[UK] Judge Dredd partwork

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

[UK] Judge Dredd partwork

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/

Not seen anything on the telly. Obviously you' be mental to get the lot but the first one is £1.99 for a lovely hardback with swish painted art and well worth a punt as a cheap sampler, enjoying it a few chapters in.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They've certainly started with one of the best regarded Dredd's there.

That reminds me, I need to catch up on the last few Complete Casefiles books.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers. Good spot.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

There's also some wee B&W pocketbook versions of key Dredd stories doing the rounds, which have been about for a couple of years now.

This thread has prompted me to finally look into buying 'The Scorpion Dance' , which was an arc I really enjoyed back when I read 2000AD regularly. Its not a flashy arc, but there was lots of Judge DeMarco and her fall from grace, which I enjoyed reading :)

I noticed the original black hardback Marvel collection is still going strong (up to #80 with Howard The Duck) - which I found confusing as another Marvel Hardback (in red livery - ooh) has also launched!

Might pick up the Dredd thing if I see it about...
AndrewDTurnbull

Post by AndrewDTurnbull »

It's pretty good, the trade dress is nice and America is one of the high points of Dredd.

I am one of the mentals who will be getting the lot.

Andy
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...picked up America and really enjoyed it. The follow up stories were decent too - sometimes I find with Dredd they have this great initial story and then is mined again and again to diminishing returns.

Case in point : #2 in this collection Mechanismo. Its a serviceable enough story, but has an unnecessary sequel. Bit of a shame this wasn't used to satirse Robocop, which shares a lot of similarities with Dredd.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

AndrewDTurnbull wrote:I am one of the mentals who will be getting the lot.
Meant more from the point of view that I guessed the material was already avaliable in an overall cheaper format, cf. the recent Marvel collections, rather than Dredd fans being mental. Apologies if I'm misinformed.

(I did nab some of the Marvel ones cheap from work... World War Hulk and F4 - the End showed me I didn't miss much, Old Man Logan was just the same old Marvel future dystopia and the Kevin Smith Daredevil one didn't really live up to the hype but the MI13 one wasn't bad and I did finally get around to reading the end of 1602)

Also enjoyed America and the rest of the material - brave to set a series that needs popular approval off with a political story that barely features Dredd and also features him at his most antagonistic regardless of quality. But not really getting much of a yearning for more.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

All this reminds me of is my failure to collect all the Finnish albums which apparently only received a one printing so some of them fetch absurd prices in the aftermarket, and I already got about seven of them (there's 30 in total I think) - but considering the stories were all printed horrifically out of order (just he first album has random stories across the chronology), I think the complete casefiles might be more easily acquireable.

Also, you guys seen this right?
Attachments
1423241155793.jpg
AndrewDTurnbull

Cliffjumper wrote:Meant more from the point of view that I guessed the material was already avaliable in an overall cheaper format, cf. the recent Marvel collections, rather than Dredd fans being mental. Apologies if I'm misinformed.

(I did nab some of the Marvel ones cheap from work... World War Hulk and F4 - the End showed me I didn't miss much, Old Man Logan was just the same old Marvel future dystopia and the Kevin Smith Daredevil one didn't really live up to the hype but the MI13 one wasn't bad and I did finally get around to reading the end of 1602)

Also enjoyed America and the rest of the material - brave to set a series that needs popular approval off with a political story that barely features Dredd and also features him at his most antagonistic regardless of quality. But not really getting much of a yearning for more.
No apology necessary, I think I missed an emoticon out there.

I was swithering about getting it, but that's a nice looking trade dress and it tipped the balance.

2000ad has their own podcast and each episode funnily enough is focusing on the Dredd partworks. They said they'll be doing the big epics (no surprise there), Dredd's world - (Anderson - mostly the beautiful Arthur Ranson work from the Megazine. Get Satan when it comes out I recommend it, Devlin Waugh and from the looks of things Missionary Man) and thematic collections - they mention Heavy Metal Dredd getting a collection).

They've said it should be a good represetation of Dredd all in, but not designed to be a complete collection - Case Files takes care of that.

Oh the Marvel one was a bit meh, a few gems in there - Daredevil Born Again, some early-ish Peter David Hulk but a lot of stuff that didn't appeal, and also a curious absence of a lot of material that would sell, no Jim Lee era X-men that sort of thing.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, we were saving it for someone at work and I had a nosey at each one and it seemed very, very biased towards recent-ish (i.e. Joe Q era) stuff with only the odd sop to 20th century material thrown in. I guess they needed the movie crowd for the sales and it was great that they didn't just cram the line with Stan 'n' Jack (especially the same old origin stories that have been reprinted a gajillion times), but there did seem to be a lack of... variety. As I say, the daftest thing about the Marvel one was that all of them were already avaliable.

At least the silly DVD partworks finally seemed to have been killed off.
AndrewDTurnbull

I was genuinely surprised Hachette didn't do a DC graphic novel series. The only thing I can think of is the terms of Titan's deal for republishing DC material in the UK prevented it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Would a DC collection sell well though? Outside of the big 3 (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), you're left with Green Lantern and Flash that the general public would recognise. Their characters don't seem as if they've taken root over here the same way the Marvel stable has - as evidenced by the UK newsstand where you've got a decent overview of the MU in the 7 comics Panini do vs the Justice League monthly and Batman titles (2 - i think) that Titan do. They did launch a Superman title off the back of Man Of Steel, but I have no idea if that's still going.

In related news, I've been hunting around and finding that the old Hamlyn 2000AD collections are pretty cheap these days. Have to say, I do prefer the oversized nature of these old UK reprints, compared to Rebellion's current US format trade paperbacks. A personal thing, I suppose, but the art just looks so much nicer presented at 'full size'.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

AndrewDTurnbull wrote:2000ad has their own podcast and each episode funnily enough is focusing on the Dredd partworks. They said they'll be doing the big epics (no surprise there), Dredd's world - (Anderson - mostly the beautiful Arthur Ranson work from the Megazine. Get Satan when it comes out I recommend it, Devlin Waugh and from the looks of things Missionary Man) and thematic collections - they mention Heavy Metal Dredd getting a collection).
Had a punt on a second hand copy of 'Satan' - off your recommendation and also because I love Arthur Ranson's detailed work (Mazeworld is still one of my favourite 2000AD stories ever).

Also having a go with the Dredd story 'Fetish' and have 'The Pit' plus ABC Warriors 'Khronicles Of Khaos' and two other randoms on order. (A Dredd story 'Babes In Arms' and a Slaine one - 'Warrior Beyond Time').

I've re-read my little pocket book 'Dark Judges' book and have decided Anderson is pretty awesome - are there any of her adventures worth looking out for? Seems to be an old 4 volume collection through Titan Books that looks cheap and cheerful enough...

Likewise any other 2000AD books that might be worth a look? There's such a lot of stuff out there and I've had potted dips in and out with 2000AD over the years and find (as with a lot of long running stuff) its difficult to know where to start.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Khronicles Of Khaos looks gorgeous and is neat silly fun... lots of nostalgia for that one (friends collected a lot of 2000AD including the original trade paperback of it) and I was really happy to find it got reprinted.

I enjoyed the olympic taxidermy arc particularly as well, although I suggest not reading the subsequent story in which the lead is written out and the original intro tale could be skipped as well. The former send-off is needlessly grim and superfluous.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taxidermist-200 ... 90751984X/
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

that looks weird. I'll put it on the list!
AndrewDTurnbull

The best Judge Anderson tales I would say would be Triad, Shamballa, (Arthur Ranson on both), Engram, The Jesus Syndrome (Ranson again) and Childhood's End.

Wikipedia has a very nice list of Anderson tales here that is of some help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Anderson

Andy
AndrewDTurnbull

Denyer wrote:Khronicles Of Khaos looks gorgeous and is neat silly fun... lots of nostalgia for that one (friends collected a lot of 2000AD including the original trade paperback of it) and I was really happy to find it got reprinted.

I enjoyed the olympic taxidermy arc particularly as well, although I suggest not reading the subsequent story in which the lead is written out and the original intro tale could be skipped as well. The former send-off is needlessly grim and superfluous.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taxidermist-200 ... 90751984X/
Big fan of Khronicles of Khaos (not so much Hellbringer afterwards) as there is some lush art from Kev Walker and of course what happens to Joe Pineapples during the story. If only the internet had been a big thing back then.

Second the recommendation of The Taxidermist. I have a fondness for the original tale due to Cam Kennedy artwork and for once a character kind of getting the best of Dredd.

Andy
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Looks like the Taxidemist is a goer then :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The same people are doing a Doctor Who one that's basically a collected version of the Andrew Pixley Archives 9with extra bells and whistles) in fancy hardback form:

http://www.dwcompletehistory.com/the-collection

I don't normally do partworks but am hugely tempted by this as a decent collection of Andrew's work is something I've wanted for years and it sure does look nice. Assuming it goes nationwide I might go for this despite the clear insanity of the cost.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm all done with partworks. I enjoyed the DW DVD collection, which has given me a handsome back catalogue of episodes and an enyclopedia. I'm not sure I'd be that super-interested in a making of set like these (i usually skip stuff like Fact Of Fiction in DWM). I did enjoy that 'Regeneration' book about the McGann TVM though, that's right good that is.

In 2000AD related news, I landed a small collection of the old Hamlyn UK sized reprints (cheap as chips on ebay, if you're not some mad completionist).

I got : ABC Warriors : Kronichles Of Khaos & Hellbringer - turns out I read these back when they were being published and had totally forgotten about them, so that was a pleasant surprise. Great fun and some nice sharp satire from Mills (I don't think there's a better satricial comic writer than Mills when he's on form) and lovely art from Kev Walker.

Slaine : Warrior Beyond Time which collects Treasures Of Britain and another one that I've forgotten the name of and these are proper boss. Always a bitluke warm on Slaine, but these stories with their riff on Arthurian Legend are brill.

Judge Dredd : The Pit & The Scorpian Dance - good, solid Dredd yarns about policing in the corrupt Sector 303. Also featuring Judge Galen DeMarco, whom I think is lovely :)

Judge Dredd : Fetish & Babes in Arms - Megazine tales, first one's pretty good with its rare foray outside Mega City One and the second is trashy '90s Big Gun comic book nonsense.

Judge Anderson : Satan . Arthur Ranson for the win! Great ambiguous story about Satan coming to Earth.

Also cheered that the (at the time) much maligned Rose O'Rion got reprinted as a free giveaway with Judge Dredd Megazine, so was pleased to land a copy of that. It's cheerful space thief nonsense that'd have Halo Jones hanging her head in shame, but its fun and nicely drawn.

...probably some others I got, but can't remember. I think I'd have gone for the partwork thing if it was based around 2000AD as a whole, rather than just Dredd.