Selling/Trading Comic Stores in Cambs/East England?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
JDandCoke7
Protoform

Selling/Trading Comic Stores in Cambs/East England?

Post by JDandCoke7 »

Hi folks,

Odd question probably, but does anyone know of a reputable place in the Cambridge/East of England area that would trade/buy old comics?

I 've got a bunch of stuff I'd like to shift (90s X-Men/Gen-X mostly, but some DW and IDW TFs), but can't be arsed with the rigmarole of ebay again, so was hoping to find somewhere to get shot of as much as possible in one go.

I've seen the trading post forum here, but I've not been active enough on the forum to trigger access - at least I'm assuming not as I rarely get the chance to post. (which is another reason I'm reluctant to use ebay if i can help it - lack of time with an ankle-biter to entertain).

Any suggestions welcome - I'd rather get something for them than nowt but have no idea if there's any easy/lazy way of doing it! Of course, if anyone wants to PM me and make me an offer, let me know! :p

JD
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

TBH I charity-shopped my IDW TF singles, including the handful of "special" covers. For the titles you've mentioned, I doubt you're going to get anything much... may as well pass them on to someone who'll read them?

There's a Forbidden Planet in Cambridge. No idea if they buy collections, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I can tell you from bitter experience that with very few exceptions (early 1980s Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne stuff, the occasional later significant issue), X-Men comics are bloody impossible to shift. I tried to ebay my ones at 49p each with bare minimum postage and sold something like half a dozen out of hundreds. Singles over the past 25 years don't seem to fetch much if there's a TPB out, at least not in the UK.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, I suppose I've just been saved the listing fees on my IDW comics. Lining for the cat litter tray then?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Well, I suppose I've just been saved the listing fees on my IDW comics. Lining for the cat litter tray then?
I got rid of most of mine in bundled arc sets for around £3-4 a pop. It depends what you're after - to me, that was a bunch of comics I don't really like and have scans of effectively swapped for a few GI Joe figures I wanted.

The problem with comics on ebay is postage, in a word. Selling singles can be hassle and lead to a lot of unsold listings; bundle too many together, though, and you make it too expensive for people who just want 1 or 2 issues and generally drive the postage up. Packaging can be tricky too, as you generally need some sort of backing. Even if you have a supply of stiff but not too thick card around (say, a big pile of cereal boxes) it can be a boring process cutting it up into comic-sized portions.
JDandCoke7
Protoform

Post by JDandCoke7 »

Denyer wrote:There's a Forbidden Planet in Cambridge. No idea if they buy collections, though.
Yeah, already asked in there and they dont - the guy even went so far as to say that few independent stores will risk the wrath of their suppliers to buy in as well, though don't know how much truth there is in that.
Cliffjumper wrote:The problem with comics on ebay is postage, in a word.
That's been my problem in the past - I think I fluked it before getting rid of my Ultimates as I had the entire run and found a buyer who lived close enough they were prepared to come and collect. Otherwise, always seem to have watchers/lurkers, but no bidders.

Oh well, maybe one last stab at it, then I'll take whatevers left up to Addenbrooks before the wife slings me out with them!

Cheers guys
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'd be interested in knowing what the IDW and DW stuff is. I live right by Addenbrookes and I doubt IDW's stuff is so bad that it ought to go in the incinerator. Might be happy to take 'em off your hands.

X-men's not really my thing though :)

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie