[JTF] Kiss Players..does anyone really like this?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Maju Garzett
The only person I know that likes this stuff is Old Man Herbert down the street.

I didn't think he swung that way...
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Originally posted by Clay
I didn't think he swung that way...

Oh, old man Herbert does. You might even say he has a swing for it.
~
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Ostentatious
Oh, old man Herbert does. You might even say he has a swing for it.

No, I do not think he has any interest in underage girls...

Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Point taken...

Nevertheless, we all know he swings. With Popsicles.
~
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

For those interested in a pretty detailed write-up of the whole affair, we've put together a couple of articles on the subject over at the TF Wiki.

Franchise

Toyline

Fiction
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Best part:
There was not a small number of people, however, who claimed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with such a thing, and that everyone else simply wasn't understanding it was a "cultural thing." "It" being... the enjoyment of rape imagery, apparently. This, of course, is in defiance of the fact that several Japanese fans were themselves openly decrying Kiss Players, fearing that American fans would think that this was somehow accepted as "normal" in Japan.

:D
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Several Japanese fans? What is that...like 3 or 4? Somehow I think the yays would outweigh the nays given the amount of media both printed and video that displays this sort of thing in Japan. Surely it has to have some widespread appeal, especially considering the vast amount of material available on a large scale there.

I think that the only reason anyone takes any issues with Kiss Players is the fact that it is a toy company putting this media out. Which I'll admit it a bit tasteless, but it sure is funny and interesting from a story line perspective.
Chris McFeely
Protoform

Post by Chris McFeely »

It's as niche a thing over there as any "perversion." I mean, yeah, they make tons of it - they make tons of comics and about chicks with colossal cocks, too, but that's not "normal." See, kids weren't really all that hepped about Transformers a year or two back (not really sure if the success of the movie has changed that or not, but one can hope). Galaxy Force had ended on a total fizzle - Menasor, Quickmix and maybe a few others weren't actually *released in toy shops* over there, they line was doing so poorly. And those are characters that were *in the show.* So TakaraTomy basically turned to a sub-group of people that they *knew* they could sell to - these older, creepier male collectors.

As for taking issue with it... well, I think most people would take issue with female characters drawn to appear underage being thrust into situations that evoke violent sexual acts. It's just that it normally remains that niche thing that they don't have to deal with, and then suddenly... it's the main Transformers line in Japan for a year-and-a-half. It being done by a toy company is certainly WORSE, but it's not a particularly nice thing in the first place. I certainly find the story absolutely *fascinating* myself, but I don't find *any* humour in the concept.

What's *particularly* interesting is the way that Teletraan Go! Go! and Kiss Players Position are essentially devoid of the whole "HUR HUR RAPE" thingie. There's a bit of moe, but that's a different animal that doesn't involve slobbering penis-tentacles. But they're all done by the same guy who also did Kiss Players (Yuki Oshima), so it makes you wonder who was poking him with a stick and saying "More strategic nudity!"