Don Murphy update

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Are you going around slandering everything else because "Geewun was 1st d00dz0r BW woz gay becoz Optimus was a munky One!"? If "yes", then "yes". If "no", then "no".

But you might want to look up what "Generation 1" encompasses, some of you. It's more than 98 22-minute toy commercials. We're talking some of the best toy franchise-based comics of all time [Larry Hama? hahahahahahahahahaha...] procuded on both sides of the atlantic, some genuinely good toys, some genuinely loveable toys, best art of another hundred episodes from Japan... it goes on and on.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Are you going around slandering everything else because "Geewun was 1st d00dz0r BW woz gay becoz Optimus was a munky One!"? If "yes", then "yes". If "no", then "no".
Of course not. Generally speaking, I try not to belittle people for their views (however...I apparently come off as high-and-mighty or morally-superior sometimes, and that's not good either :()
But you might want to look up what "Generation 1" encompasses, some of you. It's more than 98 22-minute toy commercials. We're talking some of the best toy franchise-based comics of all time
Yep. Had them. Good stuff. But, we were only talking about the cartoon here...so I didn't want to get into the rest of that.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brimstone
we were only talking about the cartoon here...
No, your statement was:

"am I lumped in with that "f*cknuts" comment because I like G1"

'Generation One' is around twenty-five chronologically separate continuities (ie, ones that don't slot into the same timeline because they contradict each other.)

Cliffy was just picking out some parts of 'G1' he thinks are crap. The vast majority of his personal site is dedicated to 'G1' material.

My WTFWTT award goes to City Of Steel, which is kind of like the Magic Roundabout for Transformers...
Originally posted by Screamwaves7
go to a Energon website
You're posting on one, although I can ensure that you won't be if you think you're going to dictate what other people discuss.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Denyer
No, your statement was:

"am I lumped in with that "f*cknuts" comment because I like G1"
Fair enough.

But, the only conversation I've been involved in, essentially, is about the cartoon...and that I like the cartoon...trying to explain why I like the cartoon better than say Armada or Energon even though they are obviously of better quality.

It's not that Armada or Energon suck...quite the contrary, I enjoy them too...just not as much as I enjoy G1. <shrugs>
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Brimstone:
it is not fair to compare Transformers: Generation 1 to the modern good animation shows.
Incidentally—yes it is, I think. Animation is a very small part of a cartoon compared to script-writing, voice-acting and continuity. Just like you can put on a compelling stage performance with one guy telling the story and a few props.

Ultra_something_or_other:
I q test because my opion does not coinside with your's not to mention with out G1 none of this other garbage with bad scripts and writing and s**t animation would exist!!!
I'd dispute that. Transformers wasn't the major milestone in the history of animated robot shows; to a large extent it just 'borrowed' a whole load of stuff from Japanese TV and bought out some existing toylines.

For example, Getter Robo goes back to the early 70s.

Current TF lines could have skipped right over 'G1'. Robots (and those which combine or turn into vehicles) have been popular for decades.

Hasbro's "novelty" was to blend popular Azimov-era concepts (self-determining robots) with the practicalities of foreign toys.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I think the bigger issue is not about whether you like G1 more or not.

In regards to series, I love Beast Wars the best. In regards to Genre, G1 will always be my favorite.

But some G1 kiddies lately are giving this whole "WHAT I SAY IS FACT!" atmosphere to their explanation (no necessarily you, mind). The "Go to an Energon board!" comments from newbs against vets of the board are really dumb, and then they state "G1 is the best!" like there are no arguements...people don't take well to that kind of take on things.

People are free to love G1 and hate the rest. Enjoy that world. But to those who are angry at the rest of us for either being 1) open-minded, or 2) Fully understanding of why WE might not like a particular genre because we actually watched the damned thing, I would suggest to them to go back to my "live and let live" comment...without the smartass ending.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Without the old Ford T model, there wouldn't be the cars we know today. Still doesn't mean the old T was the best car ever.

STFU!!!11!!!11oneoneoneshift

m0d31 7 pwns joo.

/sorry. I had to... play enough video games, and you pick up on that trash.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Brimstone
But, when it comes right down to it...I enjoy the G1 better than the latest stuff.
And if that's your thing, fine. Despite what Screamwaves or whomever was saying, noone's said you couldn't (that I can tell). My primary issue was with people who say that because it was first, it was best (or what have you).

And frankly, I like Gen 1. I find it enjoyable to watch on occassion, and have seriously considered investing in the DVDs. I do, however, recognize that it was severely flawed, and not necessarily the brilliant work of art some make it out to be.
They did it with He-Man...and made 3 very enjoyable seasons of cartoons.
Meanwhile, the toy line died a slow horrible death...
I don't really want any cross over characters from the other shows.
I don't like the idea of blending the universes either. I don't think E Hot Shot should show up in a G1 movie. I think most of the comments about the newer shows were directed more toward the trolls who have blinders on when it comes to anything post-1988.
And I don't think that because that's what I like that that should make me a "fanboy jagoff." <shrugs> (of course, I don't think I'm being an ass about it either...at least I'm trying not to be...which I think was what you were really probably getting at with that last sentence?)
Not at all. That comment wasn't directed toward you at all. To be honest, I have no problem with you. You seem like a perfectly rational human being, and, while we may not agree on every single detail, I certainly don't think you're a jagoff. Not yet, anyway...

EDIT:
Hey, f*cknuts, this is an Energon website, in that it's a Transformers website. And if I ever see scum like you trying to order a decent poster around, your arse becomes my personal football, understand?
Originally posted by Denyer
You're posting on one, although I can ensure that you won't be if you think you're going to dictate what other people discuss.
Um......yeah...:p
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

IMO, the style of the animation in the show are not important, because this will be something new, previously unseen ... i don't really like the animation in Energon, i preferred Armada and RID.

Story .. i want some sort of G1, because the recent series are pointed more on the toyline than to a decent continuity: Armada have his own story, and TF as disguised as possible, while Energon have a different story, Bot reformatted without explaination of sort, and TF among us ... and Galaxy Force will be probably another "10 year after, everything is changed" ...

Overall, according to the sources, this will be a G1 inspired film, so BW and Armada or Energon Character or feature are no matter of discussion.
I Think He man is a good show, and this is the real point, because i don't want a Movie done only because Hasbro want to sell another toyline.
Originally posted by fort_max
Ah, but you've unintentionally proven the point everyone's been trying to make, which is nostalgia doesn't make a crap show good.
Some recent adaptation of old Movie (Hulk ... ) are far from the level of their anchestor ... new is not better, only better done
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Thanks, Cliffjumper. You said basically what I would have. :up:

Just my thoughts:
Originally posted by Screamwaves7
Hey PaladinPrime and Fort_Max.......why don't you log off, and accept other people LIKED the G1 Transformers.

I accept it. What I don't accept is when someone comes in, claiming that everytyhing else is garbage because it's not Gee-Wun, especially since the other series tend to be produced at a higher calibre than the original cartoon.
If I'm not mistaken....it's a G1 movie, not a mix of all the crap in the new millenium (RID, Armada, and Energon)

It's a movie, set in that universe, yes, but that doesn't mean you can just dismiss everything else as crap, especially since your beloved cartoon can't stand on it's own. It has to be propped up on nostalgia.
If you wanna mock G1 so much, go to a Energon website, I'm sure they'd be glad to have you two.

If you want to slag off all the other TF series, go to a solely G1 website. This website is for every series, and we don't like your kind here (the kind that only like one series, and decide that everything else is crap).
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Ghirox
I Think He man is a good show, and this is the real point, because i don't want a Movie done only because Hasbro want to sell another toyline.
But you have to remember, Hasbro is a business. They're not going to do a movie solely to do a movie, because they're not going to see very much (if any) of the profits. Hasbro's main concern is going to be the commercial tie-ins. For them, that's where the money is.

And I never said He-man wasn't a good show. But the only people who cared were people in their twenties, and ours is not exactly a large demographic. We were the only ones buying the toys. And for any company, that's the death toll for the show.
new is not better, only better done

Never said it necessarily was. I was simply refuting what was said.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

And frankly, I like Gen 1. I find it enjoyable to watch on occassion, and have seriously considered investing in the DVDs. I do, however, recognize that it was severely flawed, and not necessarily the brilliant work of art some make it out to be.
Yes, I agree with that. Although I do own the DVDs. I did notice the other day that Part 1 of Season 1 of Armada is out on DVD...or will be soon...I'll probably get that. It was a lot cheaper than the G1 DVDs. Still, I'd like to see Beast Machines and RiD on DVD (just because I haven't seen either of them at all).
Yeah, I know. :( Which was really too bad because the toys were great as well (in my opinion). I've seen many reasons for why the show and toys ended (don't know which, if any, were true)...but it did have a 3 year run (or was it only 2?), and that's not so bad. I would have liked it to continue of course...but it was cool while it lasted.
I think most of the comments about the newer shows were directed more toward the trolls who have blinders on when it comes to anything post-1988.
Yeah, should have figured that. I guess I just wanted to show them to have faith...there are some G1 fans that aren't so bad. :)
You seem like a perfectly rational human being, and, while we may not agree on every single detail, I certainly don't think you're a jagoff. Not yet, anyway...
Well...I don't know if I'd go so far as to call myself rational...after all...I am spending a lot of money on toys that are just sitting on my shelf...I appreciate the comment though. :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

I Hate Dirge
Protoform

Post by I Hate Dirge »

Just on a slightly different note, am I the only one who thinks that the re-cycling of G1 characters names in other series shows a distinct lack of imagination on the part of the writers and/or Hasbro?
"A Bad day for me is still better than a good day for anyone on your side of the freeway".
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Well, it has more reasoning. Hasbro loses the rights to any names they don't use in one year. That's why you have "Battle Ravage" instead of Ravage, "Silverstreak" instead of Bluestreak, and Hot Shot was meant to be Hot Rod.

Other ways they've gotten around it is to call the characters "Autobot Jazz" if the name Jazz was already taken.

But yeah, that's why a lot of the names have been recycled, to keep them in circulation. Beast Wars had a lot of recycled G1 names, but the majority ended up belonging to repaints that didn't make the show, with exceptions (Inferno, Megs, Silverbolt...) Most characters had their own names that better related to their character. Beast Machines as well.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

"Battle Ravage" and "Autobot Jazz" are due to the fact that the terms "jazz" and "Ravage" CAN'T be trademarked anymore due to modern-day tradmark law, so they had to ad prefixes like "Autobot" or "battle" to make them trademark-able.

The cases of Bluestreak and Hot Rod show that trademarks that have actually been lost require some more inventive substitutes. If you could simply slap "Auotobt" inf ront of a trademark you don't own, Bandai could release a "Superfight Optimus Prime" toy.

If you want to know more about trademark law, I suggest you to read this and this.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
I Hate Dirge
Protoform

Post by I Hate Dirge »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why do they lose the rights to any names they don't use in a year?
"A Bad day for me is still better than a good day for anyone on your side of the freeway".
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by I Hate Dirge
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why do they lose the rights to any names they don't use in a year?

It's not necessarily a year, but you have to use a trademark every once in a certain time or you lose it.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by I Hate Dirge

My guess is, one has to renew trademarks every so often to prevent companies from keeping ones they weren't using. If that weren't the case, someone could possibly sign up for a trademark and never use it, or a company might wind up keeping the trademark on something they stopped producing three decades ago.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Max has it. Basically, it's to prevent name-hoarding. You have to justify having a trademarked name by using it within an annual time (I heard it was a year)

When they don't use them, they're up for grabs after this time. Then, anyone can register those names for themselves.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Pun-3X
Max has it.

In spades.