels. Cool. I am slightly worried though that the new status quo sounds pretty much like what they started with.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

It seems that the TPB will be worth the price, this time. I only wish they had created a whole new universe, after all these "reboots" and "retcons" (or plain mistakes).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

inflatable dalek wrote:Earth rebuilt and any lingering stentch of AHM removed in two panels. Cool. I am slightly worried though that the new status quo sounds pretty much like what they started with.
Yeah, what they should have done is retcon AHM out of continuity, and ignore it. Continue on from Revelations. But no.... they take the hard 'clean-up' way out...

Assuming the third picture is really going to be an interior panel and not a cover, there's a lot of interesting things there.
SPOILER! (select to read)
That Laserbeak redesign is cool. :up: Ooh, Scorponok! Hardhead seems to be up and running as well (above Prime's gun). Both Sunstreaker and Devastator survived AHM too. Ratbat seems to be back in his Devastation body (background between Megatron's cannon and Laserbeak's wing). The Battlechargers appear to be alive as well. Maybe this isn't going to be so bad. I'm giving this a chance.

EDIT: Wait, what the hell is Drift doing fighting Scorponok? Aren't we done with him?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I suspect it is a cover. Just because he isn't going to do anything doesn't mean Drift can't hang round in the background (which is pretty much all he's done to date anyway) in an attempt to save face.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

yeah, most likely it is a cover, but then ignoring all of AHM would be cool! And I can hope, can't I? Besides, ziggy says 'interior art'...

Now if only Drift gets a character moment, like, say, Impactor...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think I'm going to be sticking with trade on this, if following at all. Nothing sounds exciting about Transformers still being on Earth at this point, and after a year of "Autobot morale is low" something new's needed.

Stoked about Nick's work, though.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Denyer wrote:I think I'm going to be sticking with trade on this, if following at all. Nothing sounds exciting about Transformers still being on Earth at this point, and after a year of "Autobot morale is low" something new's needed.

Stoked about Nick's work, though.
I've recently made that switch too. Money's become so tight and I've moved away from my LCS. Can't be bothered to hunt out the comics when it's so cheap and easy to order the trades on Amazon, even if it does mean a long wait to read the stories. Ah well, guess I'll have to get used to it.
fantomdranzerx
Protoform

Post by fantomdranzerx »

This sounds interesting. I don't mind Don's new style much; I actually rather like it. :) Looks like the closest we'll get to seeing G1 movie designs. The faces could use a little work, though, but since Don's just started drawing this way, there's nothing to say that he won't make a few tweaks in the future. But for money reasons, I think I'm sticking to the trade paperback like most people.
"Adult Robots may not act like children."---Excerpt from the Robot Law (Astro Boy)
DeviantArt
spetchsta
Protoform

Post by spetchsta »

The all-new ongoing seires looks awesome i hope grimlock plays a part in it as hes my fave character & i wud like to see more combiner groups in this series like the arielbots,predacons,combaticons,technobots
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

I'm really happy with the new art and that they're getting away from G1 exact designs again. I really like the way the art started out with IDW, and was greatly disappointed with where they went with it in AHM.

Like most of you (it sounds) I'm still not completely sold on the faces...but the body redesigns and detail is awesome!

I'm assuming, though, that the cover with everyone isn't really any sort of canon art. Because everyone that died in AHM (except for Rumble/Frenzy...which ever one is the blue one in this series) is in this picture. I see Tundercracker and Sunstreaker...and didn't Scorponok die at the end of MD? I can't remember.

(EDIT: Had the wrong seeker called out, I think)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Brimstone wrote:and didn't Scorponok die at the end of MD? I can't remember.
He survived, just like everyone in MD :)
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Yeah...a certain someone's resurection really cheapened his death, didn't it?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IDW cheapen a death? I won't believe it.

Now, IDW cheapening an entire medium, that I can believe.
spetchsta
Protoform

Post by spetchsta »

YOU THINK THEY WILL BRING GRIMLOCK INTO THE SERIES HE IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE
glazios

Post by glazios »

MeGrimlock wrote:He survived, just like everyone in MD :)
Sunstreaker's in there, too... Between Prowl's left shoulder missile and Blitzwing's right arm. As I recall, he's somewhat's DEAD, officially-speaking.

I smells a reboot, people, as opposed to the continuation they're saying it is.

I recall someone suggesting in another thread, that IDW could disregard AHM as an alternate universe and simply pick up where the Revelation spotlights left off or thereabouts. I vote for that plan.
spetchsta wrote:YOU THINK THEY WILL BRING GRIMLOCK INTO THE SERIES HE IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE
Big Grim's in there too, in-line with Megatron's fusion cannon, and the other Dinobots are dotted around as well. They've had they're own inter-woven storyline so far, can't see IDW writing them out now...