Alan Moore stops being polite

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:In terms of horses for courses I thought the Benny Hill bit was the most painful moment in an otherwise OK film, seemingly the result of some Americans asking themselves what a British chat show would be like without bothering to watch any and coming up with "Well, probably like Conan O'Brien... but with Benny Hill music".
When I read the book that whole sequence didn't make any sense to me because of Lloyd's poor artwork and I was way too young to understand the complexity of the book the first time I read it (I was about 14). When I re-read the book after the movie came out I actually understood what the point of it was. Plus IMHO Stephen Fry is one of those actors that makes movies better because he's in them, even if he has a small part in a movie he steals the show.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Lloyd's poor artwork
:o
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

That sequence's not in the book anyway is it?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Don't think so - wasn't Fry's character a replacement for 'Gordon' from the book - Evey's charming bit of rough!
SMITH
oJ7gJ3tQ5l
Protoform

Kvinder Fitflop Butik Pietra Bronze 2k tjekkisk tip Spin 4

Post by oJ7gJ3tQ5l »

Jeg og mine venner kom vist de fremragende punkter på din hjemmeside så alle de pludselig havde jeg en frygtelig følelse, www.fitflopsandaleronline.com/hot-salg- ... -p-67.html jeg ikke havde takkede blog ejeren for disse tips. De fleste af de damer var absolut derfor glade for at studere dem og har i kraft ekstremt nydt dem. Mange tak for blot at være godt hensynsfuld og også for at gå til disse typer af høj kvalitet guider millioner af enkeltpersoner er virkelig desperat for at være opmærksom på.Newton Running Selskabet har sat sit præg på at fremme en sko, www.kobeskodk.com/rabat-fitflop-via-nub ... -p-40.html der hjælper med at forbedre kører form og teknik. Ved at hjælpe en runner opnå optimal drift form skoen ikke kun understøtter og puder foden ved nedslaget, Kvinder Fitflop Butik Pietra Bronze men rent faktisk kan hjælpe en atlet at blive mere effektiv og mindre skade tilbøjelige over tid. Newtons Action / Reaction Technology fremmer en mid fod strejke og hjælper med at øge fremdrift ved engineering en sål, der absorberer anslagsenergien og omfordeler den til fremdrift.Iført den / Brug ITI tidligere har brugt en Garmin GPS ur. Hvilket didn arbejde indendørs, www.billigefitflopsandaler.dk/køb-fitf ... op184.html og jeg kun havde det i løbet af dagen, og kun optaget under træningen. Mange kører jeg glemmer at starte optagelsen, eller gøre det halvvejs gennem løb. Jeg har set den slags turneringer USACA bringer til folket. Overvejende sub standard og uorganiserede på grund af manglen på disponible midler. De skære hjørner overalt, de kan, for at kompensere for de manglende midler, og derefter bebrejde den anden person, når noget går galt.Baseret på den fleksible, kraftfuld CMD Titan (TM) hardware / firmware-platform, det giver en betydelig ydeevne og funktionsforbedringer, maksimerer det fulde potentiale af nye høj hastighed grænseflader opfylder behovene i høj båndbredde og I / O krævende applikationer, og giver mulighed for OEM'er for at tilpasse dens udseende. En række kunder over hele verden forsendelser af CRA 7280 blev foretaget i oktober under en beta-test En test af nye eller reviderede hardware eller software, der udføres af brugere på deres faciliteter under normale driftsforhold. Beta test følger alpha test. Leverandører af softwarepakker ofte tilbyder deres kunder mulighed for at beta-teste nye udgivelser eller versioner, og programmet . xboter 2014
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:That sequence's not in the book anyway is it?
The whole talk show scene is in the book.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Which page? I haven't seen the film in years so maybe I'm misremembering the sequence you mean.

I also forgot Roger Allam was in this. He's surely the best thing in it, not 'anything-for-a-few-bob' Fry? :D
SMITH
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:So what? Some threads don't need to run on for hundreds of pages. Some work best when they're just one page. And since your previous post you stated that you don't read comics, why don't you actually talk about the Watchmen, V For Vendetta, From Hell, or LXG movies instead of acting a possible troll? When I bump up an inactive thread I TRY to have something to add to it.
What I meant was that I don't pay any attention to post dates. When I see a thread so close to the top, I assume it must still be fresh.

But since you brought it up...I do find certain irony in the fact that for all the comics I supposedly don't read, it turns out I still read a lot more than my associates. Like when my friends were raving about the new Judge Dredd movie, after some discussion it turns out I'm the only one in that group who has actually read the comic the movies are based on. I haven't seen the new movie, but it probably goes without saying I wasn't too happy with the Stallone one.

And on the actual topic - I have finally acquired myself a TPB copy of V for Vendetta at least. I never got around to seeing the movie, so when I found it at a flea market - and I think I saw a cheap plastic Guy Fawkes mask in the same booth, which probably says something about the seller - I bought it and all I can say is...I really do have to force myself to put it down, because it's such a damn good story, but I don't want to eat it all at once, you know?

I did go to amazon right after though to check out if I had grossly overpaid for it (I hadn't), but on hindsight, I wish I'd just left this there and bought a nice hardcover edition instead. And speaking of which, there's apparently some sort of expanded edition with 100 extra pages, but it fetches a fairly big penny on the aftermarket?
inflatable dalek

Tetsuro wrote:What I meant was that I don't pay any attention to post dates. When I see a thread so close to the top, I assume it must still be fresh.
OK, generally we're pretty cool when it comes to bumping old threads, but you did post one line that basically boiled down to you knowing nothing about what was being talked about, nor did you seemingly have any interest in it.

Then, having done one necro bump you do another a month after the thread was last posted in to argue with someone who found this a bit odd (though at least you added a bit on the subject afterwards this time. Though I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with the "or all the comics I supposedly don't read" bit when you're the chap who claimed you don't read comics). So for future reference, because we don't want to be mean mods, don't bump threads unless you've something to add. And, whilst we're usually OK with letting people have a certain right of reply if someone comments on them, restarting an argument a month later should be considered a no no as well.

And that is the last anyone will be saying on this subject in this thread. Everyone back on topic now.

Did you make it to the Comics Exhibition in the end Terome?

Oh, and this reminds me:
me! wrote:Indeed, the bit in the book where you're meant to think Adrian was targeted was what firmly moved me from "Well, it probably isn't him because it seems too obvious" to firmly knowing he dun it as it's basic murder mystery stuff that, if a group of people are being bumped off one by one and one of them survives an attempt on their lives, that they staged the whole thing to throw attention off themselves.
Having just watched all of Poirot, Agatha Christie did this enough to (just with that one detective it happens about four times) to make me wonder if the bit in Watchmen was an intentional homage to her...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The chatshow wasn't in the book at all. IIRC the rough equivalent to the chatshow host (takes Evey in after V sends her out alone into the world) was Gordon, the black marketeer initially 'in' with the party who's murdered by the Scottish thug (Ally?) who takes over The Finger after being hired by Creedy.

TV broadcasting is basically ignored after Dascombe's killed off until V takes out the towers at the start of the last book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vend ... phic_novel
inflatable dalek

Plus, that scene is completely unlike something anyone who has ever seen British TV would ever write.

Did the "Superimpose a mouth over a celebrity photo and have it talk" thing actually pre-date Conan O'Brien (the only reason I assume he does it is because in the Robot Chicken Star Wars sketch with the same joke he does his own voice as the host)? If not, it would have been really advanced of Moore to write a scene spoofing an American chat show host who must have been about six at the time.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:If not, it would have been really advanced of Moore to write a scene spoofing an American chat show host who must have been about six at the time.
Not unless I missed something and V for Vendetta was actually written in 1969.

Which would make everything else in the comic pretty advanced too...
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote: Did you make it to the Comics Exhibition in the end Terome?
I did not! I used up all my London travel credits on seeing family and friends and most of them were unenthused. I did go to the Spitting Image exhibition at the Cartoon Museum though. Everyone could agree on it and it was pretty well put together.

Puppet-orientated political sketch shows are a niche that really needs to be filled again.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

This thread has just made me re-read V for Vendetta. Like reading 1984 now, its depressing how a lot of the stuff in this has become reality.

Its funny satire seems to have died off a in television land. 2DTV (Spitting Image's spiritual successor) has been gone for years, as has the BBC's bleak Monkey Dust, Bremner, Bird & Fortune is gone which just leaves Have I Got News For You and copycat show Mock The Week. Hmm.