Old but useful advice for fiction writers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Old but useful advice for fiction writers

Post by Denyer »

windsweeper
Protoform

Post by windsweeper »

I found those links very informative and more importantly, encouraging.
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Thanks for the advice.I will be back if I forget.
superquad7
Protoform
Custom Title: TFW2005 Supermod

Post by superquad7 »

Is the "Writing Worshop . . . " article available at another place? Perhaps it's something on my end, but I'm unable to view it . . .

Otherwise, these articles are absolultely priceless!
Check out my "Transformers: Alterations" by clicking above! (But don't click my homepage!)
Clay

Post by Clay »

It seems the owner of its host site has quit paying the bill.

I recently gave a presentation about Paradise Lost and fan fiction at an academic conference back in March. I don't think any of the sources I used for that article are available directly from the web, but I can point you towards some very useful and interesting texts if you haven't otherwise found what you needed.
superquad7
Protoform
Custom Title: TFW2005 Supermod

Post by superquad7 »

Originally posted by Clay
It seems the owner of its host site has quite paying the bill.

I recently gave a presentation about Paradise Lost and fan fiction at an academic conference back in March. I don't think any of the sources I used for that article are available directly from the web, but I can point you towards some very useful and interesting texts if you haven't otherwise found what you needed.

Typically, when I run across resources like this, I'll copy + paste to a .doc file or something. I do this a lot with articles about kitbashing and the such (and I did it with Rob's articles). I was thinking that someone had maybe mirrored it in some way to be able to repost it as such.

Also, if you've done similar work, I think it would be very bennefical to myself as well as the fandom, if you could point us in the suggested direction ;)

Thanks, Clay!
Check out my "Transformers: Alterations" by clicking above! (But don't click my homepage!)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Henry Jenkins' Textual Poachers is a fascinating read. It deals with more than just fanfic, but there's some great analysis of that in there.

Er, if you're wanting to write some fanfic, the book details the most common ways it's approached. Jenkins calls it "ten ways to rewrite a tv show"--

1) Recontexualization. i.e., filling in the gaps of the broadcast material. For example, someone did a short cgi Beast Wars comic based on the concept of that unproduced episode called "Dark Glass" in which Rattrap uploads a copy of the original Dinobot's memory into the TM2 clone. It was cut for budget and time contraints if I remember right, but the fan comic based on the episode synopsis is the perfect example adding a new layer of context to something that's already there.

2) Expanding the timeline. A great example of this is going on is this very forum - andersohn1's Obsidian's Lament.

3) Refocalization. This method typically picks an obscure character and centers an entire story around him/her/it, much like the spotlight comics do.

4) Moral realignment. If you want to flip the series universe on its head, or add another layer to it, you can do it this way - take a Decepticon and make him a war hero under their own terms.

5) Genre shifting. This is taking a comedy and rewriting it as a drama, or vice versa. For Transformers, it'd be less like giant robots fighting and more like a children's book, i.e. Little Omega's Second Big Adventure.

6) Cross over. This is pretty well-known - all the TF/GI Joe comics are examples of this.

7) Character dislocation. Basically, switch the roles of Optimus Prime and... oh, I don't know, maybe Tote. Character dislocation explores how the typical situations play out with characters swapped around.

8) Personalization. Think, "and then Optimus Prime, with the help of [insert your name here], defeated the mighty Megatron..."

The last two are
9) Emotional intensification.
10) Eroticization.
... I can't think of examples of those within TF stuff. Maybe the kind of stories Starscream fangirls write to cheer themselves up? I dunno...

Anyway, those are the ten ways Jenkins identified as being common among fanfic. Obviously, no story is going to hit on all ten of them without specifically trying, but most fanfic has elements of more than one of the above. As you've probably figured out, a lot of the professional media stuff works in some of the same ways. (some of them even apply to kitbashing!)

Anyway, if you're intrigued, pick up that book. It's a good read.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Gremlin
Protoform

Writers Resource,Much Thanks

Post by Gremlin »

:) :cool: It's nice to see people,who give
a darn about,fun with transformers and encouraging creatives,so interesting bits are explored. There guys that are kids about it,loving
to death. Others Who expand on the fun,and do something Excellent.
All is good. Transformers is something unique in itself,coming from
the originality of it all. Robotech,Star Trek,Star Blazers are the same,
you know when you see it.

From all the guys on this sight,linkshave inspired one to do something original,to wow a bunch of freaks.
One of our projects is custom,near indestructable bicycles. I do have
Autos and Decepts in the works. The first bike will be Auto. It's
very torquey,top speedy and heavy duty. Surprise until it's done.Shortly.

Thanks to many,for the author's resources,art,models,anims/motions. There's one sight that I know,for now. Poerty.com

Mucho Gracias. Any writings,art,music,custom bike bits will be uploaded here,when-how.
:cool: :)
Nick Dickens
Protoform

The TF universe version of Crisis on Infinate Earth

Post by Nick Dickens »

This probably seems like a really obvious idea, or at the very least a very old idea. But has anyone ever actually done a multi-universe story for Transformers like the legendary DC Crisis on Infinite Earth stories.

I grew up on the great Simon Furmans work in the UK Transformers comic from Marvel UK. Target 2006 and Time Wars were my benchmark for all TF comics and except for his later run on the US title I think that these issues (along with the various GI Joe team ups/Vs stories, as well as the earliest US issues are THE benchmark of quality writing, coupling intriguing plotlines, characteristics and character development that can compete with any comic stories.

I was just wondering if anyone had done a story that crossed Gen 1, Gen 2, BeastWars and any of the other permutations that the Robots in Disguise have gone through. I have a few ideas that I'd like to take a crack at developing and would love any feedback or comments to this. ;)
Nick D
verytired

Post by verytired »

There was the 3H production when they ran Botcon, Universe (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Universe_%28comic%29), which has Unicron stealing Transformers from across the multiverse to empower him with their sparks when they fall in gladiatorial bouts between each other...
Not quite Crisis, but it's the main Multiversal story and the first to put forward the idea that Primus and Unicron exist across the boundaries of realities.
Apart from the IDW universe, hopefully.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Nick Dickens
This probably seems like a really obvious idea, or at the very least a very old idea. But has anyone ever actually done a multi-universe story for Transformers like the legendary DC Crisis on Infinite Earth stories.

Yeah... unfortunately they read more like Infinite Crisis than Crisis on Infinite Earths. (Though I've never been very keen on the former either, it seems to stand up quite well as a classic bit of storytelling, something the latter-day stabs at it haven't pulled off...)

Some BotCon stuff's here: http://www.botcon.com/archive/story/index.html
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Clay, I feel slighted by the link to the book you provided.

Not ONE mention of either the Transformers or C.S.Lewis' The Abolition of Man in the entire index (which is presented).

HeMan and Thundercats got mentioned in the book though.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Links updated.
Dinobot#1

Post by Dinobot#1 »

So I'm confused where are we supposed to type fanfics?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The thread title's fine;

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote: Image
That's a very promising start. When will Part 2 be out?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I don't know, where's the pay off to the promise of a holiday? Was Denyer trying to pull off some sort of double bluff where he was tricking us into thinking there'd be a holiday only for there not to be? Possibly, but like the people who claim his occasional mis-spelling is all a very clever joke rather than a cock up I remain to be convinced.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think the whole point is that there isn't a point. The idea of nothing really happening on holidays beyond banal internal monologues about local meterological conditions is a valid observation that sums up the dead-end of evolution Transformers the species have found themselves in.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

Can we submit to you first to see if it is apt and not too slashing or gross?
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.