24%
No
41%
Jury Still Out
35%

Total votes: 34

Gouki

Post by Gouki »

wolfbolt86 wrote:Think we might also finally get an answer to what has happen to Verity and Jimmy?
They weren't Spike and Carly. Thats what happened to them.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

wolfbolt86 wrote:Think we might also finally get an answer to what has happen to Verity and Jimmy?
They died on the way back to their home planet.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Gouki wrote:They weren't Spike and Carly. Thats what happened to them.
Rossum wrote:They died on the way back to their home planet.
Cute. While I know that most don't like the humane characters, I just want closure with that plot point. Seeing as how Rachet revived them after five minutes, I wonder if the Doc was able to repaire the damage caused by the jump.

I'm more than likely having too much hope that McCarthy will bring this point to an end though.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Huh.

Maybe I'll keep those kid gloves on a little longer.

This issue was exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping to see in a TF comic.

As the story moves along, the stakes are raised and the tone has become more serious. Just the way I like my TF comics.

The dialogue was some of the best yet from McCarthy, but really what makes this issue stand out from the rest is that as the story moves along, there are finally consequences. Grim consequences.

I can say we officially have our first moment where a character dies and I actually felt it meant something since IDW acquired the license. And it makes perfect sense in the face of what Simon laid down beforehand. Fans will be up in arms about it, but too bad. Shane takes a chance, and IMO, delivers the goods.

This is the kind of storytelling I want to see, where lives are at stake, where war actually has consequences, and things don't always go according to plan. Where the good guys aren't always good, and the bad guys aren't all bad. Where humans are described as "coming apart very easily".

Starscream, evil SOB that he is, really shines in this issue. Guido's incredible art adds to Screamers presence. It's always nice to see some sort of intelligence behind the guy, that there's a reason he's Number Two.

Where has this all been?

A solid "A" in my book, the most I've enjoyed a TF comic in a long time.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

[reads Halfshell's Condensed Archive thingy.]

Okay, so I guess this is where the "you're on drugs-esque" segment of the thread begins.

Well...some nice, distinctive characterisations. An interesting twist on Sunstreaker’s already established character. The genocidal angle is a bit of a stretch, but it works. Starscream, who has reverted to scheming, is done tastefully enough
. Ratchet even gets a couple lines of dialogue.

It’s a tricky one. Like the previous issue, we get yet another info dump with continuity references tossed in for good measure. It's more or less welcome, but when read along with the first six issues, chronology starts to feel muddled (at least to me). This is not at all helped by news of the upcoming pre-sequel (no, I don’t mean prequel). So for example, this issue gives us two big disclosures – Sunstreaker is the traitor (and may have been killed) and Hunter’s current status is revealed, both of which are still active players in Maximum Dinobots. These revelations are interesting, but it sort of taints the experience of MD.

The flashback narratives are nice, but the present-time sequences continue to inch along. It’s kind of a similar issue I every so often had with Furman’s work – exposition is great when doled out accordingly, but it’s time for things to move along.

That's all I got out of this.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Got it. Loved it.

I've been so-so on this series so far. There have been moments I've enjoyed but they've always gone hand in hand with moments of utter rubbish. For every entertaining scene with Megs and Screamer, a scene of idiot humans being...well, idiot humans. For every flash of characterisation with Jazz, Ironhide, Thundercracker or hell even Roadbuster, a padded out action scene. And I'm not going to start on the horror that was the "millitary morons" (to quote Screamer himself) we had to endure in some issues.

But this issue delivers. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say so I'll just say what I liked about it.

Starscream: Yes, he's once more playing the traitor role but this is far different from the cartoonish treachery previously seen from the character, where he would loudly announce his desire to rule the Decepticons while standing less than five inches away from Megatron. Here he's portrayed as a clever schemer, using the dissent among his fellow Decepticons to strengthen his own position. His little chat with Bombshell shows him to be someone who knows how to sieze on oppurtunities and manipulate like minded individuals.

Sunstreaker: Loved the reveal of him as the traitor, partly because I didn't see it coming and partly because it fits his character so well. He's never given a damn about the humans and out of all the Transformers he's the one whose suffered the most at their hands. Captured, tortured, experimented on and turned into a freak. Why wouldn't he want revenge? Really hope the last scene of him wasn't a case of "redemption equals death" because this is probably the best written characterisation he's ever received.

The ending: Hunter O Nion, prisoner of Bombshell. Honestly didn't see that coming but loved it anyway, if only for the fact it shows Mccarthy isn't just ignoring all that's gone before. I have a sneaking suspicion that, if Sunstreaker is still alive, he's going to wind up bonding with Hunter again (Which would explain how Hunter still had a Sunstreaker body in that Mosaic one shot Furman wrote, that was set AFTER AHM)

Drift: After all this time just hovering around we finally learn a little about him. Ironhide's comments to Drift about how "he would know" how war can change someone, makes me wonder if Drift is maybe an ex-Decepticon who went over to the Autobot side.

Starscream's ally: I'm intrigued to find out who this will wind up being. I'm currently betting on Thundercracker as it's clear he finds the way the Decepticons are handling the invasion distasteful. Maybe he and Starscream want to change the way the Decepticon's operate? After all Starscream seems to agree with him that the more thuggish Decepticon's don't have a place in the future empire (Bad luck Skywarp).

Never thought I'd say this about an issue of AHM but I'd say this gets a 5 out of 5 from me.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Starscream's ally: I'm intrigued to find out who this will wind up being. I'm currently betting on Thundercracker as it's clear he finds the way the Decepticons are handling the invasion distasteful.
I think it's Scourge.

He was mentioned previously just kind of out of the blue. Gotta be a reason for that.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Would be cool to see someone who, y'know WASN'T part of the season 1&2 G1 cartoon cast (Okay, we got Deluge but that was a pretty brief cameo). Plus it would give the story a wider scope.
Decepticons forever!

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

StarscreamX wrote:Would be cool to see someone who, y'know WASN'T part of the season 1&2 G1 cartoon cast (Okay, we got Deluge but that was a pretty brief cameo). Plus it would give the story a wider scope.
Don't forget Roadbuster, Springer, Kup, Hot Rod, Thrift*, Ratbat and so on. Not that I'm trying to anyone here is rubbish and I'm not, no Sir.

Due to a cock up at my comic store last month I'm a issue behind and still won't see #7 till next week. Am completely "Meh" that the traitor is a guy who's actually done nothing in the first six issues except stand about. It's like one of those Scooby-Do's where the baddy is the guy who had one scene at the start of the show and wasn't seen again until being unmasked.

*Expect me not to let go of this one.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Commander Shockwav wrote:I think it's Scourge.

He was mentioned previously just kind of out of the blue. Gotta be a reason for that.
When was he mentioned?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Issue #6. Starscream blurts out his name while he's criticising Megatron.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Pretty good stuff IMO. I cant believe that Sunstreaker and Hunters involvement is something that has come about through fan protest though. It seems to be quite a decent hinge and maybe all the stuff from McCarthy at the start was a bit of misdirection so people wouldnt expect something that Furman set-up would be a major point of the series.

Starscreams character continues to intrest me, as does bombshell. The little bit of devlopment on Drift is decent as well.

Few niggles - Kups situation still doesnt really work in the grand scale of things. Got the feeling his scene with Ironhide was a nod to the spotlight but it still jars.

Perceptors Bomb shooting bit also came across a bit muddled for me. Are they going so fast that he just shot the bombs that were by his side in the tunnel?

Main problem though is that with 4 issues to go (granted, we now know there will be another small coda after) It still feels like we're just hitting the middle act.

Also, my heart sank a bit when I saw the preview for issue 9. The human army forces have been , by far, the worst bit of AHM. From the dull characters to the unclear world situation, it just hasnt worked when the fleshy characters are the centre of the story. Oh well.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Hopefully most of the human characters will be slaughtered en masse in the next issue. Should be worth a chuckle if that is the case (Would love to see Megs and Soundwave play "Wishbone" with that Witwicky moron. Whoever winds up with the biggest piece when they snap him in two wins)
Decepticons forever!

Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

Well that was a refreshing bit of quality. My hopes for this series have been restored. There are a few things I dont get though. Does Sunstreaker know that It was Scorponok that created the headmaster tech? Also, where is Mirage now? We didnt see him at all in this issue. When Kup says that Ironhide "cost him a soldier" is that implying that Ironhide Killed mirage? That may be a bt of a stretch though, probably just off line and off screen.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Seeing as Scorponok first unvieled himself to hunter steaker in devastation I'd guess that he does. I'm assuming he balmes the humans for helping scorponok (they did capture him after all).
borg72

Post by borg72 »

AWESUM STUFF LOL

happy?

actually i wasnt so keen. the pacing, dialog, reveal(s), etc all were good for this issue, but the actual series plot sems to be writing itself into a corner. Drifts' 'theres something else going on' makes me worried that theres gonna be some big reset button with "decepticons lose now" printed on it in big letters.

and other than squish hoomins, what are the decpticons actually, um, doing?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I think the point of it all is that when the decepticons defeated the autobot resistence they find themselves with nothing left to do. It jars a bit with the idea that theres a whole universe out there but its an interesting idea. Series painting into a corner? with four issues left, thats exactly what I'm thinking as well (altough unlike your goodself, I actually like the series)
borg72

Post by borg72 »

I got the impression from stormbringer (et al) that they were fighting over cybertron squatting rights, and who would control it once it was inhabitable. all the while, the deceps were going off scrounging up energon ready for the big homecoming day.

now it seems no one wants cybertron, no one needs energon, and everyone is content to just sit on their backsides.

the annjoying thing is that we know that there is a wealth of things that could be going on elsewhere in the universe as all this is(nt) happening, so why do we get page after page of 'awwww we broke the human' while the seekers walk around the rubble harrassing the insecticons out of boredom?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

the annjoying thing is that we know that there is a wealth of things that could be going on elsewhere in the universe as all this is(nt) happening, so why do we get page after page of 'awwww we broke the human' while the seekers walk around the rubble harrassing the insecticons out of boredom?
Maybe your missing the point (or more likely, you just dont like it). While Megatron is messing about with his grand tower construction and the matrix (which are probably interlinked somehow) the rest of his army have to stand around bored. You get the impression that the only force that the decepticons really had to contend with WAS the autobots. With that threat gone, whats left?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

We've already seen other alien races and galactic powers. There's no reason Transformers should get a free pass if they attack something those races actually care about.

A backwater mudhole such as Earth isn't necessarily going to attract many defenders, though.